Richard Burk has died at 70

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Richard Burk has died at 70

Post by Gaybutton »

readerc54 wrote:many seem to have a common denominator: growing old, and gay, frequently has a bleak outlook.
"Old age is no place for sissies."
- Bette Davis
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

It certainly isn't. A sense of humor is among those qualities that can help keep the blues at bay.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Just came across this thread as I don’t check in that often when not near a trip to LOS. I’m very melancholy now thinking of many good times I had at Richard’s restaurant Amor when I first started traveling to Thailand. That’s the only way I knew him and never saw him again after it closed but I knew he was still around Pattaya when his name came up on this board. He was a restaurant man’s restaurant man. Always came to the table to chat and I always enjoyed it when he did. He made us all laugh out loud in December 2000 after the U.S. election when he recounted that “…in 1555, Nostradamus predicted: Come the millennium, month 12, in the home of greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the leader.” He did preface it by apologizing to any Log Cabin Republicans who might be present.

He once indicated that the restaurant business was a struggle and he didn’t profit much by it. That’s true of most restaurants, especially the small ones. But he always seemed genuinely cheerful and despite his hardships I imagine he wouldn’t have done life any other way. I know what you mean, Gaybutton, by the life is unfair sentiment. But at least he had bounced back and had some time to enjoy it. Too many others, particularly in Pattaya, meet their fate at rock bottom. And I think he enjoyed his years in Thailand. (Does anyone know how long he lived there?) He was well-known and well-liked by many and this thread is a testament to that.

Thanks for posting the information Gaybutton and any updates that may follow.

RIP Richard. Thanks for the memories and the meals!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote:He made us all laugh out loud in December 2000 after the U.S. election when he recounted that “…in 1555, Nostradamus predicted: Come the millennium, month 12, in the home of greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the leader.”
Not bad, really. He only missed it by 16 years . . .

Maybe someone else knows precisely, but to answer your question about how long Richard had lived in Thailand, I believe it must have been somewhere between 20 to 25 years.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The British embassy has received the autopsy results and has confirmed that Richard's death was due to a heart attack.

It is my understanding that if no one claims Richard's body, and so far no one has, he will be cremated along with any other unclaimed bodies under the jurisdiction of the embassy. I don't know the time limit before such a cremation will take place. I also don't know where this sort of cremation will take place, whether there will be any announcement, or whether any kind of funereal ceremony will be included.

I was also advised of a web site called Farang Deaths, a site I had never heard of. Information about Richard's death is posted on that site. Apparently most of their information was obtained via this board and was so cited. See: http://www.farang-deaths.com/case/richard-philipe-burk/

At this point I have no additional information.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

On Monday my Thai bf contacted the Attorney which handled the set up the sale via a Thai company ...
and the sale of Richard's condo which was sold in December 2015-January 2016.
NO Will was known by the attorney. He was aware of the death.

Richard does have a Thai bank account with a balance of at least 800,000 Thai baht.++
He confirmed that to me in an email to me when he sold his condo.

As his retirement visa (extension of stay) was due at Thai Immigration in April of 2016.
He was relieved that he would have the funds on deposit long enough to get the visa extended for another year.

Tj
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Gaybutton wrote:Not bad, really. He only missed it by 16 years . . .
Yes, true, but this time it’s more the village troll, eh?

Gaybutton wrote:Maybe someone else knows precisely, but to answer your question about how long Richard had lived in Thailand, I believe it must have been somewhere between 20 to 25 years.
I met him in ’99 so Amor must have been relatively new then? So it shut down because his business partner absconded with the funds? It was busy every time I was there so seemed to do good business. It was a Boyztown institution for years.

He’s departed the body but I hope some type of memorial for his spirit gets put together. A dinner at a restaurant or even a potluck with favorite dishes would be apropos. Seems there certainly would be enough people to attend. He deserved it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote:I met him in ’99 so Amor must have been relatively new then?
He was new to ownership of Amor, but not new to Thailand. He had been in Thailand and held several positions before opening the Amor. I'm not sure how long he had been in Thailand prior to he Amor.
DavidJarrett

Post by DavidJarrett »

Richard Burk's Facebook page lists ALL of his employment in Pattaya. His Facebook page also has several photos of him that I took starting in 2008, in front of Amor, in front of Street Life, and exterior photos of his condo building on Pattaya soi 4. To view these photos, open Facebook and search for Richard Burk, and you will see everything. I do not believe that his Facebook page was restricted to "friends."
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

DavidJarrett wrote:o view these photos, open Facebook and search for Richard Burk, and you will see everything.
WHERE? You keep saying to just open Richard's Facebook page and you'll see the photos. I've been doing that ever since you first started saying that and so far I can't find them.

How about posting the specific URL link to those photos