Traveling to Thailand - Mission Impossible

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Traveling to Thailand - Mission Impossible

Post by Gaybutton »

I'll give them one thing - they're very good at coming up with things few, if any, people are willing to do. That's quite a spread with the amounts you may have to pay for this insurance. Three guesses as to which end of the payment amount spectrum aging farang travelers would fit into.

Meanwhile, you would still have to jump through all kinds of hoops just to be eligible to buy this insurance.

But don't worry - you don't have to buy it. You know why? Because even with this insurance, you still are not allowed to travel to Thailand.

Seems to me Thailand is shooting itself in the foot with these kinds of ideas and plans.

I'm not sure whether this is accurate, but in the comments section following the article, one person wrote, "They are saying, quoted from your article above, "In order to buy the policy, Foreigners are required to have a certificate of entry". But, the Thai Embassy only issues the Certificate of Entry on condition that you have already purchased the Covid-19 health insurance. Check Mate."

Covid-19 insurance officially approved for foreigners traveling to Thailand

By Nop Meechukhun

3 September 2020

The Office of Insurance Commission made an announcement today, September 4, to give the green light to a Covid-19 insurance policy for foreigners traveling to Thailand.

The approval of Covid-19 coverage for foreign tourists was initiated accordingly to the country’s re-opening measures of the CCSA to prevent the future risk of the spread of the virus since Thailand is ready for limited groups of foreigners to visit, said secretary-general Suthipol Taweechaikarn.

The policy, according to Suthipol, had been thoroughly and officially approved by the relevant health departments on August 28, namely the Ministry of Public Health, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department of Disease Control, Thai General Insurance Association, and the Thai Life Assurance Association.

The purchase of the foreigners’ Covid-19 insurance will be done online and will be activated as soon as they pass through the immigration in the country, said the secretary-general.

In order to buy the policy, Foreigners are required to have a certificate of entry, a Fit-to-Fly Health or Fit-to-Travel health certificate, and a medical certificate, proving that they tested free of Covid-19 via the RT-PCR method 72 hours prior to departure.

Coverage under the insurance will be divided into two parts:

1. In cases of death caused by Covid-19, the company will pay benefits or compensation for the cost of the funeral and repatriation of remains equal to 3.2 million baht.

2. For medical treatment related to Covid-19, the company will pay benefits or compensation to cover the medical expenses up to 3.2 million baht.

Any travelers who meet the requirement must pay premiums to cover periods of 30 days up to one year. The price can vary depending on the Covid-19 risk in the country of origin.

Travelers from low-risk countries will pay between 1,600 and 14,400 baht.
Those from moderate-risk countries will pay between 2,560 and 23,040 baht.
Those from high-risk countries will pay between 4,800 and 43,200 baht.

A complete list of countries is being developed and may change on a regular basis, The Pattaya News notes.

Secretary-general Suthipol stated: “This insurance policy is introduced in Thailand’s insurance system to help manage the risk of the country’s re-opening measures by the government. It will hopefully help maintain health measures and prevent the spread of Covid-19 in the country.”

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/09/03/c ... -thailand/
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Cabinet Approves Long-Term Tourist Visa's

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/19 ... rist-visas

Who knows what will happen to this plan???
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:21 pm Cabinet Approves Long-Term Tourist Visas
This is already being discussed - beginning here: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 06#p102506
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

You also cannot go to Laos.

High-risk tourists barred from visit

October 4, 2020

The Foreign Ministry on Saturday clarified the details of the Special Tourist Visa (STV) for long-stay tourists, saying the most important requirement for all applicants is they must be coming from low Covid-19 risk countries.

The STV scheme is a part of the state's bid to revitalise the economy. Prospective STV applicants are being advised to check which countries' citizens are being permitted by the Public Health Ministry to travel into Thailand, said deputy ministry spokesman Natapanu Nopakun said.

Citing an announcement by the Interior Ministry on Sept 30 regarding permission for foreigners to apply for the STV, he said holders of this special visa will be allowed to first stay in the country for 90 days and then renew the visa twice for 90 days each time. The programme was launched on Thursday. The ministry has stressed to Thai embassies and consular offices overseas the importance of processing the STV accurately and disseminating information to prospective travellers, he said.

Documents required include a certificate of eligibility, proof of payment for state or hospital quarantine for 14 days, full payment for post-quarantine accommodation or ownership of accommodation, a Thai health and accident insurance policy with at least 400,000 baht inpatient coverage and 40,000 baht outpatient coverage, and a health insurance policy with at least US$100,000 (3.16 million baht) coverage for Covid-19 treatment, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/19 ... from-visit

Laos will keep border checkpoints closed until at least the end of October

By Adam Judd

October 3, 2020

Laos stated earlier this week that they have made the decision to keep their borders closed until the end of October to help protect against the Covid-19 coronavirus.

The statement was made by the Laos Deputy Minister of Health Phouthone Meaungpak on Thursday of this week at a press conference.

He stated that all local, traditional and international borders would remain closed until at least Halloween, which is on October 31, 2020.

There are exceptions available for certain government approved cargo and individuals who have permission from the government, such as Laos nationals repatriating to the country.

Laos has only had a total of 23 confirmed cases, with 22 of those fully recovered. The country has, however, got criticism over what some claim is a lack of proper testing. Entertainment venues, despite being open in nearby Thailand, remain closed until at least the end of October according to Phouthone, which includes places like Karaoke bars. Laos has, however, always tightly controlled nightlife as opposed to their neighbor in Thailand.

https://tpnnational.com/2020/10/03/laos ... of-october
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Bangkok Post wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:51 am The Foreign Ministry on Saturday clarified the details of the Special Tourist Visa (STV) for long-stay tourists, saying the most important requirement for all applicants is they must be coming from low Covid-19 risk countries.
So why don’t they have the guts to publish the list...or have I missed it?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:32 pm So why don’t they have the guts to publish the list...or have I missed it?
"You didn't miss."
- John Wayne (Cole Thornton), 'El Dorado'

The article also points out that there is no statement as to the criteria for deciding whether a country is low or high risk. We also don't know who makes the decision.

It seems strange to me too. If they even have a list, what is the point of not releasing it? Another item for my "I Don't Get It" list . . .

Thailand announces only residents from low risk countries for the Covid-19 virus can apply for the new special tourist visa but will not give a list

By Adam Judd

4 October 2020

Officials from both the Department of Public Health and the Tourism Authority of Thailand confirmed this weekend that only residents from countries that are considered low risk for the Covid19 Coronavirus can apply for the new Special Tourist Visa program.

However, officials would not give a list of countries available and would only tell interested parties to speak to their local embassy or consulate.

Meanwhile, some embassies such as the UK embassy have expressed thinly veiled frustration with the number of requests online and sent denial messages to several interested individuals.

The Pattaya News notes that we have also been told by readers that US and Indian embassies have also reportedly told interested parties they are not eligible.

Meanwhile, Chinese visitors from the Guangzhou area are expected to arrive later this month as are Scandanavian “tourists.”

The program is intended for long stay tourism for at least 90 days and not short stay tourism. Criticism online over the low risk only policy has been aimed at Thailand due to the amount of hoops one still has to go through to travel including at least four Covid-19 tests, two weeks of quarantine, insurance, fit to fly certificates and more. Critics say if one has to go through all these protective measures why should there be restrictions on countries?

Meanwhile, some defenders of the policy have claimed that the policy is due to lack of quarantine centers available as well as to reassure nervous Thai citizens who may be concerned with citizens of high risk countries entering.

Thailand has also not stated what they consider low risk or high risk or any criteria.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/10/04/t ... ve-a-list/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

From what I have been reading, people are making an effort to get Thailand to announce from which countries eligibility for the "Special Tourist Visa" will be permitted. My guess is if you are from the USA or the UK, and maybe Australia too, you will not be eligible, although I have no idea how many of you would want to jump through the hoops and be quarantined upon arrival to Thailand, along with committing to a minimum of a 90 day stay.

Some of Thailand's powers-that-be seem to be claiming their embassies are being virtually inundated with requests for information about getting the STV. Given all a person would have to go through to be allowed into Thailand, why do I have a problem believing the hype?

No word at all about if and when unencumbered normal tourism will open again. Again, my guess is it will not be any time soon. I think if you are planning any holiday travel this year, you might want to just plan to stay domestic. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a holiday in Thailand this year and maybe even next year too is out of the question.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:06 pm Some of Thailand's powers-that-be seem to be claiming their embassies are being virtually inundated with requests for information about getting the STV.
I suspect that may not apply to their London Embassy! Have you seen their website? It will go straight to the top of your “don’t get it list”.

Just have a look at the first page for starters...

https://london.thaiembassy.org/
Jun

Post by Jun »

gerefan wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:56 am Just have a look at the first page for starters...
https://london.thaiembassy.org/
No useful information there :D
I don't see any links to information about the STV either.

Having read about all the restrictions, I'm not one of the people contacting the embassy.
@DM

Post by @DM »

Thai embassy in Washington says "Due to a high number of infection rate, the APEC card holders and the applicants who are currently in the USA and wish to obtain Special Tourist Visa (STV) do not fall under the categories that could enter Thailand at the moment, please check back regularly for any updates." People are reporting on Facebook that the embassy in the UK is telling people there the same thing: Not eligible for the STV.

But anyone over 50 can apply for an O-A and enter Thailand that way.