Camping in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Camping in Thailand

Post by Dodger »

Thailand has hundreds of National Parks which permit camping many of which have ranger stations where camping equipment can be rented cheap, i.e. tents, sleeping bags, cooking supplies, etc. so I've decided to give it a try. Just into my fourth month of official retirement I'm looking forward to doing some of the things I didn't have time for when working back in the States...camping being one of them.

I will be heading out to spend a few nights at Khao Yai National Park which extends from Prachinburi to Saraburi which is reportedly one of the best Parks in Thailand. I will be driving early-morning from my boyfriend's home in Buriram to Khao Yai and plan to arrive early in order to get a campsite near the base of the waterfall. My boyfriend will be busy cutting patterns and sewing his new dress designs at his home/shop and I've elected to make this inaugural camping trip riding solo.

Khao Yai is well know for its abundance of wildlife including; elephant, macaque, barking deer, sambar deer, gibbon, porcupine, civet. Other not too easily seen mammals are bear, gaur, otters, dhole, jackal...and possibly some other interesting two-legged mammals walking around to grace my camera lens. The waterfall has 7 tiers and waking up next to the roaring sounds of the falls will be just too good. There are natural pools at the base of the Falls which are reportedly great for swimming and I plan to take a fishing pole along just in case.

FYI...Entry fees into the National Parks are extremely economical (200 - 400 baht). You do not have to pay extra to camp over-night and can stay for as many nights as you chose. Most parks have washrooms with showers (cold water I'm sure).

February should be great...cool nights for sleeping...no mosies (I hope).

If I survive I will send you an update to let you know how it went.

Life is and Adventure - Not a Destiny
Jun

Re: Camping in Thailand

Post by Jun »

Well good luck. I camp in England, but wouldn't dream of trying it in a country with high temperatures like Thailand.
Well, actually if you can somehow get a tent pitch which does not catch the early morning sun & boil you out of the tent it might be OK. Do let us know how it goes. Well done for trying it.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Camp men:

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
aussie

Post by aussie »

Waterfalls at Khao Yai are great in rainy season, especially the majestic Elephant falls. I stayed in one of the many resorts just outside the park with my then Thai bf and brothers from Korat. It gets quite cool at night.