GB's annual Songkran report

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

GB's annual Songkran report

Post by Gaybutton »

It wouldn't be annual if I didn't at least say something. As you all probably know by now, Songkran water splashing has been postponed until further notice. They are hoping for some time in July, but that will depend on the status of the virus situation by then.

Those of you who usually leave Thailand to escape Songkran water splashing, I guess you can start thinking about where you'll want to go - that is if the airlines are flying again by then.

Ok, that's it. That is my entire Songkran report for now.

To be continued, maybe in July . . .
Gaybutton

Re: GB's annual Songkran report

Post by Gaybutton »

Pattaya sees a very different Wan Lai this year due to the Covid19 Coronavirus

By Adam Judd

Sunday, 19 April 2020

Today is April 19 in Pattaya, traditionally known as Wan Lai in the area and is in normal years the culmination of a week long ever escalating and growing celebration to commemorate the Thai New Year, known as Songkran.

In regular years today brings out estimates of hundreds of thousands in one of the world’s truly unique festivals. The final day usually features dozens of concerts, parties, events, water throwing, special vendors, shows, celebrating, drinking, family gatherings and an overall feeling of positivity and energy for those who participate. It’s so big that it is impossible to travel in the city and taxis stop running as the streets fill with revelers celebrating in the back of pickup trucks and vehicles for miles. Even most of those who dislike the Songkran festival (and there are plenty, including those who leave the country for it) generally agree the final day is one wild party and can be a lot of fun.

Songkran Day in Pattaya is, even more than New Year’s Eve in December, the biggest party of the year.

Until now.

Due to the Covid19 Coronavirus situation in Thailand all mass gatherings have been cancelled, especially one as massive as Songkran Day in Pattaya. An estimated eighty percent of businesses remain closed and most of the city is out of work. Times are hard and charity lines stretch for up to several Kilometers at some locations. Alcohol sales are banned and socializing over drinks is prohibited. Beaches are closed along with every possible place people could gather and socialize.

However, many have come together in this difficult time and shown true community support, helping those less fortunate. Dozens of businesses across Pattaya, too many to cover in individual articles for every one, have helped the tens of thousands out of work, many of whom live day by day and were in support fields of the entertainment industry, such as maids, cooks, food vendors, DJ’s, service staff, etc. This shows that even in tough times Pattaya is able to come together and support those who need it.

The Thai Government has stated that they still plan to have a Songkran celebration later in the year and promised the Thai people they would still get their festival this year, although it will likely be dramatically different and depends on the improvement of the situation. It is unlikely even if there is a postponed Songkran in the late summer or fall that the usual millions of tourists will be able to arrive for it.

For now, the city is quiet, deeply unusual for a city known around the world for it’s tourism, entertainment and nightlife. However, seeing the amount of people helping to support the community gives many hope that Pattaya will overcome this challenge, like many before. It is also worth noting that many lives have been saved this year without the festival, as hundreds die yearly in the “seven deadly days of Songkran” driven primarily by drunken road accidents.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/19/p ... ronavirus/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I hate how this awful virus has ravaged the world however, this is the best Songkran I’ve seen in 19yrs.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:40 pm this is the best Songkran I’ve seen in 19yrs.
Assuming you had the same option of staying indoors for the previous 18 years, what's better this time ?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:52 pm Assuming you had the same option of staying indoors for the previous 18 years, what's better this time ?
When I must go out for necessities there are few, if any, vehicles on the roads and I can go about my business without getting soaked by the usual fucking idiots :!:

I realize you are somewhat consumed with the happenings in Thailand but it might be interesting to hear what life changes you are experiencing back in the UK.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 pm I realize you are somewhat consumed with the happenings in Thailand but it might be interesting to hear what life changes you are experiencing back in the UK.
Changes:
1 I go to the grocery store earlier in the morning in an attempt to minimise the social distancing queue. I wear a mask inside the store.
2 I don't go to the town centre to buy stuff (that I don't need anyway)
3 My plans to do MORE travel to southern Europe, Bali etc over the summer months have been replaced by an enforced plan that is the exact opposite.

The rest of my day is as normal, reading, gardening, walking, cycling etc. Also, trying to broaden my exercise routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdrWkIqe64
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun, you mention travel, frankly I don’t know how anyone can plan travel now or in the foreseeable future . I think Thailand banning incoming travelers however the pain it is causing the economy is the right thing to do and should continue the ban for the foreseeable future. I personally feel a lot less stress about the virus living here.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:38 pm Jun, you mention travel, frankly I don’t know how anyone can plan travel now or in the foreseeable future.
As I said, replace original "more travel" intention with no travel.

I am, of course watching the situation intently, as I still hope to travel to SE Asia next winter. I don't know what the probability of that happening is.

Perhaps this is over optimistic, but countries will have to move on from lockdowns in the next few weeks. If we don't even know if a vaccine will be available in 2021, then we can't keep everyone shut up for a couple of years. They think a vaccine will be possible, but so far, none of the previous coronaviruses have an approved vaccine.

With a bit of luck, all of the trials going on at present might identify some drugs or treatments that improve survival rates more quickly.

Then, if tourism is allowed at some point, I guess each individual will have to make his own decision.
The median age is 40.5 years for the UK. Anyone below that, or even just above it has a negligible probability of dying from covid.
I'm quite some way past that milestone, so have to think more carefully about it, but Covid will not keep me at home for ever.

We're a long way off topic here, but there isn't that much on topic to discuss.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:38 pm I personally feel a lot less stress about the virus living here.
I feel none at all. I think Pattaya has it well under control. As far as I know, on "The Dark Side" where I live, throughout this entire crisis, from the very beginning, there have been no cases at all.

And people are cooperating with the curfew. At the time of this post it is just about 11:00pm. When I step outside you can literally hear a pin drop. It has been like that every night since the curfew began.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:56 pm We're a long way off topic here, but there isn't that much on topic to discuss.
I'm the only one who gets to decide that, but you're right. Obviously there is no Songkran news to report, so this is one time I don't mind the topic morphing.

As for Songkran, the only water splashing I have experienced so far has been when I take a shower or give the dog a bath, which he loves, by the way.