The latest Covid restrictions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: The latest Covid restrictions

Post by Gaybutton »

Note that the 9:00pm - 4:00am "stay home" request is no longer a request. Now it is a curfew. If you are out during those hours you better have a damned good reason because violating the curfew subjects you to arrest and penalties.

I am seeing reports saying these measures will be in effect up to August 2. However, my crystal ball tells me it will be extended much longer than the 2 weeks between the time of this post and August 2.

Chonburi, Chachoengsao, and Ayutthaya added to maximum control provinces, effective this Tuesday, Royal Gazette announces this morning

By Nop Meechukhun

18 July 2021

Thailand’s Royal Gazette today, July 18th, has added Chachoengsao, Chonburi (Home of Pattaya), and Ayutthaya to the list of 13 maximum control dark-red zone provinces, effective this Tuesday, July 20th.

Similar to the first maximum control announcement in 10 provinces, limiting unnecessary movement and traveling are strongly advised to possibly reduce the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus and the increasing number of infections in the highest controlled zone provinces. Checkpoints will be in place throughout maximum control provinces, according to authorities, to determine if peoples trip is essential and discourage travel. The overall message is “Stay at Home.”

People are being asked to work from home, especially government agencies. The general expectation is that any company that can allow their staff to work from home does.

One of the biggest changes is that the 9:00 P.M. to 4:00 A.M. stay at home “request” in Chonburi will now be an “order.” This means legal mandates can be applied to those who are out without essential reason to do so, such as a medical emergency.

Public transportation will also be suspended during stay-at-home hours, similar to Bangkok.

The strict preventive measures include:

1. No dine-in policy in restaurants. Food must be for takeaway only. Restaurants, including food carts, must be closed at 8:00 PM. There is already no alcohol sales at restaurants for over three months.

2. Closures of shopping malls and other similar establishments, except the essential sections of supermarkets, drug stores, food, groceries, banks and financial institutions, mobile phone shops, and vaccination centers inside shopping centers. They can be opened until 8:00 PM.

3. Hotels and similar accommodations are allowed to open but must refrain from organizing any type of meetings, seminars, or banquets. Hotel amenities must follow the same rules as the overall orders, such as restaurants being take-away only.

4. Convenience stores and markets can be operated with limited hours. They must be closed from 8:00 PM. to 4:00 AM. Yes, this means 7-11 and Family Mart.

5. Schools, educational or training institutions, and other similar educational institutions are technically allowed to open for certain things like teachers teaching remotely but must strictly comply with the health measures previously announced. In-person student learning in dark-red provinces is not taking place, with the exception of some special education students. Chonburi schools have now been closed for months, unfortunately.

Construction equipment stores, banks, pet food stores, pharmacies, gas stations, medical supply stores, and similar shops that sell essential and daily necessities, as well as online delivery services, can be operated as needed and must strictly follow the disease prevention measures prescribed by the government.

All previously force closed venues, like bars, entertainment, etc, must remain closed.

The limit on gathering changes from 50 to 5. More than 5 people gathering is forbidden without permission from provincial officials. More than ONE person gathering to drink alcohol is forbidden.

All measures listed above are effective on Tuesday, July 20th, until further notice.

As a note, Chonburi has not yet released specific orders, although did share the general maximum control zone orders listed above on their social media channels. If you are unsure if your business can open please call the city call center at 1337. The generic orders for maximum control zones did not specifically mention beaches, pools, gyms, or massage shops but it is nearly certain there will be rules and restrictions for these items as well. The latter two are nearly certain to be closed like in other maximum control provinces, the former two will likely be a governor decision.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/18/c ... s-morning/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Pattaya-Chonburi now ‘deep red’; curfew, travel restrictions begin Tuesday

By Pattaya Mail

July 18, 2021

The government on Sunday designated Chonburi (Pattaya) a coronavirus “deep red” maximum-control zone, changing a voluntary stay-at-home order into a hard curfew with orders for everyone to remain indoors, even during the day.

Chonburi was one of three provinces that saw the downgrade from “red” to “deep red”, with Chachoengsao and Ayutthaya joining the list as well. The change and tighter restrictions take effect on July 20.

The province on Sunday reported a record 660 new Covid-19 cases with 167 of them found in Banglamung District, which includes Pattaya. Thirteen of the Pattaya cases were discovered at the Central Festival Pattaya Beach shopping mall.

The Royal Gazette on Sunday carried the announcement from the government about the new deep-red provinces as well as the tightening of other coronavirus-control measures.

A hard curfew has come to Pattaya and Chonburi from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. with anyone found outside in those orders subject to hefty fines and up to two years in jail.

But the government also directed the public in all the maximum-control zones not to go outside unless necessary during non-curfew hours.

Non-essential businesses remain closed but even those still allowed to operate – takeout restaurants, supermarkets and convenience stores among them – must now close from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.

Interprovincial travel also will be further restricted with checkpoints set up on the borders of all deep red provinces to stop all outgoing traffic.

The Royal Gazette announcement came at the same time Thailand reported another record of 11,397 new coronavirus cases and 101 deaths.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattay ... day-363896
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Until we know how much police presence there will be and how thorough checks will be, for the time being I suggest carrying your actual passport with you any time you go out - just in case. Personally, I'd rather have it and not need it instead of finding out the hard way I should have had it with me.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:28 am I suggest carrying your actual passport with you any time you go out - just in case.
Why, other than supposedly one is required to have your passport with you at all times?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:13 pm Why, other than supposedly one is required to have your passport with you at all times?
Until we know just how strict the enforcement is going to be during this lockdown, if I get stopped for a police check and they ask to see my passport, I'm going to have mine. Whether anyone else has theirs is their own affair.

I don't intend to find out the hard way if I am being over cautious. For the time being, if I so much as set foot outside my door to take my dog for a walk, my face mask will be on and my passport will be in my pocket. And, as you said, it is a legal requirement anyway.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

So far I have not seen any police officers or encountered any checks anywhere I've been.

What leaving your Pattaya home “only when necessary” means in practice

By Barry Kenyon

July 20, 2021

Beginning Tuesday July 20, a lockdown of indeterminate length will be enforced in “dark red” Thai provinces which now include Chonburi and its favorite city Pattaya. Everyone is expected to remain in their homes unless a journey outside is necessary. Based on a reading of the Royal Gazette and on previous lockdowns, here are the most likely consequences.

A curfew will be enforced from 9 pm to 4 am. To be outside during these hours, you would need to show a document supporting exemption, for example a relevant air ticket. The (Thai) drivers of delivery vans, ambulances, etc., are exempt. Thailand has long experience of efficiently supervising curfews during many coups and crises over the years.

Shopping is allowed outside of curfew hours, until 8 pm, for basic necessities such as food and medicine. Many retail businesses will close and some “non-essential” sections in malls and supermarkets are likely to be roped off. Banks, vaccination centers, shops selling communication devices and essential public services (such as immigration and post offices) will remain open, although hours could be restricted in some local government departments such as the issuing of driving licences and the registration of land sales. If you have to go to a religious ceremony, such as a funeral, check with the monks first.

Dining in restaurants is now banned, although take-out and delivery remains an option till 8 pm. Coffee bars and snackeries will shut down for the duration. Drinking alcohol anywhere except in your own home is banned, although the purchase in retail outlets is still permitted, a change from the April 2020 early lockdown. Under a recent edict from the Chonburi governor, non-relatives should not visit your home for social reasons.

Travelling to work or for voluntary duties is permitted, although you should carry a relevant permission such as your work permit or a letter of authorization from a competent official. Unless the driver is solo, car or minibus occupants should wear a mask and hand cleansers should be available. A suggestion in April 2020 that people over 70 should refrain from travel anywhere without official dispensation has not been issued this time.

Travel is an ongoing issue and may well be the subject of more regulation from the authorities. Travel within the province is allowed only if “necessary” and checks on private and public vehicles are likely to increase. Inter-provincial travel will become near-impossible by public transport and private cars will become subject to strict inspection. To date, there has been no public mention of passes issued by the local authority for travellers with an urgent need to travel nationally. Other provinces may impose quarantine restrictions on travellers from dark red zones such as Chonburi and Pattaya. Indeed, some already have.

Hairdressers, salons, beauty shops, snooker halls, massage parlours and any venue which could be described as a leisure or non-essential business will need to close down unless specifically exempted, which is unlikely. Beaches, parks swimming pools and golf courses were closed for varying amounts of time in previous lockdowns. However, physical exercising in public is allowed, so it is possible that some specific areas may be left open. These could include, for example, the tracks around public reservoirs. Such details will be left to provincial decrees rather than instruction from central government. Best to assume everything is closed unless specifically and officially exempted.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/what-l ... ice-363963
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I think we should be clear on one thing. For whatever reason, many are assuming Pattaya's current strict rules are set to end 2 weeks after implementation on Monday, August 2.

There is no guarantee of that. I'm not sure where everybody is getting August 2 from. The decree does not specify August 2. It doesn't specify any date. It says "until further notice".

And the way things are going, my crystal ball tells me to expect the restrictions to become even more severe rather than being relaxed.

We will see, but be prepared in case my crystal ball does have it right.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Looks like my crystal ball was right . . .

More restrictions are now imposed for the Chonburi province - Pattaya's province. No telling how long this will last or whether even more restrictions are on the horizon.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Chonburi Governor releases more Covid-19 related restrictions and closures, effective until further notice

By Adam Judd

21 July 2021

The Chonburi Governor released an updated order this evening with more Covid-19 related restrictions and closures. The order is effective tomorrow, July 22nd, 2021, until further notice.

This follows the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration, or CCSA, stating more measures were being “suggested” for maximum control provinces this morning.

All prior closures and items are still in place.

Here are the new changes:

-Close all indoor and outdoor sports stadiums

-Close golf courses, mini-golf, and golf ranges

-Close libraries and book stores

-Close all public parks, gardens, botanical parks (like Nong Nooch)

-Close boxing courts/areas, boxing schools, even if outdoors

-Close all barbers/salons of all types

-Close nail shops

-Close tattoo shops

-Close any and types of competition fields/courts (includes tennis, volleyball, and badminton courts, all places for indoor and outdoor sports are to be closed)

-Close all types of pools, private, public, waterparks, and athletic/competition

-Close museums

-Close Culture centers, learning centers, science centers, art galleries, any sort of similar establishment

-Child development centers, preschools, child care closed

-Dance schools are closed

-Malls/Department stores can only be open for supermarket/medicine/vaccinations. It appears that restaurants in malls cannot open, even for take-away.

-Markets can only sell food, all other items (non-essential) are to be closed.

There was no mention of beaches or fishing parks in the order.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/21/c ... er-notice/
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Pattaya News wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:00 pm -Close boxing courts/areas, boxing schools, even if outdoors

-Close all barbers/salons of all types

-Close nail shops

-Close tattoo shops
I'm surprised these highly unimportant close contact businesses are still open anyway.
Who the hell needs a tattoo during a pandemic ? Closing them permanently would be the best solution.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Close all barbers
That's one I will miss if it goes on for very long.