Dentist

Business, Doctor, Maid service, Handyman, "Where can I find . . .", etc.
whogivesatoss

Re: Dentist Recommendations

Post by whogivesatoss »

Ah Ioke thanks for this - this clinic was mentioned favourably elsewhere about 12 months ago - I'm spoilt now for choice :)

As far as the cost, I've just been quoted around B120,000 for a crown to be replaced here in Australia so I'm looking forward to comparing with Thai prices
John from Downunder

Coming home to reality after a period in paradise is so hard ;-)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whogivesatoss wrote:I've just been quoted around B120,000 for a crown to be replaced here in Australia
If it's a porcelain crown, in Thailand it probably won't be more than about 5000 baht.
whogivesatoss

Post by whogivesatoss »

unbelievable - oh well I'll drop a email to a couple of them before my return over there and see what can be sorted out - thanks for your help everyone :)
John from Downunder

Coming home to reality after a period in paradise is so hard ;-)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whogivesatoss wrote:unbelievable
About 4 years ago I had to have a root canal and a crown. I had it done at Modern Smile. I can't guarantee there hasn't been any price changes since then, but 7000 baht is what I paid for the whole thing - including both root canal and porcelain crown.
loke

Post by loke »

Prices probably gone up a bit since then .

Root canal 7000 and porcelain crown is 10000 . But the quality of the crown is important , at thaismiledental they use imported crowns from Europe.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

loke wrote:But the quality of the crown is important
What makes you think the quality of the crowns made in Thailand are inferior to crowns imported from Europe? I have two crowns, both porcelain, both on molars, both made in Thailand, and both around ten years old. They're both also still as good as new.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

loke wrote:It's actually a gay friendly clinic whatever that means. Maybe Dr. Nan is gay ? Never asked him but I think he is .
He once had a profile on Gay Romeo! Even advertised his business.
loke

Post by loke »

Gaybutton wrote:Are you sure the material for the crown was made in Thailand? From what I hear most dentists import from EU , Japan or US
I suppose I could be wrong, but there are dental labs in Thailand and if my crown was made outside of Thailand, I wasn't told about it and I didn't ask. I didn't care. To me where the crown was made is irrelevant. What is relevant to me is the competency of the dentist, the price, and the quality. So far, I have been pleased with all three.

Based on posts you've made about dental and medical care in Thailand, you seem to be under the impression that both are inferior here. Why?

"I don't trust a doctor who can't speak English."
- Lee Strasberg (Hyman Roth), 'The Godfather, Part II'
a447

Dentist

Post by a447 »

I will be going to the dentist, either in Bangkok next week or in Pattaya after Christmas.

I had excellent treatment a few years ago at Dental Signature in Siam Paragon but when I checked their latest reviews on the web, there was one particularly horrifying account from a patient who went there this year. She went through hell and vowed never to go back again. Apparently, the dentists are all young and inexperienced and she said the pain was unbearable.

Can someone please recommend another clinic? Cost is not necessarily a problem as I can bear the pain from the bill, but not the drill.
Trongpai

Re: Dentust

Post by Trongpai »

I've been going to http://www.promjaidental.com/ for about 15 years. They have moved two times each time downsizing. There's several clinics a lot closer to where I live now but the prices are about the same.

I've also been to the dental clinic at Bumrungrad. I'm sure the quality of the dentist was top notch but the facility is in the old section of the hospital and is overwhelmed with visiting farangs. Walk-in's and long waits for appointments. The price was a little more then Promjai but quality the same, I guess. In fact many of the doctors work at both on different days.

Nearly all of the private hospitals have good dental clinics. The advantage of this is they can send you for special testing like an MRI. The disadvantage is it might be over-kill. The kicker is you don't know unless you you happen to be a dentist.

It does seem now days that dental procedures are done in steps with a lot of wait and see. Not sure you can get some things done to completion in one visit.

I think dental procures are less expensive in Pattaya. They advertise cheaper procedures but I might be comparing apples to oranges. Also, what's advertised may not be what you actually end up with.