Thailand the Next Italy

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Thailand the Next Italy

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:23 am Can you name a country that doesn't have the same problems, including developed countries? I can't think of any.
No country is totally free from corruption and has a perfect education system.

However, on corruption, the wealthier parts of Europe have marginalised it to the extent that it's not holding the economy back much.
We certainly don't see the police running illegal businesses, or going around collecting bribes so openly.
If any western European army run a commercial boxing stadium AND held an illegal event which led to mass COVID infections, the independent media would pretty much force the government into an independent enquiry.
People don't expect to pay bribes.
Parts of eastern Europe and Italy have much more corruption of course.

I understood that North America, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore are not exactly held back by corruption either.
Thailand probably has a lot of catching up to do with other Asian countries, such as Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.

Whilst education might vary from country to country, Thailand does not score particularly highly on the education scores I do see.

I would still argue that corruption is the number 1 thing stopping Thailand from developing and education is the number 2.
Not that it's my problem to worry about.
One side effect of slow development is affordable money boys (even if many of them come from even more corrupt countries to the east, west and north of Thailand).

A free press is one of the things that should help to expose corruption & keep the government on it's toes. Actually, the Bangkok Post is regularly critical of the government, so I would be intrigued to know if the Thai language newspapers are the same.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I believe USA is much closer to follow Italy's path than Thailand. On corruption, Thailand corruption index score is dismal to be polite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruptio ... ions_Index
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Regarding the fiasco at the boxing stadium ..owned and run by the army ?
surly no one thinks anyone from the army will be held responsible ..less you forget who runs this country .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bluemoon wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:40 pm surly no one thinks anyone from the army will be held responsible
Maybe no one else, but I think they will be held responsible. They transferred the general who was in charge of the stadium so that he cannot try to interfere with the investigation.

Instead of deciding among ourselves what the military will or will not do, it makes much more sense to me to wait and see what they actually do - and how they punish whoever was responsible. In my opinion whoever was responsible ought to get a very long prison sentence. Whatever is done, I hope it will be much more than a mere slap on the wrist.

Now I'm waiting for Undaunted along with whoever wants to join him to tell me all about how naive I am . . .

Senior Army officer transferred as inquiry begins into March 6 boxing event

Mar 27, 2020

The Army's welfare department chief has been shunted out as an inquiry begins into a boxing event on March 6 at Lumpinee Boxing Stadium that has led to scores of people getting infected with the new coronavirus (Covid-19).

The Royal Thai Army said on Friday (March 27) that Maj-General Rachit Arunrangsri, who was in charge of the stadium when the "Lumpinee Champion Kiatpetch" boxing match was organised, will work at Army headquarters.

On Thursday (March 26), the Commander in Chief of the Royal Thai Army, Apirat Kongsompong, had tasked General Ayuth Sriviset, head of the Army Personnel Department, to form a committee to investigate the holding of the boxing event that has been blamed for aggravating the Covid-19 situation in the country.

According to the Army’s regulations, the key person involved in running the stadium must move to the headquarters in order to pave the way for the committee to investigate the case.

Rachit is being treated at Phramongkutklao Hospital, after he was infected with Covid-19.

The holding of the event could be deemed a violation of a government diktat, after Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, on March 3, ordered all public gathering locations such as sports stadiums to be closed.

The private sector was allowed to hold a public gathering if it strictly followed the Public Health Ministry guidelines while the authorities of the public sector were ordered to consider the appropriateness of the gathering before granting permission.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384929
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

The above link is well worth a read.

Incidentally, someone just posted a link in the "Face Masks, Gel etc" thread on Gay Guides, which describes how someone significant is isolating from the virus. I'm not linking to it from here for obvious reasons. The link has been reported to moderators there.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:54 pm I'm not linking to it from here for obvious reasons.
Thank you. I didn't understand why you didn't post the link or what those obvious reasons might be until I saw the post. That is definitely a no-no on this board. I'm glad you knew that.