10th Anniversary ?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

10th Anniversary ?

Post by Jun »

Are we coming up to the 10th Anniversary of the forum ?

I notice Gaybutton joined on 31-07-2010, which is presumably on day 1.

Congratulations.
Gaybutton

Re: 10th Anniversary ?

Post by Gaybutton »

Yes, you are right. I had forgotten that myself until your post. It's hard to believe it has already been 10 years. When I think of my previous boards and involvement with other gay Thailand boards, I think I have been doing this for the better part of somewhere between 20-25 years, maybe more. I don't even remember.

What I do remember was starting out with 1 post on a Usenet group after my first trip to Thailand. I never expected and was totally unprepared for the response I received. No exaggeration, I distinctly remember that within an hour of that post I had already received over 500 inquiries. There was no way I could handle that. That was when I got the idea of creating a web site. I did have some experience. I've been at this sort of thing ever since the days of the Atari home computer, 300 baud direct telephone connection speed, and sysops. I wonder how many reading this have been around long enough to even recall those terms.

I did have a copy of Microsoft Front Page, their old web site builder software. At the time I had no idea how to use it or even how to get it online. I had to teach myself. But I persevered and managed to get a first very basic web site online. That is how it all began for me.

When people first began to notice my board, the only other gay Thailand boards in existence at the time were Pattaya Gay and Dreaded Ned. Both are long gone now and many here probably never heard of either of them.

I've seen many gay Thailand boards come and go. I've endured many attempts to destroy my board and even me personally. Those boards are long gone, but I'm still here and as long as I'm alive, physically capable, and pre-Alzheimer's, I intend for me and this board to continue being here.

Thank you Jun. You brought back memories I haven't even thought about for years.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I would also like to take this opportunity to once again thank Moses for all the help and support he has given me in keeping this board running. Without his help, this board would have been gone long ago.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:00 pm I've been at this sort of thing ever since the days of the Atari home computer, 300 baud direct telephone connection speed, and sysops. I wonder how many reading this have been around long enough to even recall those terms.
I remember using a Tandy TRS80 with a 250 baud cassette interface at school. It could take a ridiculously long time to save even a simple program & reliability wasn't assured. They got an Apple II the next year & it was awesome with a 5.25" floppy disk drive. However, I was completely oblivious to the significance of the product.
Connecting via telephone at 300 baud sounds painful, so you must have been quite keen.

I currently have a 300 Mbps fibre optic internet connection. Even the wifi works at 300 Mbps.

Do you have any screenshots of these early efforts ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:06 pm Do you have any screenshots of these early efforts ?
Was there even such a thing as screenshots then? I don't have any.

Think about the technology improvements since then. I try to imagine what kind of technology there will be 50, 100, or even 500 years from now. I'm sorry we're going to miss it. Who knows, maybe by then message boards and internet will be completely obsolete.

For the present I would be satisfied with a technology improvement that guarantees computers and the internet will work correctly all the time and no kind of malware can get in.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Congratulations to Gay Button.
I am a comparatively newcomer to the site.
I appreciate it because it has a different attitude to other gay Thai websites in that the usual nonsense isn't tolerated here. It informs, which in my opinion it does very well.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Happy birthday gaybuttonthai!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:00 pm ......When people first began to notice my board, the only other gay Thailand boards in existence at the time were Pattaya Gay and Dreaded Ned. Both are long gone now and many here probably never heard of either of them.
While we're sailing down memory lane, I'm wondering if you (GB) would remind us of the dates for your original board. I recall joining and reading it back in the mid/late 90's but don't remember if there was a gap in time that you (GB) didn't run a board.

I also enjoyed the other boards (Dreaded Ned's and Allan's too) and, along with GB's original board, the information I gathered from those boards helped me out a great deal when I made my first foray into Thailand back in 1999.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm I'm wondering if you (GB) would remind us of the dates for your original board.
I can't give you specific dates. I don't remember them. However, after thinking about it I do know I have been involved with boards since 1986, perhaps 1 or 2 years prior to that. For a while I took down my own board and was part of running the Gay Thailand board, which is now the GayGuides board. Obviously I initiated this current board 10 years ago.

In other words, I have been doing this for quite a long time. I'm not bored with it or tired of doing it and I hope to continue to be around for a long time to come.
colmx

Post by colmx »

This was the GB site on Jan 24th 2001 - I remember the gyrating boy Gif!

https://web.archive.org/web/20010124185 ... on.com:80/
(if you get a failed to reach error try to refresh your browser)

The same link above has loads of other snapshots of the site over the next 5-6 years or so