Ready for yet another scam? How about this one - fake eggs

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Ready for yet another scam? How about this one - fake eggs

Post by Gaybutton »

I think I'll just buy mine at legitimate grocery stores.

These eggs are fake, says angry buyer

by Prasit Tangprasert

29 May 2020

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: When Sombat Thunsungnoen bought several trays of discounted chicken eggs from a mobile grocery store he thought he was getting a bargain - until he tried to cook them.

Sombat, of Sung Noen district, complained to reporters on Friday that he had been scammed. The eggs were fake.

He said that on Monday he went out to buy chicken eggs at Sung Noen fresh market. Then he saw a mobile grocery store, a six-wheel truck, selling eggs in front of the market.

The eggs were much cheaper than the other stalls, so he bought three trays -- at 60 baht a tray of 30. Other stalls sold eggs of this size at 85-100 baht a tray. He also bought two more trays for a neighbour.

He was happy with the purchase and returned home. It was only when he cracked open some of the eggs to make an omelette for his children that he realized he had been had.

The eggs he bought were not real. They had no smell and the egg "whites" were a powdery gel. He also realised then that the shells had a rough surface, not like normal eggs, and there were dark red dots on them, Mr Sombat said.

He later went to a store inside his community to buy eggs to compare them with the ones he bought from the truck. They were normal eggs; the others smelled like raw meat, and the whites were like a jelly, he said.

Mr Sombat said he had given some of the fake eggs to the Sung Noen district public health office to examine.

“I want the proper agencies to urgently investigate the sale of thse fake eggs. It's now rampant in Sung Noen district. Don’t let rogues inflict more harm on people at a time of economic hardship.

"Everybody is losing income because of Covid-19 disease. Worse still, I fell victim to this unscrupulous trader. I can't bear the thought,” Mr Sombat said.

On March 26, the Commerce Ministry banned egg exports for a week after prices soared as a result of Covid-19. Egg prices in the provinces had increased three- to four-fold as people stocked up - causing a shortage.

The ministry later extended the ban on egg exports for a month, starting on June 1, to ensure an adequate domestic supply.

Story and photos: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ngry-buyer
Jun

Re: Ready for yet another scam? How about this one - fake eggs

Post by Jun »

Clearly the Bangkok post will run any bullshit story. These look like eggs to me.
Besides, eggs cost naff all to produce and despite having had an engineering career, there's no way I'd even try to make a "fake" that looks that good for less money than eggs at the farm gate.
Not even a mould flash line in the shell. I couldn't get that right on one egg for the retail price of a dozen.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:33 am Clearly the Bangkok post will run any bullshit story. These look like eggs to me.
No so clear to me. I wouldn't want to try any of the ones the man says are fake. Would you? Terribly sorry, but I won't be joining you for an omelet made from any of those eggs . . .

I don't know why the man would make up such a story but whether he did or not, I'll be buying my eggs at legitimate grocery stores.

In any case I'll reserve my judgment for the results of those eggs getting inspected before I call it a bullshit story.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:18 am

In any case I'll reserve my judgment for the results of those eggs getting inspected before I call it a bullshit story.
Do they inspect eggs in Thailand as they do in the west? If so something went wrong one night in Sunee Plaza.

My Thai friend bought some eggs from a vendor and started to eat them. One contained a well formed chick.

What did he do? He didn’t bat an eyelid and just munched it down, chick and all.

Yuck....TIT!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:57 am What did he do? He didn’t bat an eyelid and just munched it down, chick and all.
That may not have been accidental. He may have bought a balut, which is popular in the Philippines and I have seen Thais eating it too.

You'll have to look up balut for yourself. I can't handle even looking at pictures of it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:18 am No so clear to me. I wouldn't want to try any of the ones the man says are fake. Would you?
If the contents of the egg are as bad as described, I imagine they're very old eggs, or have some other such defect. So that would be my only reason for not eating them.

I reckon there's zero chance the eggs in the picture are man made fakes.
For a start, how do you even make a synthetic egg shell, that looks like an egg, has a white surface on the inside of the shell, breaks like an egg and doesn't even have any signs of modern manufacturing processes, such as injection points or split lines ?
Then once you've figured that out, you need to do it for a factory gate price less than that of real eggs.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:12 pm If the contents of the egg are as bad as described, I imagine they're very old eggs, or have some other such defect.
Whatever they are, I ain't eating 'em . . .
DragonMaster

Post by DragonMaster »

Yes Jun, you can make fake eggs. They have been around for many years. I’m sure you have access to a search engine in the UK that can supply you with plenty of examples.

http://www.financetwitter.com/2016/03/f ... -them.html
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well, I stand corrected. I was kind of expecting "fake" eggs to have some kind of obvious split line, like in the following picture. However, if they are creating the shell by dipping, then it avoids that problem. They would still need a process that prevents any kind of dip or flat where the finished egg sits, whilst the shell solidifies. That shouldn't be difficult.