"I NEED MONEY FOR RENT"

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: "I NEED MONEY FOR RENT"

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:48 pm
Dodger wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:43 pm If this boy has to do a visa run, I guess it's fair to assume that he's probably either Laotian or Cambodian, both of which are extremely poor countries where a few bucks out of a farangs pockets would feed a family. I'm not suggesting that you throw tons of cash at him, but understanding the shoes he's in may change your perspective a bit.
I've been to places like Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar, so have seen how the poor live there. Myanmar is probably the poorest.
What you said certainly sounds reasonable.

Like you, I really have no complaints about the guys I've shacked up with for long stays. Siphoning through the mix of personalities to see who's genuine, and who's not, can be a bit challenging, but there are plenty of hidden gems out there.
Jun

Post by Jun »

rocket wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:35 pm I’ll listen to the advice here and try to start tipping smaller than normal. And maybe slowly increase depending on performance.
As far as I know, only one person here has offered that advice, but it might still be good.

I vary the tip according to performance, but assuming the performance is constant, the tip for the first off will be the same as the third time and so on.

Mind you, assuming the tip is at least at the expected market minimum, it's obviously better to start at a low or normal tip, than start too high, then cut when you see the guy again.

If there is a gap of several months, I expect most boys will have completely forgotten about tip levels. The only time I ever encountered a lad keeping notes was in Prague.

(Following comment definitely not aimed at Rocket or Dodger). If any other member wants to be particularly critical of my tipping regime, perhaps that member might want to start by explaining how HE deals with narrative based financial requests from money boys. When the boy has done short time, say up to 5 times in 12 months ie no hint of a "relationship".
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

rocket wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 pm But the ones I’ve offed in the past almost always remember exactly what I tipped them. Plus they spread the word. When I sat down at Winner Bar the other night, I heard a guy on the stage tell the guy I was sitting with that I tip ha loi(500) baht. Not for off but for sitting together. his name was Aum, formerly of Cupidols.
The jungle drums are definitely in your favor. The boys whether fem, straight etc. quickly learn who is worth of their attention and who is not :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 pm The jungle drums are definitely in your favor. The boys whether fem, straight etc. quickly learn who is worth of their attention and who is not :!:
Much direct and now implied comment is passed on other people's exploits.
Including presumed tipping behaviour and presumed success rates, without having any clue whether your presumptions are correct. Unless you have the FBI following me

What about your own experiences then ? Enough advice and criticism is offered to others, but never any specific details of your own exploits. Do you tip above market norms for meeting lads ? If they have a really good story, do you add another 1000 ?

As for myself, I can't remember a case of a lad I offed declining another off.
Most contact me asking for another off and the remainder accept any request for one. The lad who got his usual tip last night has already asked to meet tonight.

Tipping fairly based on service and not the narrative works.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The topic seems to be morphing into a topic about tipping. That should be a separate topic. Let's please get back to what this topic is supposed to be about - the stories boys come up with in attempts to get more money out of us and how we deal with it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:17 pm The topic seems to be morphing into a topic about tipping. That should be a separate topic. Let's please get back to what this topic is supposed to be about - the stories boys come up with in attempts to get more money out of us and how we deal with it.
I was attempting to make the point that I aim to tip fairly for services and have never given anything in response to a good story. That's how I deal with it.
Service = Fair tip
Story = Nothing

Admittedly I have only been asked 3 times:
1 By a Khmer lad who hadn't contacted me since my previous visit there 2 years earlier and whom I had seen twice. Despite him speaking the best English of any bar boy I have ever met, it was s short e-mail with no reason offered for the request.
2 A Filipino who tried a range of stories. The first was rather poor, saying he had a cold and needed to see a doctor for $75. Where I come from, you don't see a doctor for a cold. I also established it doesn't cost $75 to see a doctor there. He tried rent deposit, birthday and finally sending me pictures of trainers. As he only ever said hello before steering the topic to money, I just ignored all further correspondence.
3 The current lad has tried rent, medical costs and visa run costs with me. He tried gambling losses as a reason with another farang. He has not yet tried buffalo, sick grandmothers and so on.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Jun wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 pm I was attempting to make the point that I aim to tip fairly for services and have never given anything in response to a good story. That's how I deal with it.
Service = Fair tip
Story = Nothing
Yes I agree with you. For me :

Good service= above normal tip.
Normal service = normal tip
Poor service= normal tip but no repeat.
Story= nothing, but if the story is unique or unusual one I will give small extra money just for amusement purposes.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Despite commenting on and criticising my behaviour, one board member still declines to provide specific examples of how HE has being dealing with these issues.

What are we supposed to conclude ? Is listening to the "jungle drums" is as close as it gets ? Or ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:31 pm What are we supposed to conclude ?
We're not supposed to conclude anything. This is becoming a personal issue and not appropriate for this board. And quite frankly, I doubt anyone even cares. I have already removed the offending post and issued a stern warning - and believe me, I meant that warning. That is enough.

Sorry, but I'm not here to referee or resolve personal disputes.

I suggest just dropping it, moving on, and sticking to the issue itself instead of letting something someone else posted bother you, especially since I deleted the offending post.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well the lad who needed "money for rent" has posted his forward travel schedule. That includes a few Thai resorts and a trip to an EU city.

So either he's rustled up enough cash to fund that flight or there is a sponsor. In addition to ongoing client earnings from plying his services on the apps.

Anyhow, I'm unlikely to hear the story/explanation, as there are many other deserving and delightful candidates for the next date.