Pattaya beach to be renovated including underground public toilets

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya beach to be renovated including underground public toilets

Post by Gaybutton »

I just hope those toilets will not be conducive to people getting mugged. We'll see - if they actually build them. I will be interested to see how public toilets supposed to attract domestic tourism.

Also, just in case you are using one of those toilets during a heavy rain, can you swim?
_________________________________________________________________________________

Pattaya beach to be renovated for about 160 million baht including underground public toilets

By GoongNang(GN)

Monday, 17 August 2020

Pattaya beach is planned to be renovated with a 160 million baht budget. The renovation will consist of repaired and renewed footpaths, more green zones, more parking areas and underground toilets.

The Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem told The Pattaya News over the weekend “After the COVID-19 situation, there were no tourists from outside the country anymore. So, we have to attract more tourists from inside the country and drive domestic tourism until borders re-open.”

“The renovation will take place from North Pattaya Beach to the Pattaya Walking Street.”

“There will be more space for exercising as well as plans for underground toilets.” The Mayor added.

“The underground toilet project is aimed to improve the beach scenery and increase more space on the ground, as well as answer common complaints over lack of public toilets on the beach.” added Mayor Khunpluem.

“The walkways and footpaths are to be renovated too. Portions of the walkways suffered serious damage during drainage construction and as a result need to be repaired. ”

“The renovation will start on October of this year with a 160 million baht budget.” The Mayor concluded.

This is not the first time the city has proposed underground toilets, although the exact locations are unknown. The Mayor addressed concerns of flooding by pointing out that the parking garages and lower areas of Royal Garden and Mike’s shopping mall never suffer flooding and any toilet area would be set up similar to their layout and plan. He also stressed that as the drainage work continues to completion across the city that any potential flooding would be rare and brief.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/08/17/p ... c-toilets/
ceejay

Re: Pattaya beach to be renovated including underground public toilets

Post by ceejay »

Interesting that the work is scheduled to start "from October". That rather suggests that they have given up (probably realistically) on there being a high season this year.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:39 am That rather suggests that they have given up (probably realistically) on there being a high season this year.
In my opinion that can be considered a "given". Even before any of this started, over the past few years I saw very little difference between low season and high season. To paraphrase a movie title, it was like "Suppose They Gave a High Season and Nobody Came". That is how it has been. I don't see how it can be any better this year unless attracting domestic tourism is a major success.

For sure there is little or no chance at all for huge numbers of farang to come for this year's high season. Even if Thailand opens for foreign tourism tomorrow, there is still a whole set of problems, including willingness to undergo a 14 day quarantine upon entry to Thailand at your own expense, the possibility of having to endure another quarantine when you return home, the possibility of Thailand shutting down yet again if there is a second outbreak - meaning the possibility of ending up stranded in Thailand - as many foreigners still are, the poor exchange rates, the current policy of all bars having to close at midnight, etc. And for gay farang, the question of how many gay venues will even be open and how many young gents will be available.

I'm sorry to be so pessimistic about it, but I truly believe that is the reality of the current situation and I see no possibility of significant change during 2020 and possibly even 2021. I think it will be years before Thailand becomes a major foreign tourist destination again, especially for gay tourists. I'm hoping there will be an eventual comeback, but I don't foresee that happening any time soon.

Just what difference underground toilets might make - well, I just don't see it.

I really do hope I'm totally wrong.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

The public toilets in Wat Rong Khung (White Temple in Chiang Rai) and Wat Bang Phli Yai Klang (near Bangkok) are worth a visit for their architecture and interior decoration.

I don't see the point of putting toilets in Pattaya beach underground. The space you win by putting them underground, you lose for stairs or an elevator/lift (?). Then there is the flooding and cleaning problem.

The only underground toilets I remember were in Paris. They were built around 1910 in art nouveau style (that's why I wanted to go there), but they were closed, the gate of the fence surrounding the stairs down closed, and the area at the bottom full of garbage.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Anyone seen any signs of these public toilets actually being built?

Why do I think this is yet another little set of promises that have not been kept and probably never will be?
Jun

Post by Jun »

I didn't see any sign of the underground toilets being built and I walked the entire length of the beach a few times between December and late March.

I've seen underground toilets in cities including London and Berlin (Kudamm). I don't regard them as a good idea.

I also don't think they are needed, as there are several places in Pattaya with nice toilets across the road, including all the shopping malls.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Underground toilets sounds like an April Fools spoof.