Undaunted

Covid 19 and Suicide

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Covid 19 and Suicide

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:35 pm Thailand’s poor seek a way out:
This is such a sad, terrible situation - and just to make things worse, people in the Pattaya area are running out of city water and many may be forced to buy water from the trucks, adding to the financial problems. And so many have lost their jobs and don't have any money at all.

One young Thai committed a petty crime and turned himself in to the police. He said if he is in jail, at least he'll have a roof over his head and will have food.

The bottom line is the situation has become desperate for a great many Thais and there is really no light at the end of the tunnel. All these businesses that are supposed to be able to reopen on May 1 and the restrictions that are supposed to be lifted on May 1 - at the time of this post May 1 is less than a week away. I don't see how any of that will be able to happen so soon.

Even if businesses are allowed to reopen and people start getting their jobs back, the norm in Thailand is to pay employees once a month, on the last day of the month. That means even if these people do get their jobs back on May 1, they'll still have to survive somehow until May 29, the last Friday of the month.

I just don't see any of these problems going away any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I did a bit if shopping today, as I drove down Thappraya road I passed a place that was handing out free food there must have been 50-60 people waiting for a chance for food.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
daherk

Post by daherk »

Check out Jomtien Complex almost every bar and restaurant have set aside a different day to give away food averaging from 200 to 300 meals along with a bottle of water. This is a daily occurrence around 3 - 4 pm serving the unemployed, taxi drivers and children. It's nice to see the customers and bar owners donating to the less fortunate.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

With the nation-wide ban on alcohol there will probably be a lot more suicides before this thing is over.

There are a lot hard-core alcoholics and drug addicts over here. Many (if not most) can't even afford the cheap Thai whiskey and yaba they need for their daily fixes. Some can handle the withdrawal symptoms, and some can't. It's not uncommon for those who can't to commit suicide.

When and if the Thai people receive the 5,000 baht stimulus aid payment promised by the government, most of it would evaporate in the same amount of time it would take to unload a case of whiskey from the back of a pick up truck, A lot of Thai women will be getting their asses kicked by their husbands for trying to stop them from running off with the money for these purposes.

Of course I'm talking primarily about the poor Thais, which only accounts for 99% of the population. I wouldn't expect to see too many suicides coming from that fortunate 1% who reside comfortably somewhere in Oz.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:48 am With the nation-wide ban on alcohol there will probably be a lot more suicides before this thing is over.
Maybe not. Not all liquor is for sale in stores. That so-called "Thai whiskey" is mainly a moonshine product, isn't it? I have a feeling alcoholics can find it if they want it. Also, if illegal drugs are so readily available, I doubt people who want liquor that badly would have all that much trouble finding it.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Dodger wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:48 am Of course I'm talking primarily about the poor Thais, which only accounts for 99% of the population. I wouldn't expect to see too many suicides coming from that fortunate 1% who reside comfortably somewhere in Oz.
From where did you get the false information that 99% of the Thais are poor and 1% are rich ?
It's better to base your observations on facts and not on narrow minded perceptions.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ISAC69 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:28 am From where did you get the false information that 99% of the Thais are poor and 1% are rich ?
From Donald Trump?
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

ISAC69 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:28 am
Dodger wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:48 am Of course I'm talking primarily about the poor Thais, which only accounts for 99% of the population. I wouldn't expect to see too many suicides coming from that fortunate 1% who reside comfortably somewhere in Oz.
From where did you get the false information that 99% of the Thais are poor and 1% are rich ?
It's better to base your observations on facts and not on narrow minded perceptions.

Reports like this suggest it's not too far out
https://www.aseantoday.com/2019/01/thai ... elections/
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

ISAC69 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:28 am From where did you get the false information that 99% of the Thais are poor and 1% are rich ?
Here we go again...another wizard.

I was speaking in very general terms to make a point.

I can assure you that the perceptions I have regarding Thailand are usually drawn from first-hand observations, in-depth research which I actually enjoy, or a combination of both. If you care to to broaden your own perception on this issue, I suggest you read the article that Traveller123 posted above. If you're still left confused, I can link you to a hundred more articles and reports if you don't mind wading through a lot of statistical data and small print.

Cheers