Cigarettes

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Cigarettes

Post by RichLB »

Yeah, I know. We smokers ought to quit - and now it might be time to do so. Has anyone noticed that fake cigarettes are now being sold in most stores. I smoke Marlboros and a week ago I purchased a couple packs and received newly packaged smokes. The old familiar red and white was replaced with a new image with "Marlboro Red" written in small print on the bottom. Upon lighting up the taste was harsh and different from what I was used to. The same version of Marlboros is now sold at 7/11, Macro, Foodmart, and even small minimarts. I finally decided to switch brands and bought some Winstons. Again, new packaging and terrible taste. What's going on? I guess it's time to seriously quit smoking.
Undaunted

Re: Cigarettes

Post by Undaunted »

RichLB wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am Yeah, I know. We smokers ought to quit - and now it might be time to do so. I guess it's time to seriously quit smoking.
Let me remind you: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10049

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

RichLB wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am Has anyone noticed that fake cigarettes are now being sold in most stores.
Not fake. The packaging is a new gov't regulation intended to discourage smoking. Not all shops have sold out of the previous design.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I don't know about the other brands, but the Marlboros are different from the previous ones. They used to have a small "M" on the wrapper next to the filter. The newly packaged ones don't and the taste is nasty and very much like the knock-off cigarettes that come from Myanmar.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Does the new cigarette packages still have those disgusting photos of the medial consequences of smoking with graphic photos? I see them when passing someone with a pack laying on their table. Undaunted's photo is mild in comparison.

Here's a question for smokers: Do those photos bother you? Do they take away from the enjoyment (if that's the right word) of a smoke and does it encourage you to quit?

You're hard put to find someone that does not have a family member or close friend that has not been killed by a smoking related illness. For me it was my father with throat cancer. Two surgeries and radiation but dead two years after diagnosis. He smoked Camels.

werner99

Post by werner99 »

Trongpai wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:57 pm
You're hard put to find someone that does not have a family member or close friend that has not been killed by a smoking related illness. For me it was my father with throat cancer.
Yes, this is sadly true. I lost a very dear friend and an uncle to cancer caused by smoking.

I really wish all gay venues in Thailand would prohibit smoking, as required by Thai law.

Most Thai restaurants and hotels DO prohibit smoking, and I appreciate this very much!
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

RichLB wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:59 pm . The newly packaged ones don't and the taste is nasty and very much like the knock-off cigarettes that come from Myanmar.
Perhaps less sugar?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN1N02UC

I've read that the addiction to smoking is physically absent after one month but smokers who have tried to quit say differently. Tobacco addiction is really not fully understood.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Trongpai wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:26 pm
I've read that the addiction to smoking is physically absent after one month but smokers who have tried to quit say differently. Tobacco addiction is really not fully understood.
I was able to quit for 9 weeks this time last year. I took nicotine lozenges which I guess helped more than I thought, because, it really wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I was working in the U.S. at the time and felt so proud myself. Then, I returned to Thailand for holiday...sat at a bar in Sunee...polished off about 6 Leo's...had a hold of some boys cock...and told the boy behind the bar to send someone to get me a pack of cigarettes. I know it sounds insane, but that's exactly how it happened.

Now that I'm retired and don't visit the bar scene too often I should do better this next attempt. My daughter carried a 3 month supply of the nicotine lozenges that worked so well for me before on the airplane from the U.S. which I have in front of me right now. Tick...tick...tick.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I think it is a mistake to try to shame and/or frighten smokers. We all know the health risks, so no lectures, lessons, graphic photos, or "this happened to my friend" posts are necessary here. Trying to shame, "educate", or frighten smokers - it doesn't work.

Smokers know they smoke at their own risk. The problem is the asshole smokers who don't mind putting everybody else at risk, such as smoking in bars, when all they would need to do is step outside. To me, smokers who selfishly don't give a damn about exposing others to their smoke - that goes far beyond merely being inconsiderate.

What I'd like to see is when someone lights up in a bar, everybody else in the bar stands up and as loud as they can shouts, "Put out that fucking cigarette!" Of course, the smoker is likely to respond by shrugging and saying, "hooley booley - no English . . ."
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm I think it is a mistake to try to shame and/or frighten smokers. We all know the health risks, so no lectures, lessons, graphic photos, or "this happened to my friend" posts are necessary here. Trying to shame, "educate", or frighten smokers - it doesn't work.
Frankly, anyone who I knew who smoked is either dead or impaired so if even one person such as yourself thinks twice about their smoking because of “shame and/or frighten smokers “ so be it!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"