Air pollution problems in Bangkok - and it's not very good in Pattaya either

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Air pollution problems in Bangkok - and it's not very good in Pattaya either

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:27 pm We´re running way outside scope of this forum
Not really. I'm not going to get into the debate about what fuels these vehicles use because no matter what they use, they become part of Bangkok's infamous traffic jams - and those traffic jams with all those vehicles just sitting there idling must be significantly contributing to Bangkok's air pollution problems. And the air pollution problems are exactly what this topic is about.

Chiang Mai’s air quality worst in the world

Feb 29. 2020

Chiang Mai’s air-quality ranking took a severe hit, with the city being named the worst in the world, followed by Mumbai, Kathmandu and Kolkata, the application Air Visual revealed on Saturday (February 29) as of 11.37am.

The application showed Chiang Mai’s average pollution at 193, with particulate matter less than 2.5 microns in diameter (PM2.5) at 137.8 micrograms per cubic metre.

According to the Air Quality Index, air quality between 0 to 50 is healthy, 51 to 100 is moderate, 101 to 150 is unhealthy for sensitive groups, 151 to 200 is unhealthy, 201 to 300 is very unhealthy, and 301 to 500 is dangerous.

Meanwhile, the Pollution Control Department (PCD) said via its website that the air quality (as of 7am) in Bangkok and nearby provinces was at healthy levels, and would get better.

The PCD found PM2.5 at between 16 and 46 micrograms per cubic metre.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/303 ... l_referral
Jun

Re: Air pollution problems in Bangkok - and it's not very good in Pattaya either

Post by Jun »

pong wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:27 pm We´re running way outside scope of this forum, so I'ĺl leave it with that.
Gaybutton should decide what's outside the scope of the forum.

However, I would like to think that discussing pollution is in scope, as it comes under the "life" part of "Gay Life".
Also, persistently posting fake news about buses running on gas should be outside the scope of the forum.
Do you have any links to the sources for your latest gas bus claims ? Or is it another fabrication like all the previous ones appear to be ?

If a board member kept making claims that conflict with what we see on a daily basis and didn't provide any evidence to back up the "facts" posted, then eventually readers might not believe anything written by that member.

References to thieving Katoeys are within the scope of the board, but are totally off topic and belong on a different thread.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Another small pro to the forced stopping of Chinese tour groups due to Coronavirus fears is the stopping of the diesel belching black smoke coming from the myriad number of buses that carry them from place to place as well as helping to elevate some of the nightmare traffic in town.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:59 pm Another small pro to the forced stopping of Chinese tour groups due to Coronavirus fears is the stopping of the diesel belching black smoke coming from the myriad number of buses that carry them from place to place as well as helping to elevate some of the nightmare traffic in town.
I definitely agree with that. It was quite pleasant to take the Buddha hill route when walking back from Dongtan beach and NOT have to put up with buses belching out diesel smoke. The traffic was just about OK, hardly fast flowing.

For the forseeable future, it seems the people in charge have no intention of doing anything serious to fix the pollution. If they ever do try some serious measures, these will no doubt be blunted by police and other enforcement units taking bribes, rather than enforcing any new rules.

So it falls down to the individual to accept the pollution, go elsewhere or take countermeasures (face mask or room air filter).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:19 pm So it falls down to the individual to accept the pollution, go elsewhere or take countermeasures (face mask or room air filter).
Maybe it just hasn't been long enough yet, but I notice even without the hordes of tour buses the air pollution numbers are still just about as high as they were before the virus scare started.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Can anyone explain to me the difference between 'US AQI' readings and 'CN AQI' readings? One seems to be about double of the other. I use 'Air4Thai' and 'IQAir Visual' apps.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Bangkokian wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:55 pm Can anyone explain to me the difference between 'US AQI' readings and 'CN AQI' readings? One seems to be about double of the other. I use 'Air4Thai' and 'IQAir Visual' apps.
https://support.airvisual.com/en/articl ... A%E5%88%AB

As Chinese air quality is poor and they have only recently started to take action to improve this, obviously it's expedient to water down the criteria to make the figures look better. Also, a colour scale where every day has the same reading isn't very informative, so there is some kind of logic in having different limits for bands. Although something which is unhealthy should still be described as such.

At least China has made a start with air quality. I don't see anything tangible having been done in Thailand.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Thanks Jun. I understand now.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Predictably, air pollution is considered likely to increase the Covid death rate.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... rn-experts