PEA to start digging up South Pattaya Road June 13

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

PEA to start digging up South Pattaya Road June 13

Post by Gaybutton »

PEA (Provincial Electric Authority) to start digging up South Pattaya Road (Saturday) June 13

By Pattaya Mail

May 28, 2020

The Provincial Electricity Authority will begin burying power and communications wires on South Road June 13.

The project, which began on Central Road before moving to North Road, is aimed at not only beautifying Pattaya but making the power grid stronger and more reliable.

As before, work will begin at Sukhumvit Road and move westward, with two lanes closed and detours created where necessary. Roadwork is expected to continue until year-end.

For more information, contact the PEA at 087-230-8118. (PCPR)

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pea-to ... -13-301798
Jun

Re: PEA to start digging up South Pattaya Road June 13

Post by Jun »

Doing this when there are almost no tourists in town makes sense, although an earlier start would have been even better.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:53 am an earlier start would have been even better.
That is true, but earlier the powers-that-be wanted everybody to stay home. Maybe that is why they didn't start sooner.

Unfortunately there are very few alternate ways to go wherever it is necessary to go on Pattaya Tai. It is probably more of a pain to use alternate sois than to just go through the inevitable traffic snarl.

If those of us in Pattaya are lucky, maybe they will have most of it done before tourists and the hordes of Chinese tour buses return.

Most reading this who are not yet able to come back to Pattaya probably will not have much reason to worry about traffic problems on Pattaya Tai anyway.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Let's see, they start near Sukhumvit first so when high season starts (assuming there is one) that means the construction would be somewhere around Tuk Com as they work their way west. Sounds like a good plan to me.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Up2u wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:35 am Let's see, they start near Sukhumvit first so when high season starts (assuming there is one) that means the construction would be somewhere around Tuk Com as they work their way west. Sounds like a good plan to me.
:D

That part does seem to be badly thought out.

I was going to say that this particular tourist usually only needs to join the traffic on south road once, which is upon arrival. Once there, I just walk around the western end of the road & when departing, it's from Jomtien bus station. I could even avoid the road upon arrival, by staying on the bus until Jomtien.
For a tourist prepared to base himself close to the action and walk to places, the traffic is probably of less concern than for permanent residents living in the outskirts of town.

Of course, digging up the road will curtail trade at some of the open fronted restaurants & cafes on that road, just when they need to get back to making money.