2nd Covid booster query

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: 2nd Covid booster query

Post by Up2u »

I wanted Moderna and got my 2nd booster at Jomtien Hospital. Cost is 1200 baht which is the same price as BHP but the the location is better for me.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I went to BHP Jomtien Branch this morning and walked out 45 minutes later after receiving my second booster.

They are accepting walk-ins for Moderna only. The price has dropped from 1,600 THB (my first booster) to 1,200 THB.

I know they're giving these for free at Royal Garden but I hate lines.
Jun

Post by Jun »

If anyone notices what size their Moderna booster dose is, I'd be very interested to hear that.

Original dose size was 0.5ml, containing 100 μg of the active ingredient. Compared with 30 μg for Pfizer.

The UK Moderna booster dose is half the original size (0.25 ml & 50 μg) & I understood Moderna were applying for approval of the same dose size for boosters in other countries.
Obviously this might allow the price drop reported by Dodger, although there may be other causes for that.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:54 pm I know they're giving these for free at Royal Garden but I hate lines.
What line? I was the only one there…registered and vaccinated in minutes!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't care if there is a line or not. First, free is my favorite price. Second, I don't want Moderna. I want Pfizer and Royal Garden apparently is where to get it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:25 pm If anyone notices what size their Moderna booster dose is, I'd be very interested to hear that.
People who pay for their Moderna shot via a private hospital receive the full 100mcg dose. From what I understand, the same holds true at all private hospitals in Thailand. I have no idea what the dosage is for the free jabs of Moderna at Royal Garden.

I verified the dosage at the nurses station at BHP Jomtien Hospital yesterday before receiving my jab, and also have this printed on my Vaccine Passport.

There's nothing wrong with "free" at all, as long as you know what you're getting.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

My Moderna booster at Jomtien Hospital was 50mcg which probably explains the 1200 baht price.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Up2u wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:32 am
My Moderna booster at Jomtien Hospital was 50mcg which probably explains the 1200 baht price.
After reading you statement above I called BHP Jomtien Hospital to confirm the dosage of Moderna I received this week.

They confirmed that I received the full dosage (100 mcg). - and went on to say that the price for the full dosage was discounted from 1,600 down to 1,200 back in April. Half doses are apparently not available at BHP Jomtien.

This being the case I believe you were either misinformed - or possibly confusing "mcg" with "ml". A full dose of Moderna is 100 mcg (100 micrograms) with a volume of 50 ml (50 milliliter).

You may want to contact BHP for clarification regarding the booster you received.

Phone: 033-125-999 (ask for Moderna Vaccination Desk)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I just came home from getting my Pfizer injection at Royal Garden. As far as I know, Pfizer was the only injection on offer. I didn't ask about any other choices and everyone I spoke to was there for Pfizer.

When I arrived at Royal Garden there were about a dozen people in front of me. As soon as I got into the line I timed it. From the time I got into the line, got the paperwork taken care of (there is staff to help you fill out the form since it is entirely in Thai), and got the injection, a grand total of 17 minutes passed. There was plenty of seating to wait out that half hour after the injection to make sure you don't have a reaction.

The line never got significantly longer while I was there.

For me, so far no reaction and no pain at the injection site.

You need your passport and the Mor Prom app on your smartphone that shows your previous injection history.

That's all there was to it.
____________________________________________________________________________________

30 minutes following the above post: the record of my 4th dose now appears on my Mor Prom app.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The UK definitely uses a half dose for Moderna boosters. When they announced this, Prof Lim Wei Shen said Moderna were applying to use a half dose for boosters in other countries.

The Moderna fact sheet for the US also refers to half doses for the boosters.

I'm no expert, but according to this metric, half a dose of the Moderna looks to be more effective than the Pfizer. Image

From various other reports, Moderna seems more effective, but also with a higher incidence rate of side effects. Speculating, perhaps the side effects consideration has contributed to the decision to halve the dose for the booster ?

Having said that, since antibody response is lower and side effects decrease with age for the covid vaccines, perhaps a full dose of Moderna is no bad thing for people well into retirement.