Woozle effect

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Woozle effect

Post by Jun »

Just discovered this:

"The Woozle effect, also known as evidence by citation,[1] or a woozle, occurs when frequent citation of previous publications that lack evidence, misleads individuals, groups, and the public into thinking or believing there is evidence, and nonfacts become urban myths and factoids."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woozle_effect

I always wonder if certain stories that have been circulating for years on forums are an example. For example, "gogo bars not permitted in Jomtien as it's residential". Yet they allow a show bar, loud outside parties and a gogo bar across the road from the complex. Any ban on gogo bars would have to be tightly defined, if it excludes gogo whilst permitting everything else.

Perhaps it's true, but I've never seen links to the policy posted and the evidence on the ground causes some doubt.

I think it's wise to challenge any new and suspect stories early.
pong

Re: Woozle effect

Post by pong »

Never heard of this word before. Call it parrotting.
The very best example to me is that TV=thaivisa forum, where anyone parrots anyone in saying that tourist nrs here in Th=LOS are shrinking, that the TAT makes it all up, etc. Just a short look at airport arrivals, scheduled airplanes etc. or just a visit to DMK shows the reverse. Except for the very last 2-3 weeks after this virus. If one positively tries to explain it: its likely the holders of those oldstyle small guesthss in Patters who indeed see their old clients slowly die out, are too tight to make any renewals or uptodate renovation and due to lack of customers have time enough to just sit and watch www and react ASAP, as they have nothing else useful to do. Those in the gay bisnis simply close up shop and bring back the key to the owner of the house.
ceejay

Re: Woozle effect

Post by ceejay »

pong wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:53 am Just a short look at airport arrivals, scheduled airplanes etc. or just a visit to DMK shows the reverse. Except for the very last 2-3 weeks after this virus.
Maybe I'm not reading this right,
http://aot.listedcompany.com/transport.html
But it seems 33 million international disembarkations in fiscal 2019 compared to 35 million in fiscal 2018 tell a different story.