transit to BKK

Anything and everything about Thailand
Josan

transit to BKK

Post by Josan »

The Thai government: Health authorities have extended coronavirus screening to cover visitors from Japan and Singapore. Do any one have any idea if this screening is for people from these areas, or is the whole flight being screened? I am flying through Japan via transit only.
Gaybutton

Re: transit to BKK

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know, but it would make sense to me if they are going to screen some of the passengers, they would screen all passengers on those flights.

If it were me on one of those flights, I would want to be screened along with the rest of the passengers. If it turns out I am showing signs of illness, I would want to know it and receive treatment as soon as possible.

This is probably a good time to make sure you are traveling with good medical insurance that will fully cover you in case you do become ill, whether from the virus or any other cause.
Josan

Post by Josan »

Yes, that is true. I am traveling from the US, transit at Japan and down to BKK.
Going back in three months is another thing!!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Josan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:30 am The Thai government: Health authorities have extended coronavirus screening to cover visitors from Japan and Singapore. Do any one have any idea if this screening is for people from these areas, or is the whole flight being screened? I am flying through Japan via transit only.
The answer to your question is a definite YES.

You will be screened in the U.S prior to your departure, and again at Narita before being allowed entry to the departure area. The link below gives you all the details you need:

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/securi ... planation/
Josan

Post by Josan »

Dodger, Great find! Thanks much! Does answer the question!
gkwanger

Post by gkwanger »

Referring to "security" screening--in three of my last five trips to Bangkok through Narita from the U.S., our flight did not go through Japanese security screening before entering the departure areas. I was surprised when deplaning that we were allowed directly into departure gate areas without going upstairs into the screening. Just this past January, a friend and I were crossing paths at Narita, so on the chance I would see him through the glass barrier as he deplaned, I went to the arrival gate, and to our surprise, he and other passengers got off the plane and directly into the departure area. Other passengers who were staying in Japan, continued up the escalator to the arrivals area. So I'm not sure if there has been an official change in procedure, but since I've personally observed it four times in the last 12 months, it's clear there has been some policy change. I was arriving from San Francisco on a United Air Lines flight.
pong

Post by pong »

So these are 2 different things mixed up:
1.checks for safety/security (a very holy thing in the airlineworld) whilst in trasnit @ Narita. This is a thing if JP trusts the screening from the US enough to not duplicate. F.e. In the EU this is mutual. JP is quite xenofobe, so wont trust most others, but perhaps here they have accepted reality. If the US would also accept that fpr tansit pax coming from Narita-?
2.special medical on arrival checks at Swampy, was for all Flites fro China and apparently now also extended to all flites from SIN and JPN. This will mean that anyone disembarking from that flite will be screened (temp. I think, and only if that is suspicious more checks) and probably, if they are a tad serious also before you even hit the general exit area. Otherwise it would make no sense, as anyone on that flite doing a transit in BKK to onward is a potential source. But I have no exact details about how this is organised.
BTW-TH thus trusts all countries doing their security check well enough to let anyone arriving in the exit area. Tis is separated from the boarding area and I do not know exactly if and what checks they do if you change these floors for an onward connection. If you board BKK and have to transit in UAE (Dubal, Abu Dhabi) you have to go via a new security there, so they do not trust BKK enough.
Josan

Post by Josan »

So a flight from the US via Narita to BKK will be screened two or three times. Anyone done this in the last few days?