Covid vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Covid vaccine

Post by Jun »

If I'm paying attention, gerefan had returned to the UK before getting his AZN.

Every family member I know who had AZN in the UK was letharghic the day after the first dose, including older ones. Out of the small sample on the boards, I've not yet read of a similar report in Thailand.
Perhaps this difference is just the effect of a small sample size, since the trial results certainly did not reported such side effects in everyone.

Did you notice where your vaccine was made ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 pm Did you notice where your vaccine was made ?
No
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Just registered here.

Samithivej Sriracha Hospital, Chonburi
Pre-registration: https://www.samitivejsriracha.com/artic ... le&id=1119
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

This Bangkok Post article mentions the Ministry of Public Health's new online registration site (which replaces a previously announced site) as being https://expatvac.consular.go.th/ and is supposed to open at 11am to day. The Post's article: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ens-sunday

This site is apparently or all Expats regardless of age or location, but priority will be given to those 60+ or with certain underlying medical conditions.

However, there is no mention of how the process will work once registered or which vaccine(s) will be available.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The MedPark website works and for Pfizer too! Foreigners ONLY, doesn't work with Thai ID.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Options for qualified foreigners open in Chonburi for a Covid-19 vaccine, MedPark Hospital offers nighttime vaccination period for foreigners in Thailand

By Nop Meechukhun

3 August 2021

Options are beginning to open up for foreigners to register for a Covid-19 vaccine, including in Chonburi, although some requirements apply, with officials currently focused on people over 60 and in vulnerable groups.

First, MedPark Hospital in Bangkok has introduced “Going the Extra Mile, Extra Hours” for foreign nationals to receive the Covid-19 vaccine after business hours, from August 2nd to the 9th, to avoid busy daily vaccination services.

Pongpat Patanavanich, managing director of MedPark Hospital, told reporters that due to the severe situation of the Covid-19 epidemic in Thailand, especially in Bangkok, MedPark is attempting to accelerate the vaccination process in order to build immunity.

This also includes hundreds of thousands of foreigners residing in Thailand who have been registered under the Thailandintervac project, under a collaboration between the hospital, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Public Health.

Eligible foreigners (see below) can register at https://www.thailandintervac.com/ with Medpark.

Or, go to Medpak directly here: https://medparkhospital.com/page/covid1 ... xpatriates

In order not to affect the scheduled vaccination appointments of Thai nationals, the “Going the Extra Mile, Extra Hours” campaign, therefore, has been launched to extend the vaccination service from 6:00 PM. to 10:00 PM. for pre-registered foreigners in order to support the government’s vaccine allocation policy.

Dr. Pongpat further stated that the hospital would also prioritize a target group of Thais and foreigners aged 60 and above, patients with seven chronic diseases, and foreign women pregnant for at least 12 weeks to receive the vaccination as quickly as possible.

Finally, Samithivej Sriracha Hospital in Chonburi is also now accepting pre-registration for the above-qualified foreigners and can save a trip to Bangkok. You can pre-register and learn more here: https://www.samitivejsriracha.com/artic ... le&id=1119

https://tpnnational.com/2021/08/03/seve ... -thailand/
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

If you take the evening vaccination evening service at MedPark, I'm assuming you'd have to stay in Bangkok overnight to meet curfew requirements. Not for me I fear.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:22 am If you take the evening vaccination evening service at MedPark, I'm assuming you'd have to stay in Bangkok overnight to meet curfew requirements. Not for me I fear.
That is a very good point. The evening service runs from 6:00pm to 10:00pm. Even if you're there right at 6:00pm, by the time you're done at the hospital there is no way you could make it back to Pattaya before 9:00pm when the curfew hours begin.

My understanding is if you can prove you have a vaccine appointment, no problem traveling from Pattaya to Bangkok. But I haven't seen anything about whether that also permits you to return to Pattaya during curfew hours. I'm not sure with whom or how to check into that or what kind of paperwork would be required, but unless we get some reliable information that you would be permitted to return during curfew hours, it seems to me that you're either going to need to plan to spend the night in a hotel or get your injection during the day. And again, even if you're in the hospital by 6:00pm, by the time you get out it could very well be too late to get any food.

The evening service is very nice, but in practical terms it seems to me that the only people, other than those willing to stay overnight in Bangkok, this offer will apply to will be mainly locals.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have a question I haven't seen addressed anywhere. It probably was, but I missed it - or forgot. After the second dose, is that it? Is that all a person needs or are more doses or boosters necessary or recommended at some future date? If yes, how long after the second dose?

(Why am I expecting bkkguy to remind me that I, in fact, actually asked more than 'a' question . . . ?)
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:25 pm I have a question I haven't seen addressed anywhere. It probably was, but I missed it - or forgot. After the second dose, is that it? Is that all a person needs or are more doses or boosters necessary or recommended at some future date? If yes, how long after the second dose?
I believe this is an "unknown". They trialed the vaccines for a few months last year, before approval and that does not give long term data.

However:
Israel has recently announced booster doses for over 60s. Their data shows declining resistance to symptomatic infection from people vaccinated January & February, but it shows very little decline in severe cases or hospitalization. See picture. I believe Israel used Pfizer vaccine and probably at the Pfizer recommended dose interval of 3 weeks. Someone who knows a hell of a lot more about the topic than me (which is not difficult) said a short gap between doses is worse for longevity of protection.

Germany has announced booster doses for older people.

The UK is supposed to be planning booster doses from September and cabinet politicians have mentioned this, but there is no firm announcement with dates etc.

I believe Pfizer recently recommended booster jabs, but this is rather like asking a barber if you need a hair cut.

As other board members probably know better than me, there are various components to the immune system. All I ever remember them teaching us at school was antibodies, but there are B-cells, T-cells, memory B-cells(?) and other stuff. Last year people were referring back to trial results where people still had memory B-cells(?) from the Sars-Cov-1 outbreak in Singapore almost 20 years before. If I've got this right, they help you to remember how to make antibodies quicker, so it's better than nothing. Some commentators expected a similar result for Sars-COV-2.
[No expertise claimed, particularly the last paragraph.]