10th Anniversary ?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: 10th Anniversary ?

Post by Jun »

colmx wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:31 am The same link above has loads of other snapshots of the site over the next 5-6 years or so
Thank you! This didn't work on Firefox, which is becoming increasingly troublesome, but Chrome was OK. Is quite easy to access the old forum, photos of bar boys, trips to Laos and so on. :)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:03 am This didn't work on Firefox
I wonder why. I use Firefox and it worked for me.

Colmx, that brought back many more memories I had totally forgotten - many good and a few I would like to have continued to have forgotten. I've learned quite a bit since those days.

The boys in the photos - it's probably their sons working in the bars by now . . .
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

GayButton mentioned one of the very best boards, PattayaGay.
Here's quite a number of pages from PattayaGay (circa 2002).
Lots of topics started up by members there who are still posting on Sawatdee nearly 20 years ago.
The only part of the front page which seems to work is 'Archives'.

When you click on 'Archives' on the first page will not always bring it up. A couple of tries usually gets you in. Last night it worked well for me for some time. I had some fun reading old posts by GayButton and Sawatdee, and other members who are long-gone now.
Kind of a salute to Alan (sp?).

http://web.archive.org/web/200410191536 ... /index.php
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:45 am GayButton mentioned one of the very best boards, PattayaGay.
I agree. The sad part is when looking at the bygone boards and seeing the way things were 20 years ago compared to the way things are now - and our chances of ever again having anything resembling the way it was . . .

However, instead of sadness about what we've lost over the years, I think we're better off being grateful for what we still have.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 am However, instead of sadness about what we've lost over the years, I think we're better off being grateful for what we still have.
Agreed.
If we look at a few thousand years of history, it's only been in the last 40 years or so that we have been able to get on a plane at reasonable cost and fly to Thailand in under 12 hours. We're very lucky to be living in this era.
Admittedly, there is a temporary suspension of travel at present. However, as long as some of the rather dodgy world leaders don't start WW3, I'm confident it will be possible to fly to Thailand as normal this time next year and probably much sooner.

The link posted by Smiles is good.

I did find one for GayTingTong, but every time I go to a thread, there is no content. I used to post quite a bit on that, as my original attempt to register for Gay Thailand failed and Gay Ting Tong was one of the forums that managed to avoid a lot of the bitching, at least until it's last days.
https://web.archive.org/web/20091202133 ... index.html
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

It's not often you can remember what you were doing exactly 10 years ago. I was sitting in Baan Dok Mai, killing time and waiting to go out for the night. I saw GB had opened his board and registered on the first day.

Since then i have gone from annual tourist, to spending 6 months a year here, to being a full time resident who has not been in England for nigh on 6 years.

And how my attitudes have changed! After my first 5 or 6 visits, starting 2004 I was an expert on all things Thai, and was ready with an opinion on any subject, for any message board..

Gradually, I learnt how little I know.

Nowadays, I am starting to realise how little I understand, which is not quite the same thing.I try to restrict myself to one post per thread, and then only on subjects of which I have direct personal experience. (I did say try - I do not claim always to b successful).

Thank you Gaybutton, for providing this resource for us all over the years
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:08 pm Thank you Gaybutton, for providing this resource for us all over the years
I appreciate your post. I enjoy doing this. If I didn't, I wouldn't be doing it.

I especially like the part of your post where you talk about how you used to be an "expert". I always get a kick out of it when I see posts from people who spend a limited amount of time in Thailand, but somehow they just know how things work here, how Thais think, how everything is only about money, and not only that - they also know what is going to happen in Thailand. Some even tell us when it will happen and why it will happen.

Meanwhile, one discovery I've made is the longer I live here, the less I know and the less I understand.

I always liked Harry Truman's definition of an expert. "An expert is a fellow who's afraid to learn anything new because then he wouldn't be an expert anymore."
Bob

Post by Bob »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:51 pm .....I especially like the part of your post where you talk about how you used to be an "expert". I always get a kick out of it when I see posts from people who spend a limited amount of time in Thailand, but somehow they just know how things work here, how Thais think, how everything is only about money, and not only that - they also know what is going to happen in Thailand. Some even tell us when it will happen and why it will happen....
Fully agree with your and Ceejay's comments. The longer I'm in Thailand, the more flummoxed I get about some things. On the other hand, the fact I've aged and my mind is turning to mush likely is aiding and abetting the flummoxity (new word?).

I've always gotten a kick out of those tourists who come to Chiangmai, stay at a posh resort out of town for a couple of weeks, and maybe get driven into town 3-4 times to visit a night market or temple.....and then go back to their home country and tell people what Thailand is "all about." They simply don't have a clue.