In Thailand if you have stopped wearing the face mask, read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

In Thailand if you have stopped wearing the face mask, read this

Post by Gaybutton »

Some farang have ceased wearing the face mask or wear it improperly wherever they can get away with it, along with trying to ignore other Covid restriction rules. Some have become complacent and have simply decided this has gone on far too long, enough is enough, and have taken it upon themselves to decide many of the rules are unnecessary.

While I agree that some of the rules are overkill, that does not mean it is ok to stop complying.

Gov’t Threatens to Fine Foreigners Who Don’t Wear Facemask

By Khaosod English

November 23, 2021

The government’s pandemic response center said the country is at the risk of another coronavirus outbreak because some foreign visitors are failing to follow disease control measures, like wearing facemasks in public.

Centre for COVID-19 Situation spokeswoman Apisamai Srirangson said the agency has received complaints from hotel staff and provincial officials who witnessed violations of coronavirus safety measures among foreign visitors in some areas.

Apisamai said tourists are subject to the nationwide mask mandate, which carries a maximum fine of 20,000 baht for violators. It is also considered a criminal offense.

“Visitors must comply, or they will be prosecuted,” she said.

The threat and advice to foreigners to wear masks were then repeated during the same news conference in English by Ministry of Foreign Affairs deputy spokesman Natapanu Nopakun, who reminded everyone that under the Communicable Disease Act, masks must be worn when engaging in activities in public.

“You’re required to wear masks while in public spaces and while doing activities in groups,” he said. “There is a maximum of 20,000 baht for failing to do so.”

The mask mandate was imposed in late April, when coronavirus resurgence was starting to take hold, fueled by high-ranking government officials and VIPs who flouted social distancing rules and gathered to make parties.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... -facemask/
Bangkokian

Re: In Thailand if you have stopped wearing the face mask, read this

Post by Bangkokian »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:59 am Some farang have ceased wearing the face mask or wear it improperly wherever they can get away with it, along with trying to ignore other Covid restriction rules.
I travel several times a week on Bangkok's public transport systems and often into malls for shopping.
I've NEVER seen anyone, Thai or farang, without a mask on properly -- unlike London where it is mandatory to wear a mask to travel but only 20 or 30% do so.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:29 pm I travel several times a week on Bangkok's public transport systems and often into malls for shopping.
I've NEVER seen anyone, Thai or farang, without a mask on properly
I wish they all would, everywhere. Especially now with yet another new variant, Omicron, I have no sympathy for people who just won't cooperate. Not only could that start another surge, but along with it Thailand could shut down again and put the country right back to square one. If something like that happens, at the very least the CCSA is likely to forbid the bars to open even in mid January.

While I understand why some are fed up with all the rules and restrictions and are saying we just have to live with it, whether people agree with that or not, the only thing that will really matter is what Thailand's powers-that-be are going to do.

The way I understand it, the vaccines do not guarantee immunity. It is possible to catch and/or transmit Covid even when fully vaccinated. As far as I can tell from what I'm reading, fully vaccinated really only means you are less likely to catch Covid, but if you do catch it you are less likely to die. If that is correct, I don't find that particularly encouraging.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I've even taken to wearing two masks. One the usual disposable paper mask under a washable cloth one.
Some unkind person suggested that it is because I'm two faced.
A bit harsh I thought.
Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

Thank you for giving me a good laugh Bangkokian, I could really do with one theses days. Unfortunately here in Pattaya Gaybutton is right, many of the farang are not wearing masks or wearing them under their noses, or even under their chins. When you see Thai families with even the baby in the pram wearing a mask it makes the stupid farang without masks look even more ridiculous. I don't think the fines are being imposed often enough and I am surprised because surely the brown shirt mafia must be in need of a boost to their income and this would be an easy source of dosh.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Ruthrieston wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:52 am I don't think the fines are being imposed often enough
Neither do I. The media tells us they are arrested and subject to a fine of up to 20,000 baht, but none of the reports I've seen have said anything about the actual fine amounts they got or even if they ended up fined at all. Too many people just don't give a damn about the rules if they are hardly being enforced.

If the police aren't doing much of anything about it, I hope the shops will and venues large enough to have security staff ought to get more strict about it too.

The enforcement is far too lax - and that endangers all of us.