Renewing Thai Driving License

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Renewing Thai Driving License

Post by 2lz2p »

Although mine is not due to renew until next year, there seems to be some hitches if one needs to renew their license at this time.

First, even though the Dept of Land Transport (DLT) offices have opened again and are issuing and renewing Thai driving licenses, it seems one needs to use a smart phone App to book an appointment -
The app can be downloaded from the App Store (iPhones) or the Google Play Store (Android phones) by searching for DLT Smart Queue.

Second, the person with the Pattaya City Expats Club that provides driving license assistance tells me that without evidence of a booking at the DLT, Jomtien Immigration will not issue the Certificate of Residence (the DLT will also accept a certification from a person's Embassy in Bangkok may or Work Permit, provided the Permit is one that lists a person's address). However, based on the news article, the DLT is limiting the number of applicants they will accept each day - so without pre-booking, even if they have the Embassy letter or acceptable Work Permit to show their address, without a booking, they may not be able to get in to apply.

Third, a close friend of mine who will soon need to renew his 5 year license tells me he downloaded the App (android version), but when he opens the App, selects Log In by Passport ID, nothing happens - no screen appears to enter information. I mentioned to him that maybe - just a hunch on my part - the DLT wants to give priority to the many Thais out there that need to renew their license and may have not activated the ability to book if one is using their passport to log in - would they do that :o

My bf needs to renew his driving license, so he downloaded the App this morning to his iPhone, selected Thai language, and then logged in with his Thai ID, a screen did appear to enter information to get a booking (he has not decided yet on when he wants to go, so he did not proceed with making a booking).

Trongpai

Re: Renewing Thai Driving License

Post by Trongpai »

I renewed my Thai DL in Bangkok (Chatuchek office) last year and there were many new hoops and it took all day. This was my 4th renewal and the most complicated. The number of hoops and complications seem to compound every year. Each office seems to have their own special rules. Pattaya has generally been at the cutting edge of wacko rules but it seems that Bangkok has caught up.

In Bangkok we've always had to go to our home embassy to get an "address verification letter" . I went to the USA embassy and was told they no longer give those. It was discontinued with the income verification letter. The Land Office after going through several puzzled staff gave me a long list of documents I needed to get my address "letter". I returned with a the package of documents, took a number, waited three hours and got the address verification, 200B.

This was my experience at the USA embassy over a year ago and I don't know if other embassies have the same rule.

I starting to get the feeling that we're not welcome here anymore.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:54 pm Third, a close friend of mine who will soon need to renew his 5 year license tells me he downloaded the App (android version), but when he opens the App, selects Log In by Passport ID, nothing happens - no screen appears to enter information.
I installed the app on both my smartphone and tablet. The same happens for me. If I tap on opening the app with a Thai ID card, it opens right up. If I tap on open with a passport, nothing.

What a great app!! And apparently required too.

The only suggestion I can think of is to go out to the driving license office and show them what happens - or doesn't happen - when trying to use the app.

The article does say: "As for people who have never booked or applied before, the queue is now fully booked. A new round of bookings will start on the 1st of July with all kinds of tests and services available to customers."

Maybe it is still fully booked and that's why the app won't even open.

I am not so sure this app is really required, at least to get a residence certificate. There are certainly reasons farang might need a residence certificate other than getting a Thai driving license.

This began on June 9. Now nearly a month later we have not heard anything about farang actually being denied the required documents or being able to make an appointment the same was as always had been done. I'm not due to renew my driving license until a year from now. Hopefully this latest nonsense will either be working or there will be alternatives by then.

It does seem that they always manage to come up with things that only make it more difficult for us - such as a requirement like this and impossible to comply. I would complain about this app except for one little problem. I have no idea where or who to complain to.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:02 pm I am not so sure this app is really required, at least to get a residence certificate. There are certainly reasons farang might need a residence certificate other than getting a Thai driving license.
As mentioned, it opened for my bf using his Thai ID - seems only people having a problem are foreigners.

The Certificate of Residence is required by the Land Transport Office for getting a driving license, by the Land Office if purchasing a condo, and by some banks if opening an account. When applying for a residence certificate at Jomtien Immigration, the form has you note the reason you want it. So, if for a driving license, they would know and could well be asking for evidence of pre-booking if getting a driving license is your stated purpose.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Some additional news from the person at PCEC that provides driving license assistance:
I have some fresh new from a person who renewed his licence today.
Pre booking is compulsary. This can be done on he LTD web-site or you go to the LTD office and make an appointment..
For foreigners : They accept 20 persons a day and make two group of 10 . On group 10AM and one 02.00 PM.
The story, that immigration is not issuing a resident certificate without a booking is not correct.
LTD = Land Transport Department [Dept of land Transport (DLT)] The Office referenced would be the Banglamung DLT office off of Hwy 36 that handles driving licenses for Pattaya.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 pm This can be done on he LTD web-site
I'd like to know how. The only LTD web site I can find for Pattaya is: https://www.dlt.go.th/site/chonburi/

Wonderful except for one thing - it is entirely in Thai and no option that I can find for English.

I'm glad you don't have to pre-book to get the residence certificate. I imagine along with the residence certificate it is still necessary to get the medical certificate as well. The medical certificate is available at just about any local clinic. If you're breathing, you'll get it.