The Future of Entertainment in Bars

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: The Future of Entertainment in Bars

Post by Undaunted »

The complex has no shortage of Show Bars with lip syncing ladyboys, drag shows, and other so old and boring forms of entertainment.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:22 amThey know what attracts us to their bars, and yet they insist on putting on these shows anyway. Why?
I presume we are not their target market.

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:22 amWhenever I have been in a go-go bar when a show is about to begin, that's when I leave.
If a bar has shows, I usually check when they are and try to time my visit to avoid them.

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:22 amOne more thing. If you've got street touts grabbing my arm and/or trying to high pressure me into going into your bar - that's the best way I know to get me to never go into your bar.
When confronted with touts, I keep walking.
That's whether it's a gogo bar or an Indian tailor. In the case of the Indian tailors, I avoid all eye contact and walk straight through their outstretched hand as if it isn't there. I might be slightly more polite with the gogo touts, on the basis there is a slim chance I might actually visit their bar.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:38 pm The complex has no shortage of Show Bars with lip syncing ladyboys, drag shows, and other so old and boring forms of entertainment.
I know you don’t like the place, BUT, just imagine what the gay scene in Pattaya would be like without Jomtien Complex.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:42 am
Undaunted wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:38 pm The complex has no shortage of Show Bars with lip syncing ladyboys, drag shows, and other so old and boring forms of entertainment.
I know you don’t like the place, BUT, just imagine what the gay scene in Pattaya would be like without Jomtien Complex.
I agree with Undaunted. I think Jomtien Complex would be much better off without the "lip syncing ladyboys, drag shows, and other so old and boring forms of entertainment." For sure none of that appeals to me.

Maybe I'm wrong. Do any of you go to Jomtien Complex because you like the lip syncing ladyboys, drag shows, etc, and that's what you're looking for or do you go for everything else Jomtien Complex has to offer?

If I go to bars these days, I'll probably go to Jomtien Complex, but if I am hearing any of those shows (they usually have their loudspeakers set as high as they will go) I'll move on to a bar as far away from that noise as possible or just leave.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Almost all of the bars in Jomtien are totally free from ladyboys.

I've not yet been a customer at The Venue. I don't rule out seeing it once.
I believe the top end of the soi might now have another cabaret bar. Hopefully they don't pollute the surrounding area with the music etc. If they do, then I can move down the street.
bi-top

Post by bi-top »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:22 am
You want to entertain me in your bar? I'll tell you how. Have your boys wearing the tiniest thongs and g-strings you can find. When they're on stage have them actually dancing and trying to entice the customers instead of doing the "one knee shuffle", staring at themselves in the mirror, staring at their mobile phones, and generally acting as if the customers are merely part of the furniture. Keep the music volume down to a reasonable level and turn off your fucking strobe lights. You want to entertain me? That's how. You want me to be a customer in your bar? That's how. You want me to be a repeat customer - a frequently repeating customer? That's how.
Winner Boys - first night back on stage.
Guys danced a little but laughed, made each other laugh, and tried to engage customers. One boy is truly the entertainer and kept the others laughing (until he was offed of course).
No phones on stage that I saw
Not making uncomfortable penetrating eye contact, but looking and smiling at customers
Music volume down to be able to talk to the customer sitting behind me.

Now for my "what I would like to see". The locked-door gentleman's club concept for boy bars. Why does it work so well for straight/girly bars but no one wants to implement it in the boy bars? I was told that there are some lease restrictions against it at JC, but I don't know if the source was knowledgeable.

The small gentleman's clubs make it with 5-7 girls, although obviously, the more they have the better. Things like "buy a guy 5 shots and his clothes come off". I am not a bar owner and never will be, so there are certainly a million things I don't understand. But like @gaybutton said a second ago ... It is on my "I just don't get it list".

Imagine a resurgence in the Winner Boys area of Sunee with a half dozen "gentleman-club-styled" clubs.
Jun

Post by Jun »

bi-top wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:37 pmNow for my "what I would like to see". The locked-door gentleman's club concept for boy bars. Why does it work so well for straight/girly bars but no one wants to implement it in the boy bars? I was told that there are some lease restrictions against it at JC, but I don't know if the source was knowledgeable.

The small gentleman's clubs make it with 5-7 girls, although obviously, the more they have the better. Things like "buy a guy 5 shots and his clothes come off".
Who needs a locked door ? Just in between Sunee and Walking street, there are a few girlie bars where the clothes are off and there's no locked door. In one case, the bar has a curtain over the door and if anyone is walking past as someone else is going in, the full nudity is visible from in the street.

Well, technically, they are wearing a skirt. Except it's like a very thin mosquito net and it's hitched up so high that it doesn't cover the areas that a skirt would normally cover. So effectively full nudity. Draught beer about 129 baht.
Rumour has it the offs and tips are quite high, but I have no interest in testing that. What these bars do is give their customers some reason to go in the bar in the first place. Full on nudity, competitive prices and definitely no cabaret shows.

That's the kind of business model I would like to see in a gay gogo bar.

[Note: All observations were pre-covid.]
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:04 pm What these bars do is give their customers some reason to go in the bar in the first place. Full on nudity, competitive prices and definitely no cabaret shows.
I am probably in the minority on this, but actually full nudity turns me off. I just don't like it. I prefer the boys to at least be wearing something - doesn't have to be much, but something. For me, that is much more appealing than full nudity. I like the tiny underwear vastly more than full nudity.
bi-top

Post by bi-top »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:14 pm
Jun wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:04 pm What these bars do is give their customers some reason to go in the bar in the first place. Full on nudity, competitive prices and definitely no cabaret shows.
I am probably in the minority on this, but actually full nudity turns me off. I just don't like it. I prefer the boys to at least be wearing something - doesn't have to be much, but something. For me, that is much more appealing than full nudity. I like the tiny underwear vastly more than full nudity.
I like the full nudity ... or at least the underwear at the ankles while they are having a drink with me. lol

Otherwise I agree.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I'd at least like to see one bar try full on nudity, or at least have it as part of a show that's worth watching.

However, if we must have underwear, the following are good: