Tesco-Lotus stores may be sold in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Tesco-Lotus stores may be sold in Thailand

Post by Jun »

pong wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:01 pm L is limited to Europe anyway
1 Fact check. Here is a map showing Lidl stores in the US:
https://www.lidl.com/stores

2 Once upon a time, both Aldi and Lidl were limited to Germany. Things change.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

It can’t get worse than it is.......It is at the bottom of the heap, at least in Pattaya.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm It is at the bottom of the heap, at least in Pattaya.
I agree. Tesco-Lotus is usually my last choice for where to shop. If the same people who own 7-Eleven want to buy it out and take it over, fine with me. Hopefully whatever they do, it will be an improvement. If they keep things, other than the inevitable name change, status quo, in a few years I expect they'll be trying to sell too. I hope the buyers will have better sense than to do that. I also hope they hire management personnel who actually know what they're doing.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm It can’t get worse than it is.......It is at the bottom of the heap, at least in Pattaya.
Not just Thailand. In the UK, my local store is less than 40 miles from Tesco HQ.
It's probably the worst kept and worst managed store in town. The only thing they have in their favour is the sheer breadth of product, due to it being a very large store.

I guess CP will do a better job of managing the Thai stores, but at the expense of reduced competition in the market.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:26 am at the expense of reduced competition in the market.
I doubt that will make much difference. One thing I've noticed - the Thailand convenience stores rarely charge any more than the prices found in mainstream grocery stores.

They will still have plenty of competition from Family Mart and Mini Big-C convenience stores, along with several other smaller chains.

I'm not sure, but I think the Thai government regulates a lot of those prices.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:26 am One thing I've noticed - the Thailand convenience stores rarely charge any more than the prices found in mainstream grocery stores.
I've noticed that too.
Considering the level of pricing for certain goods, I suspect it's a price fixing cartel, resulting from insufficient competition in the marketplace.
e.g. a litre of orange juice is at least 50% more than in the UK and we don't even grow oranges here.
There are quite a few more items with suspicious pricing.

Admittedly not everything and it's not a major concern for me either, but the Thai government should make sure it has proper capitalism with sufficient competition to ensure it's population benefit. A lot of people operate on a tighter budget.
pong

Post by pong »

Re budget chain supermarkets in TH:
they have tried, oif course. When Carrefour was still here (sold off to BigC, just like Tesco, also in dire straits due to overspending elsewhere) they had a small chain of LeaderPrice AldiLidl imitations, In FRance this is quite a big budgetchain. And they failed miserably. As an anecdote there was even one in what later became the Infinity Nightclub on Sukhumvit close to Asoke-a notorious place as such, now also closed and whole area due for a new hi-rise. Tesco and BigC and the late Carrefour all tried with much cheaper own brands, but the Thai would not take it. So in the end they had to dump all that stuff at half price and loosing money. The same has happened in Malaysia.
Seems there is a Isany shopchain of lower priced goods, but only in that area, where there are far more people watching their bahts. In BKK probably rents are too high to be able to sell goods for cheap prices.
Also many of Tesco here in BKk have been downsized, esp. the nonfood (TV, washing mach, & all that) have gone away-there were far too many of that anyway. So there are now Mr. DIY, or gym/sport/training places or that French chain of camping/sports equipmt. in those floors. Plus that when they came up quickly, there were far fewer 7s and they had the wrong kind of stuff. For those wanting that UK-stuff they sell: go quicky and snatch up the supplies (scottish shortbread, Tesco Biscuits and Own brands).
@OJ: The UK profits from the EU for that. Those big juicy oranges from Spain(US also has them, Florida-Minute Maid) dont grow here. Plus a much smaller market, and that even carved up between many players, makes for much smaller and thus per unit much costlier drinks in the packet. Normal Thai can do with their own diluted small bottles (10% or even 25%), and thats even subsidized or lesser taxed. But the 20 bt nice&cool Orange shakes just round the corner here made to order do nicely in the current heat. For farang specify ´mai say kleua=no salt inside). Also same price for about any other local fruit, incl. the oversweet mango.