Major step toward same sex marriage in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Major step toward same sex marriage in Thailand

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:56 am For me, the emotional reasons would be enough but I consider the hospital decision issue to also be a practical one.
I suppose that is each person's decision as to how to look at it. For me there is no practicality in choosing to marry because of something that could happen. Not enough of a reason for me.

Again, my question is not whether emotional reasons are good reasons to marry. My question is on a practical basis, "what is in it for me?" Is there any practicality in a same sex marriage to a Thai for the farang. If there is, what is it? So far nobody has come up with anything I see as practical rather than emotional.

I guess maybe another way to phrase my question would be "What tangible, not emotional, reasons are there for the benefit of the farang in a same sex marriage to a Thai? In what way(s) does it help you?" Other than the 400,000 baht reason, I can't think of a thing. Unless there is something that hasn't occurred to me, I prefer to keep my relationship(s) status quo.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am Again, my question is not whether emotional reasons are good reasons to marry. My question is on a practical basis, "what is in it for me?" Is there any practicality in a same sex marriage to a Thai for the farang. If there is, what is it?
From what I've been reading here, getting married might have tangible benefits for anyone who is too young to get a retirement visa or for anyone who wants to legally work.
I guess most board members are untroubled by such considerations.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Besides the fact that an estimated 4 million Thais belong to the LGBTQ community - the fact that Thailand will be the first country in SE Asia to finally level the playing field and recognize the rights of ALL people regardless of their sexual identities is definitely worth celebrating.

I'm especially happy for the Ladyboys of Thailand, who for centuries have been forced into a destiny where getting married to a man was not permitted. Ladyboys...girls trapped in boys bodies, who, according to Buddhist beliefs, were born this way as the result of misdeeds done in a previous life, will finally be FREE of this stigma and can marry the man of their choosing. I'm saying "man" with the understanding that a good majority Ladyboys prefer partners who are str8 of bi males. As far as I'm concerned it's the Ladyboys that have always set Thailand apart from all other countries and add the "A" to Amazing Thailand. This is their time and I couldn't be happier for them.

A lot of the discussion on this thread is about OUR perspectives about marriage as gay farang, but I think this new law will be even more impacting on the Thai culture itself on a much broader scale. Up until now gays could only marry symbolically in Buddhist ceremonies which are typically orchestrated by the Thai family - where monks from the local wat perform the blessing. I know because I've experienced this myself first-hand. Quite an experience I might add.

How will this new law change the dynamics of some of these Buddhist traditions - some which stem back thousands of years? I guess only time will tell - but my guess is that Thai society will accept these changes with open arms...see gay marriage as a process where "good karma" is gained...and ladyboys can finally enjoy having the same opportunities in life that those girls with real tits have.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am
I suppose that is each person's decision as to how to look at it. For me there is no practicality in choosing to marry because of something that could happen. Not enough of a reason for me.
If you're not emotionally involved with anyone that's all the reason you need to avoid ever get married. That's the only practical solution.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am"What tangible, not emotional, reasons are there for the benefit of the farang in a same sex marriage to a Thai? In what way(s) does it help you?" Other than the 400,000 baht reason, I can't think of a thing. Unless there is something that hasn't occurred to me, I prefer to keep my relationship(s) status quo.
all of the articles I have read on marriage under Thai law - straight or same sex after the new amendments are promulgated - list a number of benefits that I can see for many people would easily justify changing their relationship status under Thai law to married - without trying to distinguish between tangible or emotional reasons - with very few downsides

once that decision is made, for couples where one partner is a falang, the idea of changing Immigration status from retirement extension to marriage extension is often not a preferred option, the 400,000 Baht reason is often not that convincing given some of the other conditions for a marriage extension

but as Jun has pointed out for some couples there may be other considerations relating to Immigration status, and as Dodger has pointed depending on your current situation none of this may be relevant to you.
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Just one more question - perhaps somebody knows:

If a farang marries a Thai, but continues with the retirement visa rather than the marriage visa, if the farang dies does the Thai still have access to everything including bank accounts or is a will required?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:04 am Just one more question - perhaps somebody knows:

If a farang marries a Thai, but continues with the retirement visa rather than the marriage visa, if the farang dies does the Thai still have access to everything including bank accounts or is a will required?
The type of visa that a legally married farang had when he passed away. i.e., Retirement, Marriage, Work, Education, etc. is irrelevant as related to marriage inheritance law.

Regarding Wills: From what I learned years ago when researching this the answer technically (legally) is no, you don't legally have to have a Will if you're married to a Thai - although most legal experts in Thailand strongly recommend having one none-the-less.

Based on what I learned I plan to always maintain (update as needed) the Last Will that was created years ago just to be on the safe side. I would also strongly suggest that any retired expat residing in Thailand have a Last Will covering his/hers assets in Thailand regardless if they're married or not. Hell, if you're not married or in a relationship with someone just leave it to #14 - he'll appreciate it... :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:46 am I would also strongly suggest that any retired expat residing in Thailand have a Last Will
But what if I want to take it with me . . . ?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:01 am
But what if I want to take it with me . . . ?

According to Buddhism the only things we ever truly possess in life will in-fact be making the journey with us.

hummmmmmm...
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:18 am the only things we ever truly possess in life will in-fact be making the journey with us.
I wonder if my best friend would like to go with me.

"My wife ran off with my best friend. Now I have no dog."
- Rodney Dangerfield