What You Need To Enter Thailand Now

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

What You Need To Enter Thailand Now

Post by Undaunted »

New requirements in lieu of the Coronavirus:

All visitors to Thailand require medical certificate, insurance and monitoring system

by Mark Kelly

March 18, 2020

The Thai government has announced that citizens of and those arriving from the Republic of Korea, Italy, Iran, as well as China and two of its territories Macau and Hong Kong, are to experience the kingdom’s most stringent screening.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam announced that the government has stepped up its measures to screen all incoming passengers, while placing major emphasis on those arriving from the listed high-risk nations.

The new measure requires all nationalities arriving in the kingdom to show a medical certificate, issued no more than three days prior to their arrival, have purchased an insurance plan for COVID-19 and give consent to allow authorities to install a monitoring application on their smart phone.

Earlier, the kingdom temporarily revoked visa free entry for ‘high-risk’ countries, namely the RoK, Italy and Hong Kong, as well as canceling eligibility for visa-on-arrival of another 18 countries. Those needing to visit the kingdom during this time will require a visa issued by a Thai Embassy abroad.

https://pattayaone.news/all-visitors-to ... ng-system/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: What You Need To Enter Thailand Now

Post by Gaybutton »

Obviously the Thai government wants to stop everyone from traveling to Thailand except those who, for whatever reason, must travel to Thailand. I can certainly understand why Thailand wants to prevent travelers coming to Thailand from bringing the virus with them.

Of course, I doubt all that many people are planning international travel just now.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has designated ten more countries as “high-risk” for COVID-19, and citizens of these countries travelling to Thailand are now required to produce proof of health insurance and doctor’s certificate to enter Thailand. They could also to be subjected to 14-days of quarantine at locations designated by the Thai government.

The ten countries are Spain, France, Germany, Britain, Switzerland, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and the United States.
Source:https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-d ... igh-risk/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm curious. Under the present circumstances, are any of you planning to go to Thailand anyway? If you are - and you don't have to feel obligated to answer if you don't want to - can you tell us when and/or why?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here is the latest.

It certainly seems like Thailand's aim is to make travel to Thailand next to impossible. If you're not already in Thailand, it's certainly going to be difficult to get here until this is over and these rules are rescinded.

All inbound air passengers must have Covid-free certificates

19 Mar 2020

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand now requires all air passengers, Thai and foreign, to show Covid-19-free health certificates and Covid-19 insurance before boarding their flights to Thailand.

CAAT governor Chula Sukmanop announced the condition, and other requirements, on Wednesday as part of government efforts to contain novel coronavirus disease (Covid-19).

He said arriving passengers who visited China, Hong Kong, Iran, Italy, Macao or South Korea in the past 14 days will be quarantined.

When passengers check in, airlines must check whether they had visited Covid-19 epidemic areas in the previous 14 days.

Airlines must require passengers to present health certificates issued no more than 72 hours before the flight departs. The certificates must guarantee that the passengers are free of Covid-19, regardless where they board.

Airlines must also require that passengers have insurance covering Covid-19 treatment in Thailand, up to at least US$100,000.

Passengers who fail to present the required documents must not be allowed to board their flight to Thailand.

Those who comply and are allowed to board must provide the address of their accommodation in Thailand, either by written forms or by AOT mobile phone app.

CAAT also requires airlines to seat passengers as far as possible from each other, and to disinfect their planes - among other preventive measures.

Mr Chula said Thai disease control officials were authorised to isolate aircraft and quarantine passengers.

Airlines that fail to comply must pay for the subsequent transport, quarantine and treatment of passengers, and the cost of related cases of disease control.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rtificates
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thai tourism is going to zero for a while. Probably a good thing compared with the alternative of accelerating the outbreak.

Once Covid starts to die down, they might need to actively encourage tourists.

I already see one barrier to booking a trip for later in the year. The key points of an e-mail from my travel insurance company are below. If I cannot get medical cover for Covid and have not acquired immunity, this would be a substantial increase in risk for the next trip.

"Based on this, as of the 13th March 2020, we have classed Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) as a “Known Event” in line with the policy terms conditions.

How does this impact me?

If you purchased your policy before the 13th March 2020:

- For any element of your trip booked before the 13th March 2020, any subsequent claim will be considered in line with the terms and conditions.

For any element of your trip booked after the 13th March 2020:
- We will not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Nor will we cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning this virus."
Please note that we will continue to accept claims unrelated to the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:14 pm Thai tourism is going to zero for a while.
With all the entertainment venues closed, bars, many restaurants, etc. and now all these restrictions - it doesn't seem to me there is much point for a holiday in Thailand right now, assuming with all these restrictions it is even possible to get here. And when it's time to leave, who knows what the airlines will be doing or if they will even fly to your destination.

I don't have any idea whether restaurants are having any problems getting deliveries. I'm wondering when people order a meal whether the restaurant will be able to serve it or if customers will be hearing a lot of "no have".

Too many issues, restrictions, what ifs, and unknowns that would suit me for an enjoyable holiday. Somehow, needing a holiday to recoup from your holiday wouldn't be for me.

And nobody knows how long this will last or if even more restrictions will be imposed.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The supply chains are working. Full shelves at Foodland, Villa, Tesco, Big C, etc. Makro was packed with customers.
Jun

Post by Jun »

1 With no insurance cover for Covid and all the other disruption, I'm not even thinking about holidaying in Thailand in the next few months.

When Thailand wants to get back to encouraging tourism in a few months time, they will might need to offer inbound tourists the option of a bringing medical certificate or immediate screening for a modest fee.

2 Based on experience elsewhere, I would advise any board members not to let stocks of essential foods run low. No need for any irresponsible panic buying, but buy at least your normal quantities.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I think we all hope a nationwide lockdown can be avoided, but it certainly seems to me that the handwriting is on the wall for more drastic measures to be imposed as more and more people are coming down with the virus.

As far as I know, no board members, or anyone else reading this board, currently in Thailand have come down with the virus. I hope it stays that way.

The last paragraph of the article says:
Bangkok Post wrote:The country has already imposed a de facto ban on most international flights, by issuing regulations that are deliberately bewildering and almost impossible for a normal traveller to fulfill. They include a requirement for a medical certificate stating that the person is free of Covid-19.
In other words, Thailand is not saying you can't come at all if you can meet the requirements and if you can even find flights to and from Thailand, but they are making it so difficult, who would want to? And again, if you can somehow get to Thailand, there are too many uncertainties about being able to return home again.

Don't forget, if even one person on your flight is suspected of being ill with the virus or has been in close contact with someone ill with the virus, you're probably going to be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival. Under quarantine you don't get to decide where or how that will be. You get no choices. You will be placed in a designated quarantine facility - and these are not nice places to find yourself stuck for 2 weeks.

My advice - until this is over, stay home.

More border closures in fight against virus

Maximum of one land checkpoint per border province will be allowed to remain open

20 Mar 2020

The Interior Ministry has ordered most border provinces to leave only one international checkpoint open as the country tries to block arrivals to contain the coronavirus outbreak that has caused a sharp jump in cases this week.

Key checkpoints to temporary shut are the first Thai-Mayanmar Friendship Bridge in Tak, which will be closed until further notice. The Phu Nam Ron and Three Pagodas passes linking Kanchanaburi and Myanmar will be shut from Saturday to April 3. On the eastern front, Ban Khao Din in Sa Kaeo, opposite Cambodia, which will be closed from Monday to April 5.

Checkpoints with Malaysia were already closed for all intents and purposes after the Malaysian government locked down the country for two weeks from last Monday. Malaysia has reported 900 Covid-19 cases, the most in Southeast Asia.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda on Friday ordered governors of border provinces to consider closing all temporary passes and keeping only one main checkpoint in each province open. The exception will be Chiang Rai as it borders on Myanmar and Laos and will be allowed to maintain one checkpoint for each country.

Gen Anupong has given the governors full authority to seal off their provinces by shutting all checkpoints if they consider the Covid-19 situation has worsened in their areas.

All Thais will be strictly banned from crossing the borders to neighbouring countries, according to the ministry.

Tak governor Anrasit Samphanrat on Friday ordered the border closure at the first Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge from Saturday. The bridge is the main gateway between Thailand and Myanmar on roads that lead to Yangon.

The second Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge across the Moei River in Mae Sot district, which opened last October, will be the province’s only checkpoint open to travellers.

Kanchanaburi governor Jirakiat Phumsawad ordered the suspension of the Phu Nam Ron permanent checkpoint in Muang district and the Three Pagodas crossing in Sangkhla Buri from Saturday to April 3.

Phu Nam Ron is a main crossing on the route to Dawei in Myanmar. The Three Pagodas pass connects Sangkhla Buri and Payathonsu in Myanmar.

Sa Kaeo governor Woraphan Suwannus has ordered three closures from Monday to April 5: the Ban Nong Preu temporary checkpoint in Aranyaprathet district, Ban Ta Phraya temporary checkpoint in Ta Phraya, and the Ban Khao Din permanent checkpoint in Khlong Hat district.

Only the Aranyaprathet checkpoint will remain open to connect the country with Cambodia.

All of the checkpoints, except Ban Khao Din, border Banteay Meanchey province of Cambodia. Ban Khao Din links Sa Kaeo with Battambang province.

Temporary checkpoints operate largely to facilitate border trade for local residents on both sides.

Mukdahan on Friday halted ferry service across the Mekong River to Savannakhet province in Laos until April 20, according to the Thai News Agency of the Public Relations Department.

The country has already imposed a de facto ban on most international flights, by issuing regulations that are deliberately bewildering and almost impossible for a normal traveller to fulfill. They include a requirement for a medical certificate stating that the person is free of Covid-19.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... inst-virus