Planning to go to Thailand any time soon? Read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Planning to go to Thailand any time soon? Read this

Post by Gaybutton »

Tourism sector will only start recovering next year, say experts

May 14. 2020

Businesses that have been severely affected by the Covid-19 outbreak, especially those that rely mainly on tourism in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC), are in dire need of support.

Pratya Samalapa, vice chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (TCC), however, said it is still too early to predict when the tourism industry will recover as it relies mainly on arrivals from China.

He said there may be fewer tourists even after the government lifts travel restrictions as many countries are still struggling with the pandemic and blocking overseas travel to curb the contagion.

“After the tourism business is unlocked, there will only be some stranded Thais returning and maybe some groups arriving to hold seminars. This may help some businesses, but will not be able to stimulate recovery, especially since this region fully relies on foreign tourists,” Pratya said.

The private sector is working on tourism stimulus measures to propose to the government. The proposal will focus on domestic travel to help tourism businesses survive, before preparations can be made to take in foreign tourists once the outbreak ends.

Meanwhile, Teerin Tanyawattanakul, chair of the Chonburi Chamber of Commerce, said the agency has discussed the Phase 2 of the relaxation of measures with the provincial authorities, and is considering lifting restrictions on golf courses, parks, hotels, resorts, restaurants and tourist attractions in the province.

Tourism has been hit the hardest by the Covid-19 outbreak, with most tourists having disappeared and operators losing 80 to 90 per cent of their income.

The Chonburi and EEC Tourism Development Plan, which does not cover Pattaya City and Bangsaen, was created to promote other attractions in the province, such as the Hundred Pillar House or Ban Roi Sao.

“We expect the Covid-19 outbreak to end by the beginning of 2021 and travel should once again begin once the vaccine is found. The tourism sector in Chonburi should return to normal by the second quarter of next year,” Teerin said.

Thanate Vorasaran, vice president of the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT), said the eastern region is suffering the most and not much can be done because it relies mainly on foreign arrivals.

All borders to Thailand are still closed and no tourists are allowed to land. It is believed that Thai nationals may be allowed to travel overseas by the beginning of July, and the government may allow interprovincial travel soon if the number of new Covid-19 cases remains low.

Most foreign nationals will not be allowed to enter Thailand for most of this year, though it is believed that Chinese tourists may be allowed into the country by July as the number of infections in the country is under control. Operators believe there will be a large influx of Chinese tourists because they are not able to travel anywhere else.

“TCT predicts that the number of tourists in 2021 will match the number in 2019. Hence, it is important for operators in the tourism sector to start preparing for the influx,” Thanate said.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30387799
Gaybutton

Re: Planning to go to Thailand any time soon? Read this

Post by Gaybutton »

Apparently now it won't be until July, the soonest, when foreigners will be allowed to enter Thailand. Even then, foreigners will still likely have to be quarantined 14 days upon arrival. And that's if the airlines are flying to Thailand again by then.

In other words, I think those of you would like to return to Thailand are going to have to wait for at least months before a trip to Thailand will be feasible - unless you like the idea of spending your first 14 days in Thailand isolated and quarantined.

Look at the bright side. If one of the reasons you want to travel to Thailand is because you want to get away from it all, your wish will be granted. You'll not only get away from it all, but you'll get away from it all - for at least 14 days. And after the quarantine, what then? You can go shopping, go to a swimming pool, and go to a restaurant. If that's all you're looking for, you'll have a great time.

However, if going to the beach and going to the bars is on your agenda, we have no idea yet when, or if, they will be reopened. We also have no idea what requirements the bars will have to obey, along with what you will have to obey.

At some point the powers-that-be will have to recognize if they want to get the tourist industry started, then they'll need to first reopen the airports, convince the airlines to start flying to Thailand again, stop hassling incoming foreigners, and no quarantines. They will also have to give tourists a reason to spend their money for a trip to Thailand. Unless the venues that attract tourists have reopened by then and are permitted to operate virtually freely, how many would even want to go to Thailand?

You get to pick the phrase that seems most currently appropriate - "See you soon" or "See you later".

The airlines are also going to have to figure out how they're going to get pilots and cabin crew to be willing to fly to Thailand. As soon as they step off the plane, they're subject to the same rules as everyone else, aren't they?

I can hear it now:
Pilot to wife: Honey, I just got the call I've been waiting for. I'm back on international. Of course I haven't flown or have been on a simulator for the past few months, but so what? I'm flying - just like Peter Pan.
Wife: Flying to where?
Pilot: Thailand. I'm leaving tomorrow. I guess I'll be in Bangkok for a while. See you in about 2 weeks. I just hope I'll at least get decent food. I've had my fill of airline food.
Wife: 2 weeks? What will you do there for 2 weeks?
Pilot: Not much. I just hope I get a room with an air conditioner, hot water shower, decent bed, and a stimulating view out the window.

Thai Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand extends ban on International inbound travel to Thailand to end of June

By Adam Judd

Saturday, 16 May 2020

The Thai Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand, or CAAT announced this evening that they have extended a ban on international inbound travel to Thailand until at least the end of June.

This has very limited exceptions, such as repatriation of Thai nationals or supply and cargo. Foreigners, even those with work permits, family or elite visas, even willing to do state quarantines, will remain banned from entry.

Exceptions, including repatriated Thai nationals, will still be required to do a fourteen day mandatory state quarantine and show they are negative for Covid-19.

This means the earliest a foreigner could possibly enter the country would be July, if the order is not extended again. Even if not extended it is likely the order would require mandatory quarantines on arrival.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/05/16/t ... d-of-june/
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Unless you have family here that you want to reunite with, I can't see a single reason why anyone would want to visit Thailand now.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

SP55 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 pm Unless you have family here that you want to reunite with, I can't see a single reason why anyone would want to visit Thailand now.
To escape the Corona epidemic in the UK.!
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

I wanted to visit in december 2020 but i am happy i not booked the flight in february with Qatar.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

gerefan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 am
SP55 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 pm Unless you have family here that you want to reunite with, I can't see a single reason why anyone would want to visit Thailand now.
To escape the Corona epidemic in the UK.!
There must be plenty of more cheap and near countries for that... Try Belarus.