Covid visa extensions now available until July 25

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Covid visa extensions now available until July 25

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand Covid visa extensions available until July 25

By Pattaya Mail

May 22, 2022

Thai immigration authorities have given a further lease of life to Covid-related visa extension applications beyond May 24. The last application date for international tourists who are unable (or unwilling) to leave the country is now Monday July 25. The extended period is related to Thailand’s state of emergency which has recently been extended a further two months: Covid’s national status remains a pandemic at least until the end of July when it is again subject to review.

The latest order to immigration offices nationwide contains no new instructions. It is still necessary for applicants to fill in an affidavit confirming the reason, for example lack of flights to the preferred destination or high prevalence of Covid infections in the home country. The order also refers to the need for applicants to seek embassy support, although it is widely recognized that most diplomatic posts decline to offer confirmation why their nationals aren’t going home.

Although Thailand’s land borders are reopening to tourist traffic, the process is not yet complete. For example, Myanmar’s frontiers remain closed to most foreigners and preflight approval is still necessary for a tourist visa to enter by air. In fact, many Covid-related visa extenders are Europeans who have been enjoying a prolonged stay in Thailand for over two years without the need to apply for an expat visa.

Assuming the Covid extension discretion is not extended further beyond July, the last of the successful applicants will be able to remain in Thailand until late September. Most immigration offices give an initial 30 days, technically an “under review” status, which requires a further visit to receive the second month. However, the cost is a one-off 1,900 baht payable on initial registration. There is no requirement to show proof of insurance or vaccination.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... -25-399298
Jun

Re: Covid visa extensions now available until July 25

Post by Jun »

Not much logic to this.

I wonder how many people genuinely cannot get home now ? Perhaps the odd tourist from the DPRK.

Presumably the arbitrary choice of visas entitled to this remains ? If you're on a 90 day visa, no entitlement. A 60 day visa extended to 90 can get the covid extensions. Or that's how it was in February.

The person extending could be unvaccinated AND uninsured. Yet new arrivals need both ?

Also, it's all announced at the last minute.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:44 pm Not much logic to this.
Why am I not surprised? It seems that no matter what they come up with, they're not happy unless it includes plenty of confusion.

I think you're right - how many countries, and which ones, still have Covid rules that make it very difficult for their citizens to return home from foreign countries? I see this extension akin to inviting certain people to a party only because you know they're not going to come. Kind of like Stephen Hawking's party for time travelers from the future - and for some strange reason no one showed up.

Good or bad, if due to Covid you're remaining in Thailand, as of the time of this post you've got two additional months that you may not have expected to get. And don't be surprised if by July 25 it gets extended yet again.

I would imagine some are angry about this rather than grateful if they are among those who made arrangements to leave Thailand and now there is no turning back, only to find out they could have stayed on at least as long as an additional two months.

I'd be interested to see reliable numbers of people currently in Thailand who are legitimately eligible for this extension. I could be wrong, of course, but I doubt it's very many. I'm not imagining throngs of people creating long lines at immigration to get this extension. We'll see.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I thought one of the traditional objectives of immigration policy was to prevent people using short term tourist visas to stay long term.

In the case of the covid extensions, presumably some people will have utilised it to stay in Thailand for a couple of years by now.
Although, only those who were lucky enough to arrive on the correct visa.

A couple of Visa agencies told me that I could get a covid extension for 24,000 baht (if I remember correctly), despite my visa no longer being eligible after the January announcement.
So 1900 for the visa, a modest fee for the agency and presumably a massive wedge of tea money for immigration to overlook the eligibility issue.
That 60 day extension price was even more expensive than getting a bent 12 month retirement visa.
So perhaps the increased level of tea money might explain a few policy decisions ?

[If I have used the wrong visa terminology, I don't need a lecture from the usual suspects]
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:53 pm [If I have used the wrong visa terminology, I don't need a lecture from the usual suspects]
When it comes to that, on this board there is only one . . .

Jun wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:53 pm I thought one of the traditional objectives of immigration policy was to prevent people using short term tourist visas to stay long term.
Maybe because there is such a shortage of foreign tourists, the idea of letting those already in Thailand, spending their money, continue to stay is looking more attractive.