Richard Burk has died at 70

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Richard Burk has died at 70

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't have many details yet, but sadly the information is reliably confirmed by the British embassy. Richard Burk died last night after suffering a heart attack.

Many of you knew Richard from his many years running the Amor restaurant in Boystown, followed by the Street Life restaurant at the same location.

For me, Richard's death is a sad personal loss. Richard and I have been close friends for many years.

Richard also gave me one of my favorite quotes, which I have posted many times over the years: "If you want love in Thailand, rent it."

I'm going to miss Richard. The last time I saw him, he joined our group for Christmas dinner.

Since leaving the restaurant business, Richard became a teacher at a local school and he loved the work.

If and when I receive further details and/or funeral arrangements I will see they are posted.
firecat69

Re: Richard Burk has died at 70

Post by firecat69 »

RIP Richard!
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Although I never met Richard, I do remember hearing about the Amor. I'm glad to learn that he found a calling that he truly found fulfilling his his final years. I'm sorry for your loss.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Oh my, Richard, seventy is too young.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

It's a sad day to hear that Richard Burk has passed away.
A good friend of mine and many... Beloved by Thais for his kindness and sharing.

RIP .... You will be missed by many whose lives you have touched. Indeed you did make a difference in the lives of many Thais.

Over recent years Richard would share his talents with my Thai bf. Teaching him many of his delicious recipes. We would meet and go to the market to buy the ingredients and in our kitchen Richard would teach him how to cook. Followed by a dinner afterwards. Such good times shared.

In most recent year Richard taught English and science in the government school on Second Road and Pattaya Tai. He got the job when he shared his updated resume with schools in the area. He truly loved his past year teaching.

Interestingly enough he was offered the teaching position by the same Thai which first taught Richard the Thai language many years ago in Pattaya.

DavidJarrett

Post by DavidJarrett »

I am very sad to learn of Richard's death. I generally stayed in Boyztown on my 8 trips to Pattaya, from 2004 to 2012 -- usually 2-3 weeks long each visit. So I always had dinner at Amor a few times each trip and really enjoyed talking with Richard. We chatted a lot during the afternoons. I particularly loved a couple of his homemade soups !!! I would generally have two of the same soup. Fortunately, I took some nighttime photos of Richard standing in front of Amor, his first restaurant, in both 2008 and 2010. Amor opened on 2 April 1994 and had a long run. I also took a photo of Richard in front of Street Life in 2011. In addition, I took several good architectural photos of his condo on soi 4 in Pattaya, where he lived until he died. Good memory photos. :cry:
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

This is really sad news.

I haven't seen Richard for years but remember him as always being a person with remarkable "class".

I wish him clear passage to the next life.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

I used to enjoy visiting with him at both Amor and Street Life both. I don't recall hearing he'd found a niche teaching afterwards.
May he be at rest.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bao-bao wrote:I don't recall hearing he'd found a niche teaching afterwards.
I don't remember whether that was posted before, but he was teaching for the better part of the last two years or so. He enjoyed the work and I understand he was a popular teacher. Obviously it's a sad loss for the school too.

Inquiries have been made as to funeral arrangements and trying to find out more details about what happened to him, but so far nobody has been able to come up with any further information than has already been posted. The only thing I know is Richard had said he has no relatives, so I would imagine the British embassy is currently in charge of any arrangements.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

May he rest in peace. Most of my dealings with Richard were at his various restaurants beginning of course, with the Amor. I bumped into him at Foodland a few months ago and we visited for about 10 minutes or so. He mentioned he was teaching and really enjoying it.