Thailand the Next Italy

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Thailand the Next Italy

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 pm You should be more worried about Prince Charles than what is happening here in Thailand :!:
I'm sure he'll get the very best medical treatment.
If he doesn't survive, we have a better replacement next in line.
If he does survive, well at least he's not Trump.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 pm You should be more worried about Prince Charles than what is happening here in Thailand :!:
Let's cut the crap and get back to the virus problem.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:52 am
As for Thailand, I would really like to know why the growth rate in case numbers suddenly increased about 10 days ago. They've gone from doing OK to the same kind of growth rates seen in Europe or the US.
Testing increased
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:07 pm You are naive after living here so many years :!:
Maybe not so naive after all:

Committee set up to find those responsible for organising March 6 boxing event

Mar 26, 2020

Army chief General Apirat Kongsompong on Thursday (March 26) ordered the setting up of a committee to find the people responsible for holding a competition in Lumpinee Boxing Stadium on March 6.

The boxing stadium, which is under the management of the Royal Thai Army, has been the hotbed for the spread of the new coronaviris (Covid-19) in Thailand, prompting demands by Thai netizens to hold the Army accountable.

The holding of the event could be deemed a violation of a government diktat, after Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, on March 3, ordered all public gathering locations such as sports stadiums to be closed.

The private sector was allowed to hold a public gathering if it strictly followed the Public Health Ministry guidelines while the authorities of the public sector were ordered to consider the appropriateness of the gathering before granting permission.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384871
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:28 pm Army chief General Apirat Kongsompong on Thursday (March 26) ordered the setting up of a committee to find the people responsible for holding a competition in Lumpinee Boxing Stadium on March 6.

The boxing stadium, which is under the management of the Royal Thai Army, has been the hotbed for the spread of the new coronaviris (Covid-19) in Thailand, prompting demands by Thai netizens to hold the Army accountable.
1 So the army is investigating itself. One of the privileges of being above the law. For a matter like this which has huge negative consequences for the civilian population, any corruption free country would arrange an independent investigation.

2 I always though armies had chains of command. So it the army manage the venue, it follows that everyone in the chain of command should share some of the responsibility.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 pm There is also the wider question of what exactly is the army doing running a boxing stadium ?
I know, I was amazed when I first learned this myself, but the Thai Army are in BIG BUSINESS. They own many major companies, including some mega conglomerates involving the Chinese, and yes, many sports stadiums including boxing arena's.

And of course is Army is run by "you-know-who", and "you-know-who" answers to "you-know-who-who". So when it comes down to which "who" is the blame for this: You already know that "you-know who" is certainly not going to blame "you-know-who- who". So nobody's to blame.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I read somewhere that Thailand was hoping to be a developed country by 2037.

There is zero chance of that unless they fix:
1 Corruption
2 The education system

I expect neither to happen. Thankfully it's not my problem to solve.

Corruption also appears to be compromising the COVID battle.
Jun

Post by Jun »

By extrapolation, both Italy and the US seem likely to pass the number of declared cases in China tomorrow.

Thailand looks to be about a month behind, if we take the liberty of believing the stats. The trouble is, we can't believe the stats of many countries, as some don't do enough testing and others have governance issues.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 pm There is zero chance of that unless they fix:
1 Corruption
2 The education system
Can you name a country that doesn't have the same problems, including developed countries? I can't think of any.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Dodger wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:51 pm Thai Army are in BIG BUSINESS. They own many major companies, including some mega conglomerates involving the Chinese, and yes, many sports stadiums including boxing arena's.
And Channel 5 television station.