Bar observations

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bars opening 1 July - my observations

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:52 pm Anyone owning a Nice bar where the staff masturbate on stage or do anything else you wouldn't necessarily want to share with the police might take some care over where the CCTV cameras point.
They do take care of that. I've never heard of CCTV cameras inside any of the bars. If a bar ever did that and people found out about it - end of the bar.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

I believe that Neil who owned the Sawatdee board for a while, had a camera in his bar - but it was focused exclusively on the till!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Of course, just when the bars reopen, now they get to close Monday, July 6 and Tuesday, July 7 for the Thai religious holidays.

A friend was at Pattaya's Winner Bar yesterday evening when the police came around and informed the bars they will have to be closed for those 2 days.

Also, if you want any liquor you better buy it before Sunday. Alcohol sales are also banned Sunday and Monday and possibly Tuesday too. Naturally there is already plenty of confusion and conflicting information as to just which days alcohol is prohibited and which days the bars have to be closed. However, my friend was there when the police announced Monday and Tuesday the bars have be closed. As always, you never know whether the police will make any changes to what they've already announced. I'm not going to try to guess.

Not all that many bars have even reopened yet, but that's the information that was given to me. I have no idea whether that applies only in Pattaya or throughout all of Thailand. So far I have received no bar information for anywhere other than Pattaya.

Two day alcohol sales ban for religious holidays starts Sunday

By Adam Judd

Friday, 3 July 2020,

The Department of Disease Control in Thailand confirmed in a post on social media this morning that there is a 48 hour ban on the sales of all alcohol this weekend and the official dates will be July 5th and 6th, 2020.

This means that at Midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning, selling alcohol will be illegal until Midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning. This follows substantial confusion and mixed messages on many websites and forums regarding the alcohol closure days due to calendar differences in Thailand and other countries. We waited to announce this at The Pattaya News as there were mixed messages from various officials and organizations as well until this morning.

This means that entertainment venues, which primarily sell alcohol, who were just allowed to re-open after a three and a half month closure, will need to shut their doors again on Sunday and Monday to respect the religious holidays in Thailand. Violators face up to six months in jail and/or a fine of 10,000 baht.

All sales are forbidden, which means that although restaurants can be open, they cannot sell alcohol. All stores and shopping centers are also forbidden from selling. There is no ban on consumption of alcohol in the privacy of your own home.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/07/03/t ... ts-sunday/
Jun

Post by Jun »

ceejay wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 am I believe that Neil who owned the Sawatdee board for a while, had a camera in his bar - but it was focused exclusively on the till!
Seems like a sensible thing to do if running a bar.

The police rule to store CCTV footage for a month presumably doesn't mean much if there's no obligation to have CCTV.
a447

Post by a447 »

ceejay wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 am I believe that Neil who owned the Sawatdee board for a while, had a camera in his bar - but it was focused exclusively on the till!
Actually, he had a basic still camera over the till (it took blurry photos) and CCTV inside the bar but he rarely turned it on.

I always go into a bar presuming that there is CCTV somewhere. But I never saw one in Eros (thank God!)
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Most boybars have CCTV from what I've seen in Pattaya.
Eros had several cameras and the monitor was behind the bar disk. Winnerboys, Euroboys, Toyboys, Cupidol are the ones I immidietly remember seeing CCTV cameras or monitors in. Even the new Goodboys that was called Dragon something had a monitor downstairs showing what went on upstairs.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:55 pm If a bar ever did that and people found out about it - end of the bar.
Obviously I'm wrong.
DragonMaster

Post by DragonMaster »

In order to get your license to run a bar, you are required to provide photos of your CCTV system as well as the number of cameras in use. The police can, and do sometimes check to make sure the system is operational as required. The license folks also stop by to inspect for licenses, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting etc.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Good news, Forest house bar in Sunee plaza has also reopened. That makes it a total of six bars in Sunee. Earlier this evening Winnerboys had 6 boys and Nice boys had 12-13 boys. Not busy with customers but I would say an ok number of customers in the Sunee bars. Hopefully, and probably, enough to keep those six bars going.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I personally wouldn't give a monkey's about CCTV in bars as long as I don't ever hear of any customer getting compromised by it.

One of the advantages of being a low profile is that very few people are interested in what I do on holiday, so the images are unlikely to end up on the BBC. Most high profile people have to behave, as it would be one hell of a story if they were caught enjoying the full range of entertainment in the next Eros. I doubt you will see Tim Cook in Sunee any time soon.

I've not yet heard about the authorities using bar CCTV against a customer either.

As for the bars, well 6 opening in Sunee is not a bad result, when the trade is presumably 100% expat & hence down on normal levels.