Pattaya Lockdown - Beginning Thursday, April 9

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Re: Pattaya Lockdown - Beginning Thursday, April 9

Post by 2lz2p »

I had my first experience with the checkpoints yesterday when I went to attend a cremation. He unfortunately finally succumbed to his liver cancer last Sunday at BHP with his Thai bf of 19 years by his side. Both are close friends of me and my bf.

The funeral was at Wat Boon Samphan.

No problem or checkpoints in getting there. I live off of Jomtien 2nd road, so took it to soi Chaiyapruek turned left to Sukhumvit where you can now only turn left and go north (the Chaiyapruek checkpoint is just to the south of the intersection). Staying in the right lane, you can do a U-turn at Soi Boonkanchana to go south on Sukhumvit (the Boonkanchana checkpoint is just north of the intersection). At Chaiyapruek 2 road, a left turn to the RR road and then back north continuing to Soi Boonsampan then right going toward the Wat's location. So, encountered no checkpoints.

In returning, I took Soi Boonsampan to Sukhumvit where you have to turn left and go south. Staying in the left lane, you bypass the checkpoints until you reach the intersection where you wish to turn right to in to the west side of Pattaya (hmmm, although we call the east side, the "dark" side, I have never heard of the west side being called the "light" side).

I chose Thepprasit Road intersection - stayed in the right lane and the checkpoint was just before the intersection (the right two lanes are barricaded so you have to turn right onto Thepprasit Road). We went through the checkpoint fairly quickly, no long line of vehicles (one good thing about the light traffic we are now having). The first stop was for temperature check - one person on each side of the lane, so they get the passenger & driver sides at the same time - very quick process. A few feet further, another stop to show paperwork that we live in Pattaya -- I had an A-4 size paper with the front & back of my driving license blown up big on it. Easy for the policeman to see without having to touch it - I did have to point to where it showed my address. This was sufficient and we were waved on through to the traffic light and made our turn onto Thepprasit. I did have blown up copies of my passport face page, latest extension stamp, & latest address report just in case, but they were not requested.

All in all, not a bad experience. My next venture out will most likely be on 4 May when I have some doctor appointments at BHP - based on the maps for the checkpoints, we shouldn't have any checkpoints to go through when heading north (except for the one at Chaiyapruek coming in from direction of Sattahip there are no others on the north bound side). It is nice to know that on the return, it will again be only one checkpoint to go through.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

The situation is somewhat foggy as I was stopped on Sukhumvit temperature check only with an apology for stopping me while 2 people have during the shutdown gone to and from BKK without issue.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:52 pm The situation is somewhat foggy as I was stopped on Sukhumvit temperature check only
Seems similar to immigration - what happens is up to the whim of the officer you're dealing with. Nothing standard. At least there have been no new virus cases in Pattaya lately, so whatever they're doing apparently is working, even if some of it is haphazard.

The part that seems to be most rigidly enforced is curfew violators. They do seem to be very strict about that.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Whatever the Thai government is doing apparently is working well. The total numbers are relatively low and the daily number of new cases is dropping.

I assume Prayuth Chan O Cha will ease the curfew in May. Good.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ISAC69 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:26 pm I assume Prayuth Chan O Cha will ease the curfew in May. Good.
We will know soon enough. I hope whatever restrictions do get lifted, they won't have to reimpose any of them later. I think most of us have become used to the restrictions. But once they are ended, it would be difficult to impose them again. In my opinion, the worst case scenario would be people getting their jobs back and returning to work only to have to lose those jobs again.

I hope the powers-that-be won't rush into anything without thoroughly thinking it through. As much as I dislike having to live with these restrictions, I would prefer to live with them a while longer rather than them being lifted too soon and having to go through it yet again.

I have no idea what will happen or when it will happen. My crystal ball is in the repair shop . . .
gera

Post by gera »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:52 pm The situation is somewhat foggy as I was stopped on Sukhumvit temperature check only with an apology for stopping me while 2 people have during the shutdown gone to and from BKK without issue.
I wonder whether blue book (which I have as a condo owner) may work as a proof of Pattaya residence.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I go to BHP daily from Jomtien. I now use 2nd Road (avoid 3rd Rd, construction still) all the way to North Pattaya Dolphin roundabout and then make a left on 3rd Rd, then a right at stop light and come into BHP on the side road. You are never on Sukhumvit. Returning to Jomtien via Pattaya Beach Rd. There is still construction on the beach near the Amari, Soi 6, and Walking Street but traffic is nonexistent, only a few sawng taeos looking for fares that few can find. The trip is very fast since I no longer have to detour to Sukhumvit (and no checkpoints).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger - cringe warning. The following article is by Adam Judd . . .

A significant week ahead for Thailand and Pattaya as Thai Cabinet to deliberate on easing restrictions and the Emergency Decree

By Adam Judd

Monday, 27 April 2020

The week ahead will be a significant one for Thailand as on Tuesday, April 28, 2020, the Thai Cabinet is expected to deliberate on extending the current Emergency Decree which controls the majority of the restrictions and rules around stopping the potential spread of the Covid-19 Coronavirus in the Kingdom. The Emergency Decree currently is set to expire at the end of this month.

Many of the current measures in place in Thailand to help control the Covid-19 Coronavirus, such as a National Curfew from 10:00 PM to 4:00 AM, domestic travel restrictions, closures of most non essential businesses, International travel restrictions, border closures etc. fall under the decree as well as emergency powers given to the Prime Minister, Prayut Chan-O-Cha, to control the situation. The National Security Council stated late last week that they have suggested to the Thai Cabinet to extend the Emergency Decree as they feel the situation is not yet fully resolved.

Meanwhile, many other Provincial Governor’s have also enacted additional rules and restrictions with the protection of harsh punitive fines and jail terms due to the Emergency Decree, such as closures of beaches, stopping public transportation like buses and trains, some provincial travel restrictions, mandatory mask wearing and an alcohol sales ban that has been controversial among many vocal opponents of the ban online.

Thailand reported, as of today, 15 new cases and 0 deaths. Five of those cases were imported from recent Thai citizens returning from overseas. The country has had a total of 2,922 cases with 2,594 recoveries and 51 fatalities. Today’s non imported case total is the lowest in over a month, showing that the country appears to be on an overall downward trend and that the measures introduced under the Emergency Decree, although called harsh by some critics, seem to have brought positive results to the effort to control the Coronavirus.

However, the country has had over 27 million people file for government financial aid under a program to distribute 5000 baht a month (roughly 150 USD) for three months. The original Thai Government estimate of individuals that would apply for this aid was 3 million. Additionally, multiple social welfare organizations report an estimated 10-14 million people currently unemployed due to the closures of nearly all non essential businesses countrywide. Although the Thai Government has stated, by borrowing money, they will be able to provide assistance for fourteen million of the 27 million who applied, many complaints have arisen from those denied for the financial aid.

Additionally, viral images of food charity lines in the thousands have been active on social media across the country, especially in Pattaya, a city that is is driven by tourism. Last year, an estimated 80% of the cities overall revenue came from tourism dollars and the entertainment and hospitality industry in a city that welcomes millions yearly. Since the control measures went into place, the vast majority of businesses have been shuttered, leaving the thousands of bars, nightclubs, strip clubs, karaoke lounges, concert halls, hotels, tourist attractions and restaurants eerily silent. Many voices are calling for easing of the rules due to the economic damages and some have raised concerns of the human cost of the rules in terms of suicide and domestic violence.

Prime Minister Prayut, however, stated to the press last week that he would not be pressured by public opinion or demands to open the economy and that his first priority was the health of the nation and that the economy came second. Analysts and multiple Thai Government experts believe the Emergency Decree will be extended to ensure the country does not potentially get a damaging second wave of the Covid-19 Coronavirus.

Regardless of extension of the Emergency Decree or not Prime Minister Prayut and the Covid19 Center for Situational Administration, or the CCSA, said they will be looking at potentially easing some restrictions. The rules for the Decree can vary based on the severity of the situation, according to the Prime Minister. Although the Decree is likely to continue it is also likely that some easing of the current rules may take place. Information on any easing of the rules would also likely take place early this week.

In many provinces, including Chonburi, the home province of Pattaya, the current restrictions and orders from the Governor end on April 30 as well. The Governor’s have previously stated that any new orders being issued will be dependent on the current situation with the Covid-19 Coronavirus as well as the status of the Emergency Decree being extended and any National direction. Chonburi has previously said based on the dire economic situation they would wish to re-open but recently gave a disclaimer to their statements, saying that any openings of business and easing of rules would be based on the overall countries situation with Covid-19.

All eyes will be on the Thai Cabinet this Tuesday afternoon. Once a decision is made, the Chonburi Government will likely release new orders within a day or so as well to give business owners the opportunity to prepare if any restrictions are eased this week.

The Pattaya News will provide regular updates throughout the week on this and all breaking local and National Thai news.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/27/a ... cy-decree/
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I don't know anything about Adam Judd but this article was written simply and clearly. If it's typical of his output then he's got every right to be a writer. It's too bad that like nearly everyone under 55yo, he's all thumbs with apostrophes. More often wrong than right with possession vs. plurality.
- The Governor’s have previously stated
- an estimated 80% of the cities overall revenue
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Emergency decree extended

27 Apr 2020

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Monday decided to extend the Emergency Decree for another month after it expires on April 30.

CCSA spokesman Taweesilp Visanuyothin said on Monday the decree will be extended to the end of May.

The reason is concern about the return of the virus, with the centre still battling to stop it spreading any further.

The decision means the night curfew from 10pm-4am will continue, no social gatherings allowed and only limited inter-provincial travel, among other restrictions, Dr Taweesilp said.

The meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and brought together all agencies to discuss the impact of the decree.

The National Security Council told the meeting that it surveyed public opinion, and it favoured the extension of the decree, Dr Taweesilp said. He gave no other details of the survey.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... e-extended
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"