Onward Flight Tickets

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Onward Flight Tickets

Post by Jun »

When I fly London to Bangkok, my return to London has sometimes been over 30 days later -either just over, or on the last trip, several months.
I've usually had another flight to somewhere else in SE Asia within 30 days, but have never been asked for details when checking in or going through immigration.

When flying from Cebu to KL, Air Asia asked me for details of the flight out of Malaysia before allowing me to check in.

When flying from KL to Utapao, Air Asia did NOT ask for details of a flight out of Thailand. When flying from BKK to Phnom Penh, Thai Smile did not ask for details of a flight out of Cambodia. Just as well, as I was planning to leave overland.
When flying from BKK to Manila, I was NOT asked for details of a flight out of The Philippines.

The Cebu to KL route is the only one on which I can recall being asked for details of an onward flight. That could potentially be inconvenient, as it's also possible to leave Malaysia by rail, bus and presumably ferry.

Do readers have any experience of requests for details of an onward flight for travel to any other country in SE Asia ?
firecat69

Re: Onward Flight Tickets

Post by firecat69 »

I can only speak to Thailand on this subject. Many times I had a one way ticket from US to Bangkok and I knew in most cases I would be asked for proof of an onward flight since airline did not want to be stuck for returning me to US if I was denied entry because I did not have a flight leaving the country within 30 days. So I always made reservation on an airline out of Thailand, printed it out, and then promptly cancelled the reservation . The two or 3 times I was asked in the US for onward proof this was accepted. They neither had the time or the ability to check reservations on other airlines.

In many many trips to Thailand I was never asked by Thai immigration for proof of onward travel when arriving in BKK. Also I was never asked for this type of proof on visits to Vietnam, Malaysia , Cambodia etc either by airline or Immigration officials .

I think you may have encountered a new employee who may have been doing what the airline required , but which information they rarely ask for.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:06 pm So I always made reservation on an airline out of Thailand, printed it out, and then promptly cancelled the reservation
I love that. You beat them at their own game. That's a "Why didn't I think of that" type of idea.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I had a problem once in New Zealand when departing back to BKK. Thai Airways wanted to see my ticket out of Thailand. It was in my condo in Pattaya.
Eventually they let me use their computer to show them my reservation.

In s similar vein why do some airlines want to see the actual card used for the reservation? It could easily have been someone else paying, or an expired card etc...etc...
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:55 am Thai Airways wanted to see my ticket out of Thailand.
I can understand why the airlines would want to be sure you can prove you will be leaving Thailand, but there is a problem with that. I know of no law that says a person has to leave by air. There are many ways to leave by ground transportation and many perfectly valid reasons why people may not have bought a return air ticket yet.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

There is no requirement for an air ticket. The law only states proof of a confirmed reservation out of Thailand which can be by bus, train or boat. But it cannot be by car as this is almost impossible to prove.
Jun

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:32 am There is no requirement for an air ticket. The law only states proof of a confirmed reservation out of Thailand which can be by bus, train or boat. But it cannot be by car as this is almost impossible to prove.
That is useful information. Buses from Bangkok to Siem Reap can be booked online for $24. https://www.bookaway.com/s/cambodia/ban ... siem-reap# I suspect this might not be the lowest price online option.

I wouldn't dream of ever travelling on this bus.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Never been asked for proof of onward flight in any SE Asian country - I have traveled into, and out of, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, by land and air
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

ceejay wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:46 pm Never been asked for proof of onward flight in any SE Asian country - I have traveled into, and out of, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, by land and air
Nor have I. I believe this is less seen as a requirement by individual countries - other than in exceptional cases - and much more airline staff or their agents at departure airports strictly enforcing what is technically the law..
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I've been asked on the way to a foreign country, but never asked once I got there.