Cigarettes

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Re: Cigarettes

Post by Trongpai »

Thank you for that story Undaunted. It has value. Here's one of my personal stories. If you believe these stories have no value than stop reading now.

I was away in college and got a call from my mother, your father has cancer and is in the hospital. I came home. He was 50 years old, I was 19. He was diagnosed with laryngeal cancer. He had been a life long smoker of Camels. He was still smoking them in his hospital bed. The doctors came in and told him he had to have a total laryngectomy, the removal of the larynx and separation of the airway from the mouth, nose and esophagus. In a total laryngectomy, the entire larynx is removed (including the vocal folds, hyoid bone, epiglottis, thyroid and cricoid cartilage and a few tracheal cartilage rings). The doctors were certain it was caused by smoking.

The cancer came back after a year and he had more surgery and radiation treatment. It had metastasized. He was dead less then two years after the diagnosis. He did not get to see me graduate.

I was not a smoker back then but I had experimented a little and was able to smoke a ceremonial cigar without getting sick. After this experience I would not experiment ever again with smoking.

One story like this is enough but in my life there were more with other family members and close friends. Tobacco and I are not friends.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

RichLB wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am Again, new packaging and terrible taste. What's going on?
Mystery solved. Along with the new packaging, the contents also appear to come from a new supplier. If you look closely at the outside of the box on the flap you open you will see that these cigarettes now come from the Philippines. This insight thanks to the clerk at 7/11.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

As the current government is hell bent on new regulations considering the annual costs in the Kingdom for smoking related illness why not ban cigarettes :?:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm As the current government is hell bent on new regulations considering the annual costs in the Kingdom for smoking related illness why not ban cigarettes
Yes, why not? It's always easy when you're not personally affected. Here's one that would personally affect you - considering the annual costs for alcohol related deaths and injuries, why not ban alcohol?
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm As the current government is hell bent on new regulations considering the annual costs in the Kingdom for smoking related illness why not ban cigarettes
I think the reason is clear and it has nothing to do with public health. The cigarette companies and the tax revenue cigarette sales produce pretty much guarantee they will never be banned.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

RichLB wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm
I think the reason is clear and it has nothing to do with public health. The cigarette companies and the tax revenue cigarette sales produce pretty much guarantee they will never be banned.
I agree, and don’t forget the money the hospitals make as well as the costs associated with a funeral in Thailand.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm I agree, and don’t forget the money the hospitals make :!:
Especially on alcohol related problems . . .