Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Thailand Prepares for the Worst

Post by Undaunted »

Government contemplates worst case scenario:

Thailand prepares for nationwide lockdown if COVID-19 outbreak worsens

by Mark Kelly

March 19, 2020

The Thai Government is making preparations to cope with a third-stage outbreak of COVID-19 which would include a countrywide lockdown, according to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

The Thai Government is making preparations to cope with a third-stage outbreak of COVID-19 which would include a countrywide lockdown, according to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

He said on March 18 that Thailand remains at a controllable stage, but he had already ordered preparations be made to cope with a third stage should it eventuate.

Meanwhile, the country’s army began spraying roads in Bangkok with disinfectant on March 19 morning to combat the spread of the SARS-Cov-2. The daily cleaning is carried out from 1 am to 5 am until the end of March.

Also on March 18, the Thai Ministry of Public Health said 400 beds will be ready in Bangkok hospitals by this week.

Dr Somsak Akhasilp, director-general of the ministry’s Department of Medical Services, called on the public not to worry about a shortage of hospital beds to accommodate virus victims.

He said thanks to strong medical resources management, there will be enough beds and sufficient medical treatment for all patients if the outbreak reaches crisis level.

According to the ministry, “crisis level” would be reached when the number of COVID-19 cases admitted to hospitals exceeds 1,000 per day. Resources would be sufficient to deal with a “critical-level” outbreak, including the provision of an extra 4,000 beds for infected patients.

Thai authorities are working to find space at sports stadiums, apartments and hotels where convalescing patients can be cared for.

Thailand confirmed 35 additional cases of COVID-19 on March 18, raising the total there to 212, including one death.

https://pattayaone.news/thailand-prepar ... k-worsens/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Thailand Prepares for the Worst

Post by Gaybutton »

Apparently some Thai officials want to lock down the country regardless of whether the situation gets worse.

Hopefully it won't come to that, but the way things are happening it is certainly on the table and is a real possibility.

A nationwide lockdown could also apply to the airports, especially if Thailand decides to ban all international flights. That opens a possibility of coming to Thailand for a holiday - and under the circumstances I can't imagine why anyone would - of ending up quarantined, stranded in Thailand or both.

If a lockdown happens I will start a new topic about the lockdown and delete this topic.

In the meantime, we will try to keep everyone updated as best as we can.

Calls for lockdown mount

Chuan set to forward proposal to Prayut

By Aekarach Sattaburuth

March 20, 2020

Six former House and Senate speakers have called on the government to put the country under lockdown and ban entry to foreign travellers.

Two former Senate speakers, Suchon Chaleekrua and Nikhom Wairatpanich, presented the proposal on Thursday to Parliament President Chuan Leekpai who promised to forward it to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

The proposal was raised at a meeting attended by the six former speakers. Four others who support the proposal are former House speaker Arthit Ourairat, former Senate speakers Sanit Worapanya, Gen Thiradej Meepian, and Prasopsuk Boondej.

Mr Suchon said the former speakers wanted parliament to convene a special session to discuss ways to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic as it is a national emergency.

The former speakers agreed that parliament should be used as a mechanism to solve problems related to the virus which has gripped the country, Mr Suchon added.

Mr Suchon said Mr Chuan agreed with the lockdown proposal in principle and would forward it to the prime minister.

Mr Nikom said that he supports the government's work, however, from now on, it must show unity and work together to come up with tough measures to deal with the virus.

Mr Nikom said the six former House and Senate speakers' proposal involves a lockdown and strict measures such as a ban on entry for foreign travellers. However, under the proposal, people in the country would still be allowed to travel domestically.

Meanwhile, 48 civic groups on Thursday also issued a joint announcement calling on the government to treat the Covid-19 outbreak as stage 3 in order to pave the way for health officials to screen, isolate and treat infected patients with greater efficiency.

They also want the government to ban people from entering and leaving the country for three weeks to prevent spread and for the government to declare a brief state of emergency in order to ban gatherings of more than five people for three weeks.

They also asked the public to avoid movement except when they need medical attention or need to engage in activities associated with essential needs. The government must also allocate a budget to ensure the public can access sufficient supplies of food during the lockdown, the groups said.

They also said that the government is duty-bound to provide sufficient face masks, hand sanitisers, and other necessary medical supplies for hospitals, medical personnel, and members of the public among other proposals.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... down-mount
odd

Post by odd »

60 new cases yesterday taking the total to 272. Increase almost doubling each day, as in other countries.
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

The US government issued the highest level warning to Americans not to do international travel. They will not guarantee Americans will be able to return and may be forced to stay in the destinations they go to as other countries may close their borders as there is a possibility the US could close its borders. I canceled my trip to Thailand. Hope to be able to travel soon.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I have been using this covid-19 tracker.

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/
Jun

Post by Jun »

That map fails to pass my "common sense" test.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:09 pm That map fails to pass my "common sense" test.
Don't leave us in suspense. What is the problem about the map?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 pm Don't leave us in suspense. What is the problem about the map?
There are Covid cases in all sorts of unlikely places, but not Pattaya.
Considering "foreigners" are a significant source of Covid and Pattaya is a major tourist destination, this is strange.

Then we have Italians in Chonburi hospital with it. They might physically be in Chonburi hospital, but would be interested to know where they were before going to hospital. I bet a hell of a lot more Italians go to Pattaya than Chonburi & I encountered quite a few in Pattaya last month. [Being a coffee addict]

There are also reports of cases in Chonburi, without any clarification if this means Chonburi province or city.

So I have my doubts about the map. Unlike certain people, I'm not going to say its DEFINITELY wrong with no evidence, but I'm suspicious.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm not sure why this applies only to Bangkok, but there it is:

Bangkok closes all non essential shops, beauty salons, non fresh food markets and stops dine-in at restaurants due to Covid19 concerns until April 12

By Adam Judd

March 21, 2020

The Prime Minister of Thailand Prayut Chan-O-Cha announced additional restrictions in a press conference to the the country an hour ago. The following closures ONLY apply to Bangkok. Provincial governor’s however may extend the closures to their provinces at their discretion.

The following measures are in effect:
Additional Bangkok locations will be closed, namely department stores and malls. Only super market zones / drugstores / take-out at restaurants will be available.

Dining in at restaurants will not be allowed except for hotels which may only serve people staying at the hotel.
In addition, the decision has been made to close all markets, as well as beauty salons and beauty clinics.

Swimming pools, internet and gaming cafes, arcades and amusement parks are closed.

Customers are only left with shops selling consumer goods, fresh goods, and dried goods. Markets selling fresh food may stay open.

This is a developing story. It was not specifically mentioned but inferred the closure to entertainment venues will also be extended to April 12, 2020.
This will be effective from 22 March 2020 – 12 April 2020, a total of 22 days.

This is NOT a lockdown people are free to move about, however, closes all non essential businesses in Bangkok.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/21/b ... -april-12/
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Rompo, Thepprasit, Jomtien, Pratumnak, etc. are all sources of food for Thai people (and foreigners). I can see closing the clothes and souvenir stands but I think the food stands should remain open for takeaway service.