Covid vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Covid vaccine

Post by Gaybutton »

Even if you trust those numbers, and I am certainly skeptical, which vaccine(s) were administered?

Nearly 90% of Bangkok residents get first jab

27 Aug, 2021

Almost 90% of Bangkok residents have received their first vaccine shot against Covid-19, according to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

BMA spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang said that a total of 6,717,824 people who live in Bangkok have received the first shot, accounting for 87% of the population.

A total of 1,591,453 people have been fully vaccinated, accounting for 27%.

Mr Pongsakorn insisted the BMA's plan to procure alternative vaccines for city residents remains in place but currently the city is being allocated more vaccines including Pfizer's mRNA type from the government for distribution.

He said people who registered for vaccination under the Thai Ruam Jai programme are expected to receive the second shot of AstraZeneca in September.

Dr Suksan Kittisupakorn, director of the BMA's Medical Office, said the BMA is in the process of procuring Moderna and Sinopharm vaccines for distribution and City Hall will increase its vaccination capacity when the alternative vaccines are ready for rollout.

Mr Pongsakorn said the Covid-19 situation in Bangkok is improving due to a high vaccination rate, proactive screening and isolation of patients with the virus from their communities.

He said people have a better understanding about the home/community isolation programme and have quicker access to care and treatment via the programme.

He said Bangkok may see some easing of restrictions to be tabled to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration today.

"There are two factors, which are the number of infections and vaccinations. Bangkok has a steady infection rate at 4,000 a day while vaccination is picking up," he said, adding that a mobile unit next week will begin providing vaccines to priority groups unable to register for inoculation.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -first-jab
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm not certain quite what this means. Many of us have received a first dose of AstraZeneca and are scheduled to a second dose. Until now I assumed that second dose would also be AstraZeneca. But reading this article, that second dose may very well turn out to be Pfizer. We'll see.

Thailand to mix and match AstraZeneca, Pfizer doses

by Apinya Wipatayotin

4 Sep, 2021

Thailand is planning to roll out a new vaccination initiative using a mix of AstraZeneca and Pfizer doses next month to combat Covid-19, according to the Public Health Ministry.

Dr Sophon Iamsirithavorn, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said the ministry's Covid-19 operation centre approved the AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccination plan.

The rollout is expected to begin next month after the delivery of Pfizer vaccine doses later this month, he said, adding the decision to do so was based on recommendations from a sub-committee on immunisation and new local and international research findings.

Under the new mix-and-match vaccination plan, people aged 18 and over will receive the AstraZeneca vaccine as their first shot and the Pfizer vaccine as their second after four to 12 weeks, Dr Sophon said.

The current mixed-dose vaccination uses the Sinovac vaccine as the first jab and the AstraZeneca as the second after three to four weeks.

"The mass rollout is planned for October when we have the Pfizer vaccine," Dr Sophon said. "About 10 million doses are scheduled to be delivered this month."

He said the AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccination initiative is currently in limited use. The Pfizer vaccine is administered as a second shot to vulnerable groups who received the AstraZeneca vaccine in June, he said.

Dr Sophon said the country is unlikely to procure additional Sinovac vaccine doses following the rollout of the AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccination initiative.

"We're waiting for the second generation of inactivated vaccine that can fight variants and is highly safe," he said. "We will consider buying this vaccine if children can use it."

He said recipients of two Sinovac vaccine doses will receive the AstraZeneca jab as a booster shot.

Dr Sophon said the country will have 15 million vaccine doses this month.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... izer-doses
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

6th Floor Central Festival….They will begin giving numbers at 11AM……Limited to first 300 people

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Was in Central today had a look at the vaccination line….they said they had 300 1st doses I asked a worker there how many people came for the 1st dose he said about 500….from what I saw I don’t doubt it.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:25 pm they said they had 300 1st doses I asked a worker there how many people came for the 1st dose he said about 500
I'd hate to be the guy who has to turn away 200 people.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

How many are fully vaccinated in Pattaya? Pick a number, any number

By Pattaya Mail

September 26, 2021

While 70 percent of eligible Pattaya residents have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, the failure to fully immunize them led to the postponement of the city’s reopening to foreign tourists, Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome said.

The true number of people vaccinated in Pattaya varies based on who is asked. Some say it’s 40 percent. Some say 70 percent. Some said 900,000 doses were needed. Some said 110,000.

The city vaccinates less than 4,000 people a day. But the number of people included in that 70 percent is far from the number of people actually living or working in the city. Sonthaya only counts adults with a legally registered household within the city limits, which ends at Sukhumvit Road to the east and is bounded on the south by the Najomtien Subdistrict border.

Currently, Sonthaya is claiming only 20,000 people remain who received just one of two vaccine doses and those people will get a second jab within a week. But that won’t change the outcome. Pattaya is not reopening in October.

Until then, the mayor said, the city will focus on holding events for Thai tourists.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ber-373425
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

So when the city opens with 70 % vaccinated then what?

Next day....Thousands and thousands of casual workers will arrive from the provinces looking for work.... probably unvaccinated.

TiT.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:54 pm Thousands and thousands of casual workers will arrive from the provinces looking for work.... probably unvaccinated.
There is no reason to think it will be like that. Of course there is also no reason to think it won't be like that . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

gerefan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:54 pm So when the city opens with 70 % vaccinated then what?
Phuket seems to have secured enough doses to reach 70% some time ago. Meanwhile is there anything showing Pattaya will reach 70% ahead of the rest of Thailand ? I know they would like to reach 70% and open, but that depends on vaccine supply.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:31 pm I know they would like to reach 70% and open, but that depends on vaccine supply.
It also depends on how many people live and work in Pattaya. Even if Pattaya had enough vaccine to supply the entire world, that wouldn't matter very much if they continue to refuse to vaccinate everyone in Pattaya, not just those born in the Chonburi province and farang expats. I have no idea why they are doing that, but there it is. Guess what is on my "I Don't Get It" list.

Under current policy, in my opinion claiming that 70% of the population has been vaccinated is at best, shall we say, misleading.

What good does it do to claim that 70% of the population has been vaccinated when so many people have not been vaccinated at all? According to the September 28 "Headline News" approximately half the number of people actually living in Pattaya cannot get vaccinated and I have seen nothing to indicate the policy might change.

See: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10744&p=105451#p105451 - 5 minutes in.