GoGo Bars in Pattaya a Thing of the Past?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: GoGo Bars in Pattaya a Thing of the Past?

Post by Jun »

I wonder how many board members have been inside a gogo bar in 2022 ? Poll created for that purpose.

My last visit to one in Pattaya was in early December. That was Nice Boys, which isn't my favourite at the best of times. When they had boys in jeans, avoiding the stage, I didn't go back. No other Pattaya gogo bars opened until I left the City in February. Had Winner Boys opened, I would have probably visited immediately.

I set foot in several Bangkok gogo bars in February, but none were even close to tempting me to stay. My last drink in a Bangkok gogo bar was probably in January 2020, when Fresh Boys still had cute lads in wonderful thin white underwear. That's worth 350 baht. The wrong type of boy in jeans is not.

If gogo bars do become a thing of the past, I'll miss the good ones, Winner Boys, Euro Boys, Funny Boys etc. However, I shall cope.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I will always go to go go bars as long as they’re open. I still like seeing who I’m offing. Or at least off one time and establish a contact for future meets.

My last trip I had disappointments using the apps. Especially Planet Romeo. The photo looked like a real stud, but when I met him he was a real flamer. It was the same guy but very disappointing. I even asked if I could tip him less, lol. He laughed about that too.

I miss the in bar action, like Good Boys. But this is the new reality we’re in, and we have to adapt to it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Rocket wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:48 am I will always go to go go bars as long as they’re open. I still like seeing who I’m offing.
That's if there will still be any boys to off.

Some are posting complaints that there were only a very few boys in the go-go bars. Well, of course. They're not going to work in the bars if there aren't enough customers for them to make any money. They make their money by being taken off. They don't get taken off if there are not enough customers. And in the bars with pushy mama-sans - why are they pushing? Because many times if the boy they push gets taken off, the mama-san gets a kickback from the boy's tip.

It's a vicious cycle. If there are only a smattering of boys, the customers don't come. And if the customers don't come, there are only a smattering of boys. If the bars were full of customers, you can bet they would also be full of boys - just like "the golden years". But the way things are currently going, unless there is improvement, most of these boys are likely to end up right back on the rice farm. And many boys that were working in the go-go bars before Covid - how do you think most of them ended up and where they are now?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:14 am It's a vicious cycle. If there are only a smattering of boys, the customers don't come. And if the customers don't come, there are only a smattering of boys. If the bars were full of customers, you can bet they would also be full of boys - just like "the golden years".
Totally Agree...this is the bottom line.

What irks me a bit (not a lot, just a bit) is the fact that a large percentage of farang have gravitated to using the dating apps, which consequently diminishes boy bar revenues in the process, while still complaining about the shortage of boys working the public venues???

It only makes sense that the "boys" leverage the use of the apps to make their work more palatable and profitable, without the need to stand on a gogo stage all night, that's perfectly understandable. For the farang punter this is a tremendous advantage as well, e.g., not having to pay for drinks and bar fines in-and-by-itself reduces the cost of "sex-play" substantially.

So, in summary, I don't blame anyone, the boys or the punter, for their choice between "the bars" or the "apps", but when I hear the very same punters who use the apps constantly complaining about the diminished bar scene, especially the host and gogo bars who rely on their patronage, it raises a few hairs on the back of my head.

I guess that old saying..."you can't have your cake and eat it too" comes into play big time.

The dynamics of the gay scene are changing because of this, and it's not likely to stop any time soon. You can already see it. Just look at the busiest gay area right in now Pattaya (Jomtien Complex) for a glimpse of what the future has to hold. 30 bars in operation now, and according to what many punters are reporting, it's almost a rare event when you see a boy leaving one of the bars to have a short time with a punter. The farang punters (many, not all) have already had their short times for the day and/or have a boy lined up on their favorite "app" for later in the evening. thus, the bars have been forced to transition into places to "socialize" versus "chase boys".

What I really love is when I watch a farang as he remains glued to his smartphone screen as if he's under some sort of trance - and at the same time starts complaining about a shortage of the boys on stage at his favorite gogo. Go figure!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:01 am What I really love is when I watch a farang as he remains glued to his smartphone screen
And he's probably busy looking at the apps . . .

The apps, while I really like them, also have their negative aspects. Often the boy of interest is not online when you are, and it can be hours or days before you make contact, let alone have a live chat. Also, I believe the apps really have played a part in the lack of go-go boys. I think most of us agree the apps killed the boys-at-the-beach scene. I very much miss that, but most of the boys didn't like going to the beach to try to hook up with a farang for several reasons, possibly the main one being that so many of them go to extraordinary lengths to avoid a suntan. For whatever reason, a great many Thais, including the boys, despise the possibility of getting a suntan. Also, I have seen some, not many but some, boys using the same photos on the apps that they've been using ever since the apps first came into existence.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger, can I ask you the last time you’ve been to a GoGo or Supertown during the evening hours?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:07 pm Dodger, can I ask you the last time you’ve been to a GoGo or Supertown during the evening hours?
In the Spring of 2019.

I can still hear myself snoring.