Remember the middle eastern motorbike maniacs? Guess what . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Remember the middle eastern motorbike maniacs? Guess what . . .

Post by Gaybutton »

Rocket wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:43 am and was totally wasted.
Oh great! Not only the insane driving, but drunk too. How many laws do these people have to break and how many times to they have to endanger everybody trying to walk on those sois before the authorities lift a finger to put a stop to it?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

It’s not just in Thailand. We had the same problem in London where they had expensive cars and drove them like idiots and just parked anywhere they wanted.

The police put a stop to it after many complaints by confiscating the cars. Good.

These people are a bloody nuisance and I can see why the locals complain.

Sometimes the noise goes on all night even, until dawn.

It’s no excuse but I can see why they like it...

No Bikes, no Booze, no Boys allowed in the Sandpit.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

It would be interesting to know what countries these lunatics come from.

Many people seen to assume that most are Kuwaiti's, but I've never been quite sure how they are arriving at this.

According to 2021 tourist statistics Israel tops the chart in terms of having the most tourists visiting Thailand from the Mideastern countries, and the UAE and others have much higher numbers than Kuwait...so not sure.

I have a friend who rents properties in Florida who told me once that he refuses to rent to Mideasterners because they ruin his rental properties and cause too much disruption to neighbors. This may come across as being discriminating but they'd have a hard time prosecuting him seeing as he's from Pakistan.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:01 am This may come across as being discriminating
I don't like discrimination or prejudice, but these people do it to themselves. A handful displaying this kind of behavior makes it difficult for the vast majority who probably are very nice, well mannered, considerate people. Unfortunately, in Pattaya we're constantly exposed to the wrong ones. It's hard to feel positive about a population when the only examples of that population we see are the ones who behave like this.

I have no patience with people, no matter where they come from, whose behavior fits a two word description. The first word is "horse's" . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:18 amI don't like discrimination or prejudice, but these people do it to themselves.
I generally dislike prejudice as well. However, the behaviour of middle-Easterners in Pattaya is pretty poor and I dislike them. Since their communities are hardly welcoming to the gay community, I see no reason why we should be expected to overlook all their failings.

I also know of people in the UK who don't rent property to middle-Easterners due to the problems that arise. These are also landlords originally from Asia, in this case, Hong Kong.

I avoided flying via the middle-East for years, partly on the assumption that the planes might be full of them. However, having tried Emirates in the winter, it was mainly full of Europeans. I'm not sure why. Although if I were living in Dubai, I'd probably get a daytime departure, not a 4:00 am one.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Boys will be boys! If the Arab lads are not personally bothering you, then why complain?
On the other hand, if you must endure their motorbike antics I can understand the reason for complaints.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:47 pm Boys will be boys! If the Arab lads are not personally bothering you, then why complain?
By that logic a nut walking into a school with a gun and killing 19 children doesn't personally bother me either, but I'll complain.

The fact that none of the motorbike maniacs have injured me doesn't mean I am willing to just let it happen and feel there is nothing to complain about until it does. Is that what you suggest? These people are the ones doing wrong, not me. I want it stopped and so does an ever growing number of people who have not been directly affected and want to keep it that way.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:47 pm Boys will be boys! If the Arab lads are not personally bothering you, then why complain?
I think you are being naive as their actions are so blatant that an article in Pattaya Mail was written about this and yet the police turn a blind eye, I suspect the shops near soi Yensabi that do the bike rentals contribute money to the policeman’s benevolent fund.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

windwalker wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:47 pmBoys will be boys! If the Arab lads are not personally bothering you, then why complain?
I'd imagine all of the board members who have commented on the behaviour of the Arabs have been personally bothered by it at some time. Both the noise and the personal danger. So we're entitled to express an opinion.

Furthermore, if they are a danger to other road users, that's also cause for complaint.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:56 am Furthermore, if they are a danger to other road users, that's also cause for complaint.
They are a true danger to themselves and anyone else trying to use those roads, whether others are also on motorbikes or cars or baht buses or on foot or whatever. The two things that most get me angry are the total lack of consideration for anyone else and the fact that the authorities tolerate it and do virtually nothing about it. When someone gets hurt or killed, that's when you'll see the authorities out there - for maybe two or three days. Then they'll disappear and the mania gets to start all over again. That has been the pattern in the past and I see no reason to think it won't continue.