Tourist arrested for stealing Bt1,400 from Chiang Mai temple

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jogger

Tourist arrested for stealing Bt1,400 from Chiang Mai temple

Post by Jogger »

An American tourist has been arrested for stealing Bt1,420 from a donation box at a temple in Chiang Mai.

A man named by police as Michael William Dewey, 48, was arrested late on Friday night in front of a guesthouse in Tambon Chang.

His arrest followed a complaint by the abbot of Wat Nong Mor Khamtuan in Tambon Sriphum that a western man broke a donation box and stole money on Friday morning.

The abbot, Phra Khru Praphat Sudkij, said the man was seen stealing on footage from a security camera. The abbot alleged that the man rode his bicycle to the temple to steal from it twice.

Police said the tourist initially denied the charge but when he was confronted with the footage, he admitted it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30342171
Gaybutton

Re: Tourist arrested for stealing Bt1,400 from Chiang Mai temple

Post by Gaybutton »

This man must be some kind of nut to have done something like that, and had done it twice. 1420 baht amounts to about US $45. What an utterly stupid, senseless thing to do.

He finally admitted it. I hope there will be a follow-up article that states his answer to the obvious question: Why?
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

He must be desperate. If he turns out to be destitute then I suppose I get why he might try, but on the face of it it sounds disgusting.

What can he expect to happen now?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:What can he expect to happen now?
I have no idea, but whatever happens I doubt I would want the same thing happening to me.

Maybe a judge might tell him he has to replace the money he stole, pay a fine of 10,000 baht for committing the crime, and another fine of 100,000 baht for being an idiot.