Some of you won't like this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Some of you won't like this

Post by Gaybutton »

Government considering extending Songkran holidays to lift economy

Feb 13, 2020

The government might extend the Songkran festival to stimulate the national economy.

According to a government source, there is a proposal to extend the holidays during the Songkran festival by two days -- from April 13-17 -- which would enable people to extend their holidays by another two days on Saturday (April 18) and Sunday (April 19), a total of nine holidays.

The relevant agencies are expected to propose to the meeting together with the economic stimulus measures such as "Eat, Shop, Spend campaign phase 4". Creating a shopping atmosphere is expected to help the economy which faces many economic risk factors such as the outbreak of the new coronavirus, drought, delay in implementing the budget, including the Korat mass shootings in Nakhon Ratchasima, which have had a huge impact on businesses and the tourism industry.

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak on Wednesday (February 12) also mentioned the extended Songkran festival idea. Somkid said that he was prepared to propose to the Cabinet to extend the long holidays since people will have to return to their hometown and travel, which will boost tourism and help the economy.

In this regard, he has coordinated with Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, to consider adding special holidays in the first and second quarters of the year to encourage Thai people to travel domestically during the first half of the year to alleviate the impact of the virus outbreak.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382068
stkyricesf

Re: Some of you won't like this

Post by stkyricesf »

Wow and I'm coming for Songkran. Myself, as I'm growing more mature (OLD) 555, I'm just not enjoying all the merriment of the water festival. Oh well guess I can stay in and read more. I actually enjoy being by myself and a book.
pong

Post by pong »

Must be a case of uncomprehensible logic. SO: this would actually mean that doing NO work gives the economy a push., where as common sense would say the reverse. Plus that for 99% of Thai SK means-going home to the holy fahmeelee (just as the Chinese do at their brand of NwYr) with pa+ma expecting presents from the son who has been so long away toiling in the big city of BKK (or PTY-I dont care much).
For the farangy foreign tourists this time of yr mostly means to be avoided at all cost. Except that most will already have done their bookings-it coincides with western easter this yr.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Those two extra weekdays are in between the real Songkran April 13-15 and Pattaya's awful special day on the 19th. Giving government employees those days off won't effect Pattaya much.

Just one question: will Immigration be closed from the 11th to the 20th?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I thought they were considering limiting Songkran to one day to conserve badly low supplies of water?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

mahjongguy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am Those two extra weekdays are in between the real Songkran April 13-15 and Pattaya's awful special day on the 19th. Giving government employees those days off won't effect Pattaya much.

Just one question: will Immigration be closed from the 11th to the 20th?
Agree - Pattaya always starts on the day observed in most of Thailand (13-15th) - then continues during the intervening days until Pattaya's big day (19th) when it is utter chaos. So no real impact on Pattaya - but, if those days are declared as additional official holidays, then Immigration will most likely be closed for the entire week - Monday the 13th through Friday the 17th.

Of course, visiting Immigration during Songkran period in Pattaya even if open can be hazardous (or fun depending on your perspective). Me - I lay in groceries, put up sand bags and mg emplacements, bunker down, and they will never drag me out alive :D . The bf goes out every day to enjoy the mayhem.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

stkyricesf wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:03 am Wow and I'm coming for Songkran. Myself, as I'm growing more mature (OLD) 555
That is undeniably old
:lol:
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The Nation wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 am In this regard, he has coordinated with Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, to consider adding special holidays in the first and second quarters of the year to encourage Thai people to travel domestically during the first half of the year to alleviate the impact of the virus outbreak.
When I read this sentence in the article I wasn't sure if I should, gag, laugh, burp, or shit in my pants. How the idea to add more holidays can possibly alleviate the impact of the virus outbreak, is beyond laughable. It defies even basic common sense. It's insane.

Coming off the worst drought in 40 years, water is already in extremely short supply. If they add 2 more days of water slinging mahem to Songkran, where do they think the people will get water just for basic living needs?

There are more road accidents and fatalities in Thailand during Songkran than anywhere else on earth, and Thailand has been aggressively looking for ways to address this. I guess adding 2 more days for the drunks to drive during the festival period is their answer.???

They don't have a chance in Hell of reducing the coronavirus with this hair-brained idea. If anything the virus will expand even faster. Do they think all the Chinese they keep inviting into the country are not going to be out mixing with the crowds during the festivities???

They don't have enough water, and will strain the capacities in Pattaya until they're out-of-control.

We can look for an increase of approximately 20% more road accidents and fatalities.

One of the reasons I'm so shocked about this scatter-brained proposal, is that I expected to see some constraints around Songkran this year for the very reasons being discussed, i.e., water shortage, coronavirus, road accidents, and here they go doing the opposite.

Only in Thailand!
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Silom Soi 4 will again completely dry (of water). An oasis ( wrong word :-) ) from the water drenched Silom road. Last year packed from opening times till closing>
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am I thought they were considering limiting Songkran to one day to conserve badly low supplies of water?
Pattaya has enough water until June – PWA

By Jetsada Homklin

February 15, 2020

The Provincial Waterworks Authority said Pattaya has at least enough water to last through June.

Udom Thipdecho, director of the Chonburi Provincial Irrigation Department, and PWA officials told the Pattaya Business & Tourism Association’s Feb. 12 meeting that water pressure has been reduced as much as 20 percent in some areas, causing it to run slowly, but at least the entire region still has running water.

The PWA has been diverting water from other areas to fill five reservoirs serving Pattaya. Together they currently have 264,000 cubic meters of water, which can last through June even if it doesn’t rain again.

Officials urged business leaders to continue conservation efforts until the drought threat has eased.

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pa ... pwa-288091