Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Big Brother is Watching You!

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Big Brother is Watching You!

Post by Gaybutton »

That's fine with me. They are using it to catch people violating the virus rules by being exactly where everyone has been told not to go. I'm not going to believe any of them if they try to say they were not aware of the rules. I don't think the police are going to believe them either.

I'm sorry if people are bored and tired of isolation, along with having to somehow survive without liquor, but that does not give them the right to violate the rules, perhaps spreading the virus or coming down with it themselves.

Like it or not, the rules are for everybody and everybody is expected to obey them. Pattaya has had very few virus cases. The drone is helping to keep it that way.

People are being politely asked to leave the areas where they are not supposed to be. Hopefully the police won't have to take it to the next level, but if they do, I'm all for it. They are using the drone to try to protect us from the virus. If anyone sees anything wrong with that, go ahead - convince me.

If this type of "Big Brother" is watching, good! And I hope he's watching very carefully and not missing anyone violating the rules.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I hope they don't start using surveillance drones to monitor "Prostitution" which of course is also against the rules.

Can you imagine having one of these mini UFO's tracking a boy who's navigating to your room to provide sexual services for money.

Oh well, I guess a rule is a rule.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:47 pm I hope they don't start using surveillance drones to monitor "Prostitution"
I knew sooner or later someone would come up with utter nonsense like that. I thought it would take longer than it did.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

According to an article quoting Thailand's Tourism and Sports Minister, an estimated 500,000 tourists have, at no fault of their own, ended up overstaying their tourist visa's due to Covid-19. As we all know, clemency has been provided to these tourists for humanitarian purposes.

I've watched several Utube videos which are being broadcast by stranded tourists which pretty much all are describe the same dismal situation. After watching these I'm left with a feeling of gratitude for residing here versus being here on holiday when this pandemic hit. For me, which I assume is the same for the majority of other retired expats, I have the comforts of my own dwelling, friends and acquaintances I can interact with, I know the ropes and can usually get what I need through some means, and most importantly, I don't have to worry about boarding an international flight which may, or may not, even take off to get me home. Isolating as a resident, and isolating as a tourist, present completely different sets of challenges, both physically, and emotionally, and I think the "Rules" should have a bit of flexibility considering this.

I've watched several other Utube video's which show people who are clearly breaking the curfew rules along Pattaya Beach. One video showed a couple walking hand-in-hand along the shore with drinks in their hands. Another video showed a small group of 3-4 young farang tourists just sitting on the beach watching the ocean waves. My feeling after watching these video's was "Fuck the Rules". The odds of catching or transmitted Covid-19 with the winds sweeping across the South China Sea blowing in these peoples faces are literally nonexistent. The option these particular tourists are faced with was (is)...continue staring a hotel room wall day-in and day-out, or take a stroll on the ocean to clear their heads. Breaking the rules, yes. Should anybody give a fuck, no. Anyone running around after curfew in the inner city, or in large groups, or not wearing face masks, should be apprehended. I have no problem with that. But, to suggest that "The Rules are the Rules" and should be rigidly followed without considering the surrounding factors isn't what the objective of "Isolation" is all about.

If Big Brother is watching to see who's following the rules, then don't assume that Big Brother won't be watching you one day as well to make sure you're following all the rules.

What's that old saying..."Be careful what you ask for - because you just might get it".
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:47 pm I hope they don't start using surveillance drones to monitor "Prostitution" which of course is also against the rules.
Can you imagine having one of these mini UFO's tracking a boy who's navigating to your room to provide sexual services for money.
Oh well, I guess a rule is a rule.
The authorities have for years allowed bars which facilitate prostitution to exist in exchange for tea money.
What I would not like to see is them trying to turn all the business done on phone apps into another revenue stream. If they do, I expect drones would not be part of the business model.

Of course, the most ethical solution would be to legalize prostitution and introduce the severest punishment possible for police corruption (after a cut off date), combined with an independent body to police the police.

I also have no problems with temporary monitoring of activity during the lockdown. When countries start monitoring to the same extent as China, that's time to worry.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:25 pm don't assume that Big Brother won't be watching you one day as well to make sure you're following all the rules.
That is exactly what I assume. And I will continue to assume that unless and until there is any verifiable evidence to the contrary.

Do you truly believe they spent big bucks for that kind of drone so they can spy on people in case they are taking a prostitute, male or female, to their room? Give me a break.

And I am delighted to see the following article. Personally I am disappointed these people got off so lightly. The BiB have been threatening heavy fines and jail terms. Obviously threats are failing to deter some people. But if the BiB start carrying through with those threats, that ought to be a significant deterrent.

And if they ever return, I hope they do the same with the Sunee Plaza motorbike maniacs. That would certainly qualify as legitimate use of drones.

Pattaya arrests 23 beach-closure scofflaws, promises heavy fines if violations continue

By Boonlua Chatree

April 28, 2020

Saying that warnings are not working, Pattaya police threw 23 people violating Pattaya’s beach-closure order into jail, hoping to set an example of what can happen if people don’t start heeding the law.

The 12 Thais and 11 foreigners arrested on Pattaya, Jomtien and Yinyom beaches were relaxing, swimming and sitting on beach mats around 5 p.m. April 27. Many also weren’t wearing face masks, another violation of Pattaya health regulations put in place to control the spread of Covid-19.

The beachgoers did not go quietly. Several Thais and a foreigner argued with police about what the emergency decree “really” meant and what they believed their rights were. One stroppy foreigner, after trying to insist he knew more than the police, then claimed he was immune to the rules as his father was a local gangster.

All were taken away and tossed into cells.

After being threatened with the maximum year in prison and 100,000-baht fine for breaking the emergency decree, all were released with a stern warning.

While the number of confirmed cases in Pattaya has plunged to zero in the past 10 days, the national emergency decree has been extended for another month. While some businesses will be permitted to reopen – with strict physical distancing measures in place – authorities remain loathe to reopen places where people can gather in groups, whether it be sports stadium, bars or beaches.

Pattaya’s public-relations campaign regarding the beach closure has been vigorous, employing numerous signs, unmanned drones and patrol police. Anyone found violating the decree until now had been given warnings, but the numbers of people congregating has not dissipated.

Exasperated with the continued defiance, Pattaya tourist police and city regulatory officers decided to make examples out of scofflaws Monday. While they hope further arrests aren’t necessary, the next people detained may face expensive penalties.

Story and photos: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattay ... nue-297356
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:16 pm The authorities have for years allowed bars which facilitate prostitution to exist in exchange for tea money.
What I would not like to see is them trying to turn all the business done on phone apps into another revenue stream. If they do, I expect drones would not be part of the business model.
I agree, and it's interesting point you raise.

Considering the "New Normal" which will evolve after this pandemic, it looks like people will be using the apps to secure their dates a lot more than the bars which may not even employ sex workers going forward. It wouldn't surprise me if the powers-to-be come up with some way of tapping into this growing on-line money stream.

I also agree that prostitution in Thailand should become legal, but until that day comes (if it ever does) it remains against the law and wouldn't be allowed if it weren't for the tea money it's providing. That said, it's a far stretch imagining them using drones for this purpose, but they could always tap into the communications taking place on these dating Apps to track and nab their victims. Another way would be to insert undercover workers to pose as boys (or girls) offering these services, similar to the undercover surveillance techniques they use now when targeting a bar.

Who knows. I certainly hope it never comes to this, but after this corona dust settles things will change, that's for sure.

Honestly as far as the drones are concerned, they probably won't buy any more than the one shown in the video for PR brownie points, and even if they did, they wouldn't be able to fly the dam things without crashing them into oncoming traffic... :lol:
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

You don’t need a drone or anything other than one pair of eyes to spot people sitting on a vast and otherwise empty beach! TIT.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

As of today, April 29, the total number of cases in Thailand is 2,947. According to NBC news, as of today in the USA the total number of cases is 1,012, 535. Total number of deaths in Thailand - 54. Total number of deaths in the USA - 58,298.

I'm happy to live with Pattaya's drone(s) - along with everything else Thailand is doing to deal with this crisis..