Babylon to close

Anything and everything about Thailand
thewayhelooks

Babylon to close

Post by thewayhelooks »

I've heard from a long time friend who has good connections in Bangkok that Babylon will close later this year and the site will be sold for redevelopment.

Anyone else heard this?
Jun

Re: Babylon to close

Post by Jun »

It wouldn't surprise me.

Saunas are yet another way of hooking up that could easily lose market share to phone apps. If we take the example of Berlin, this had at least 3 saunas 10 years ago and had just one last time I was there. At least that one sauna was packing in the customers, but I've been to various others that have been very quiet.

Now, I haven't been to Babylon for a few years. After all, when I can choose and hire a cute lad on a phone app, the idea of going somewhere where many of them have no interest in a farang of a certain age doesn't appeal.

I would be interested to know how much business it has been doing. If any board members have been there recently.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I went there a few weeks again just as the Corona virus was starting. It was only half as full as it normally is.
I wonder whether the virus has had an impact in making this decision.
On the other hand the site must be worth a mint.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

thewayhelooks wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:59 pm Anyone else heard this?
Yes, I heard rumors several months ago, pre- corona, but hesitated to post anything since it was a rumor and not a done deal. When I posted that soi Twilight was closing some board members posted that was nonsense! Babylon was not built to make a profit. The owner Khum Toc (k) hardly needed the money. Money received for lodging and entry by average covered operating costs and maintenance but not significant profit.

The owner is the least pretentious rich Thai person that I've ever met. Soft spoken, perfect English and low keyed. He wants to retire. Babylon is up for sale. There's adjacent vacant land too. Toc's family used to own all the property on both sides of that side soi and he's been selling lots since the 80's.

It's speculation that there would not be another owner that would continue the venue as a gay sauna. The capital expenditure would never be recouped. So, what could the property be used for? I can't imagine anything.

It's not the place it once was but and the customer base shifted to Asian tourist and a gradual loss of general attendance but that did not have anything to do with the owner's desire to sell the property. Open at the original location in 1986, moved to present location 2000 and closed on a date to be announced.

The end of an era and a sad day indeed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:48 pm He wants to retire. Babylon is up for sale.
Do you know the asking price?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

No, not a clue.