Anything About Bali?

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
xiandarkthorne

Anything About Bali?

Post by xiandarkthorne »

With all the recent unrest in LOS, I've been thinking about going to Bali instead for my next holiday in October. I've discovered that there's a gay beach, and that the hotels there are actually quite competitively priced. But apart from the fact that there are a few gay bars and that the Kuta cowboys are all straight and for ladies only, there's been very little else about holidaying there.

What I'd really ike to know is -

a. Are there rent boys for gay guys, and how much should I expect to pay for long time as well as short time?

b. How much should I expect to pay for food (street food - I am not a fan of restaurants), and is it going to be priced entirely in US$?

c. How much should i expect to pay for transport to and from the airport? As well as transport getting around the island?

Information on things ike that would be much appreciated.

Xian
I'm too old to be an enfant terrible so I'll just have to settle for being an irrrrrrrascible old fart! My Blog is here http://xiandarkthorne.blogspot.com/
thai4u

Re: Anything About Bali?

Post by thai4u »

I am no Bali expert but I will try and answer your questions.

A. The gay scene is not organized like Thailand, but you should be able to find gay companionship without too much problem. I think there are three gay bars all located in Legian. It is also easy to meet gay guys on the beach. As to what to pay is up to you and your new friend. I should think you would pay 200,000 to 350,000 rupiah for short time, but depend on the guy and what you expect him to do.

B. You can eat very cheaply if you eat like the Indonesians. They have food carts that are very inexpensive. Many of the backpacker restaurants are not expensive either. It will be priced in Rupiah. If priced in US dollars, it is going to probably be a tourist trap.

C. I found transportation a problem in Bali. If you are brave, you can rent a motorcycle. There are metered taxis or many guys asking "transport." Of course, transport cost from the airport depends on where you are staying. Kuta would be the closest destination and the cheapest. After walking past most of the touts/taxi drivers, I was able to negotiate a price of 25,000 rupiah from the airport to bemo corner in Kuta. Many places in Kuta and Legian list prices on a board for travel to Ubud and other desirable tourist places.

Hope this helps.
xiandarkthorne

Post by xiandarkthorne »

Dear Thai4U,
Thanks for this very informative post. It has certainly given me a much better idea of what to expect if and when I should ge to bali for a holiday.

I am actually quite surprised at how much cheaper than I had thought it was going to be, e.g. 25,000 rupiahs is less than Ten Malaysian Ringgit (about US$10)! I would pay at least 5 times that amount for a similar taxi ride from the airport to my home where I live. As for food, I have always made it a policy to eat local wherever I have travelled, and since I don't drink alcohol any more, I'll definitely save a bundle there, too, I expect.

Once again, thank you for the update.
I'm too old to be an enfant terrible so I'll just have to settle for being an irrrrrrrascible old fart! My Blog is here http://xiandarkthorne.blogspot.com/
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

So about $100 for a guy from the beach?
Pattayamale
Living happily
xiandarkthorne

Post by xiandarkthorne »

Pattayamale wrote:So about $100 for a guy from the beach?
Sounds about right and definitely cheaper than LOS. This bears looking into, methinks.
thai4u

Post by thai4u »

The last I checked, the exchange rate was about 8,900 rupiah to the US dollar. A $100 US would be a very generous tip.
xiandarkthorne

Post by xiandarkthorne »

thai4u wrote:
The last I checked, the exchange rate was about 8,900 rupiah to the US dollar. A $100 US would be a very generous tip.
I think Pattayamale was referring to Malaysian Ringgit and and not US Dollars, as he was asking about my calculations from the post before his.

And Beachlover, if you check out Gay Romeo, you can actually find many gay non-money-boy types there. I know I did. My problem was that the ones I asked about living expenses and stuff like that probably didn't understand what I was talking about, so I never got any informative replies from them.

And I most certainly DID NOT dare to ask them about moneyboys.

Xian
penguin

Post by penguin »

Spotted an article on the Sticky Rice gay Asian travel site about a new men only resort in Seminyak, Bali.

From their website, it looks likes the sort of place I'd go out of my way to avoid, but that may just be the website design.
Keyvan

Post by Keyvan »

Do not confuse Balinese with Indonesian, they are two entirely different species. Apart from the fact that 99% of Balinese are Hindu and 90% if Indonesians are muslims [remaining 10% are HIndu, Christian, Confuscious, Buddhist], they are completely different in attitude, life style, and sex life!

Rent boys are freely available in the Legian/Seminyak/Kerobokan areas. not just in the gay bars of Dhyana Pura, Seminyak, discos of Double 6, but just about everywhere in that general area...but they are almost all Indonesian Muslim mostly from Surabaya. Very few Balinese but in the village areas, such as up in Amed, they are also freely available but in a more matter-of-fact way as almost all are straight but just like sex!

Spartacus Bali is an all gay hotrel in Kerobokan [they all want to call that area Seminyak as it is more trendy!]

http://www.spartacvsbali.com/

Just about all hotels in Bali are gay friendly provided you are discreet! Even the room boys often do not mind the occasional grope as they show you how the bathroom works! Bali boys are rarely gay but they are all hot as long as it is just casual action, subtle, they all enjoy a quick head job!

Use Bluebird Taxis, new in Bali from Jakarta, all use meters and are strictly controlled. For long trips do a deal with a cute young transport driver with his own car, it will be a fun day.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

xiandarkthorne wrote: c. How much should i expect to pay for transport . . . . . getting around the island?
Sorry, can't be much help as I have forgotten how much I paid (it was easily affordable), but a few years ago I hired a car (a small jeep-type car) for a few days, went to Ubud and further north to the coast. Apart from a run-in with a traffic cop (similar to when you get pulled over in Thailand, say no more) it was incident-free and a great way to see a lot at your own pace.