Air conditioning

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 561 times

#1 Air conditioning

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:10 pm

For those of you who live here, if you need a new air conditioner I have a recommendation for you. One of my old air conditioning units needed to be replaced. I checked around and there is a fairly new technology that I had never heard of. An inverter rather than a standard fixed speed compressor. The inverter is more expensive, but not that much more. Supposedly it cuts electrical use by around 30% and supposedly runs much quieter.

I decided to try it. I called KJ Air Service (see: http://www.kjairservice.com ). They sell inverters and their location is close to me. If you go up Soi Khao Tolo from Sukhumvit, their office is only about 100 meters from Sukhumvit, on the right, although there really is no need to go to their office at all. They'll come to you.

I made an appointment for them to come and help me decide just what I need. Their representative showed up precisely at appointment time. He said the unit I need is a 9000 BTU unit, smaller than I thought I would need. He recommended a Samsung unit.

Next day their crew came, also right at appointment time and set to work. Removal of the old air conditioner, compressor, installation of the new one, and also servicing another air conditioner in a different room took 4 hours They had plenty of covering sheets to protect the furniture. They hauled off all the old equipment, did quite a thorough cleanup (although I did have to do a little cleaning up of my own after they left, but very little).

The entire cost came to exactly 20,000 baht. It has a 1 year guarantee.

As far as I'm concerned it was money very well spent. It's doing a fine job of cooling my bedroom. It comes with a remote control. Unfortunately the owner's manual is entirely in Thai, but it doesn't take much to quickly figure out what all the functions do. You don't need to be a rocket scientist. I could not find an English version of the manual online. Of course, the technicians speak very limited English and there was one function I couldn't figure out. By the time I understood what it does, it turns out to be a self-cleaning function that should keep the pipes clear of any buildup. I could do with the same thing for my arteries . . . I asked the technician how often I should use it. He said to use it all the time. Just set it and forget it.

I'm not worried about the manual being entirely in Thai. The worst that can happen is if I have any questions I can go to their office or have a Thai boy who is fairly good with English explain it to me.

And one of the best parts is it really is quiet - very quiet. At first I wasn't even sure it was on. I can't hear it at all.

I'm pleased with KJ Air Service and happy that I decided to go with the inverter. I have another room in which I'm soon going to replace the air conditioner. I wanted to make sure I like the inverter before deciding to buy a second unit. That decision is made. When I replace the second unit, it's going to be the inverter.

If you're going to need a new air conditioner I definitely urge you to go with an inverter. Again, I'm quite pleased with KJ Air Service and any additional work or service I need, they're going to be the ones I call.

windwalker
Liked: 156 times
Been liked: 53 times

#2 Re: Air conditioning

Postby windwalker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Actually it is an inverter within an air conditioner. An inverter is used to convert DC current to AC current. Bottom line is this type of air conditioner does not shut on and off to control the temperature rather the compressor motor can run at variable speeds to control temperature. A clever idea.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#3 Re: Air conditioning

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:27 pm

windwalker wrote:A clever idea.

Thank you. Until you explained it I still wasn't sure just what an inverter is, but obviously I'm quite pleased with it. Do you have one?

whogivesatoss
Liked: 8 times

#4 Re: Air conditioning

Postby whogivesatoss » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:10 pm

All our a/c units at home here downunder are inverter based and they are much cheaper to run and they work much more efficiently. Yes more expensive up front but the running costs much better.
John from Downunder

Coming home to reality after a period in paradise is so hard ;-)

windwalker

#5 Re: Air conditioning

Postby windwalker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
windwalker wrote:A clever idea.

Thank you. Until you explained it I still wasn't sure just what an inverter is, but obviously I'm quite pleased with it. Do you have one?

No, never heard of it until you posted the info. Had to look it up on Google! Kind of odd, taking AC line current and using a rectifier to change it to DC current and then using an inverter to change it back to AC to use with some sort of AC motor.

mahjongguy
Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 46 times

#6 Re: Air conditioning

Postby mahjongguy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:28 pm

Our bedroom unit is 18,000 BTU. When it rusted out 18 months ago we put in a Daiken inverter. It cost about 20% more than the old-style product. Truly, the outside unit is quiet as a desk fan, and it uses at least 30% less electricity. Got the PEA bills to prove it.

jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.
Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

#7 Re: Air conditioning

Postby jimnbkk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Just to clarify some misinformation in the previous posts in this topic: The job of the inverter is to change house power (AC = Alternating Current) to DC = Direct Current. The resulting direct current/voltage is used to power DC compressor and DC fan in the outside unit. (The inside unit is not mentioned in the article/video so I don't know what kind of power it uses). The outside unit apparently never completely shuts off, just slows down when the house has reached the set temperature. My only question is I wonder if this arrangement (keeping the unit on at all times) has any effect on it's lifetime.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#8 Re: Air conditioning

Postby Gaybutton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:36 pm

jimnbkk wrote:My only question is I wonder if this arrangement (keeping the unit on at all times) has any effect on it's lifetime.

Why would you keep it on at all times? If I'm going to be out of the house, traveling somewhere, or the temperatures don't necessitate air conditioning, I just turn it off.

windwalker

#9 Re: Air conditioning

Postby windwalker » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:26 am

jimnbkk wrote:Just to clarify some misinformation in the previous posts in this topic: The job of the inverter is to change house power (AC = Alternating Current) to DC = Direct Current. The resulting direct current/voltage is used to power DC compressor and DC fan in the outside unit.

Here is article on wikipedia regarding inverter type air conditioners, either right or wrong. According to article the incoming AC is rectified to DC and then inverted back to AC in some form to regulate speed of the compressor,etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioner_inverter

Up to You to verify or deny or clarify.

Jun
Liked: 128 times
Been liked: 89 times

#10 Re: Air conditioning

Postby Jun » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:23 am

Well if we must get technical:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

Drives are a growing business, as the cost of the electronics keeps coming down and the efficiency becomes more important.
With all the extra power electronics, buying a reliable brand seems like a good idea.

Return to “Thailand”