Covid 19 and Suicide

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Covid 19 and Suicide

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:02 am From Donald Trump?
See reply to ISAC69.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

It's not uncommon for deaths like this to occur upcountry that never get reported to anyone, let alone the news media. The family has a small funeral, the monk(s) perform a blessing, the body is burned, everyone gets drunk, and the spirit is released to give the next life a try. End of story.

In Theravada (Thai) Buddhism, the first precept is to refrain from the destruction of life, including one's self. Suicide is viewed as being a negative act, and for this reason, the family members typically conduct less formal funerals and avoid sharing this news with those outside the family, or extended family. In-other-word: Avoidance of loss of face.

I've been up in the heart of Isaan (Buriram & SiSaket) for the better part of the past 3 months. The people are all following the rules, but there's an overwhelming sense of depression in the air. No more smiles...or songs...or clusters of friends getting mau at night, and most notably...no "Sanook" whatsoever. This presents a dangerous situation for Thai people in general. Not just because of the ban on alcohol or loss of jobs, but the forced-isolation which has all but erased the "Sanook" from their daily lives. Most of us here understand the role that "Sanook" plays in Thai culture.

Fortunately, most of the businesses in Buriram will be reopening on Friday, and from what I understand, neighboring Nakon Rachisima (Korat), Surin, SiSaket, and Ubon Rachathani will be following suit shortly, which is great news for the Isaan region. "Sanook" wil start creeping incrementally back into their lives...which, hopefully, will prevent some of these suicides.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pm Fortunately, most of the businesses in Buriram will be reopening on Friday
I hope so, but don't be so sure. See: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 50#p101206
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:19 pm I hope so, but don't be so sure.

I'll provide an update on Friday, but some of the businesses are jumping the gun and have already reopened, including the fitness center & swimming pool where I have a membership which makes my day.

As long as the people operating the businesses, and its patrons, have "Healthy Stickers" on their ID cards (or passports for foreigners) apparently they're good to go. (see "Healthy Stickers" post)

Jai and I went shopping yesterday and you can already feel the excitement in the air. Fingers crossed, all systems will be go.

As a side note: the buzz I'm hearing is that this "Healthy Sticker Program" is going to be used in all provinces, including Chonburi, prior to them being open-for-business. That's just rumor - not fact.