Fraser's

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

Fraser's

Post by lvdkeyes »

There is a newly opened sports bar & restaurant on Thrappaya Road above News Cafe. It has been open about a week or so. We had breakfast there this morning. We had Eggs Benedict (2 poached eggs with "vagina" ham on a baguette with Hollandaise sauce) with endless mug of coffee or tea for 145 baht. Obviously, the vagina ham is a misprint for Virginia. The eggs were perfectly poached and the Hollandaise was just right. The baguette in place of the traditional English muffins worked well. The coffee was quite good. The place is minimalist, but comfortable. The most expensive item on the menu is Wagyu Australian rib eye for 425 baht. We will absolutely be going back.

http://www.fraserspattaya.com/
bkkguy

Re: Fraser's

Post by bkkguy »

from their web site menu:
Alcohol!
Because no great story ever started with someone eating salad
sounds like my type of bar!

bkkguy
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Another vote for Fraser's, good food, good value, friendly service although a bit slow considering the number of diners eating breakfast. Free tea or coffee refills adds to the value. In this area perhaps Ogara's is the competition who's breakfast I really enjoy. Being on the baht bus route and with free parking this place should be a hit. Small menu but they serve Thai food too.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This evening RichLB and I tried Fraser's for dinner. We were both very pleased. We each had the same thing - the lobster bisque and the hamburger deluxe. We both really enjoyed it and there was certainly more than enough to eat. We were also delighted with the staff, service, and the layout. No long waits for the food or the bill either.

We met the owner, Stuart, and let him know that how much we liked it. He said he's only been open for a week.

We will definitely be back, and probably often.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Up2u wrote: Small menu but they serve Thai food too.
There are a total of 63 items on the menu not including the "Build your own sandwich" items. They also have about 12 small snack items listed on a card on the tables which are not on the menu. I wouldn't call that a small menu.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I guess small is in the eye of the beholder. The menu is inclusive of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I always like a nice salad and/or soup as my starter. I like a lot of pasta choices. I reserve burgers, sandwiches and pizza for lunch where I was yesterday at Carl's Jr. I am sure the menu will expand in the future.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

lvdkeyes wrote:We had Eggs Benedict (2 poached eggs with "vagina" ham on a baguette with Hollandaise sauce)
Without a proper English muffin it's not real Eggs Benedict.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

This recipe originated in the United States. It is traditionally served on split, buttered English muffins.
8 50g free-range eggs
Pinch salt
8 slices ham speck
1/2 baguette (French stick), thickly diagonally sliced
50g butter, at room temperature
1/2 bunch fresh chives, cut into 5cm lengths

Easy Hollandaise sauce

200g unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 tablespoons hot water
Ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat grill on high and line a baking tray with foil. Poach eggs.

To make the easy Hollandaise sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Use a metal spoon to skim any foam from the surface. Pour the clear yellow butter into a heatproof jug. Discard milky residue. Place egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and 1/2 the hot water in a blender. Blend on high until mixture is pale and thickens slightly. With the motor running, add hot butter in a thin, steady stream. Add remaining water to thin the sauce slightly. Season with pepper, and extra lemon juice and salt, if necessary. Half fill a large bowl with warm water (if water is too hot, the sauce will curdle). Pour sauce into a small bowl and place in the large bowl.

Place the ham speck on the lined tray. Cook under preheated grill, turning once, for 4-6 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Place the baguette slices on the lined tray and cook under preheated grill, turning once, until toasted. Spread with the butter, if desired. Turn the grill off and cover the bread with foil to keep warm.

Reheat eggs by bringing a clean pan of water to the boil then removing it from heat. Add eggs. Stand, covered, for 1 minute. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.

Place toasted bread on serving plates and top with ham and eggs. Stir Hollandaise sauce and drizzle over the eggs. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

How to Make Eggs Benedict
A classic for Sunday brunch, New Year's morning or for that special person in your life! The Hollandaise sauce can make it or break it, so master it and you will surprise your family or guests with your hidden culinary talent. Start with Step 1 below to learn how to make the perfect Eggs Benedict!
Note: The ingredients listed below make 2 servings, but the recipe can easily be doubled.
StepsIngredientsTips and Warnings
Ingredients
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), cut butter into 10 pieces and freeze them
Pinch of salt and pepper
For the Eggs Benedict:
4 slices Canadian bacon
(2 English muffins, split)
2 teaspoons white vinegar
4 eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
Hollandaise sauce, recipe above
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

There are numerous variations of eggs Benedict; some with smoked salmon, some with crab meat, some use ham, some Canadian bacon, some American style bacon, some with foie gras, some with asparagus, some on toasted bread, some on English muffins, crumpets, waffles. I could go on and on with variations. Who's to say which is the real deal? That's what cooking is all about; making food the way you like it. This is my last comment on eggs Benedict.