Need Thailand's required entry insurance? Check this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Need Thailand's required entry insurance? Check this

Post by Gaybutton »

I have no idea whether this would be suitable for anyone's needs, but have a look and decide for yourself.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/17/n ... at-option/
Jun

Re: Need Thailand's required entry insurance? Check this

Post by Jun »

They offer plans for $10,000 or $50,000 coverage.
That seems far too low to function as a proper insurance policy and cover a major accident requiring expensive treatment.
To me, the whole idea of insurance is to provide cover for worst case unforeseen medical expenses.
Certain UK websites recommend £1~2million MINIMUM medical cover.

I presume it was designed purely to meet the stupid Thai government covid requirements. I thought those had been abolished.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:29 pm Certain UK websites recommend £1~2million MINIMUM medical cover.
It's hard to say just how much insurance is adequate. If anyone from the UK had been in that terrible pub fire they would have needed much more than that by the time they were through. On the other hand, nothing happens to most people in Thailand for a holiday. How do you decide just how much is needed?

By the way, Covid is on the rise again in Thailand, so if it were me, I would want insurance that covers Covid whether it is a requirement or not. Just the other day when I was in Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital there is a huge sign at the entrance informing people that all the Covid beds are full and they will need either to find another hospital or accept treatment as an outpatient.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:00 pmOn the other hand, nothing happens to most people in Thailand for a holiday. How do you decide just how much is needed?
Deciding how much cover I need usually isn't a big problem.
I go to a price comparison website and they will offer a number of policies, all of which offer £5m or £10m cover.
Intuitively, I think that's in the right ballpark.
$50,000 is not.

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:00 pm Covid is on the rise again in Thailand, so if it were me, I would want insurance that covers Covid whether it is a requirement or not. Just the other day when I was in Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital there is a huge sign at the entrance informing people that all the Covid beds are full and they will need either to find another hospital or accept treatment as an outpatient.
The last time I had a proper look at a Thai covid policy, I think they had an upper limit of $100,000 for claims and they only covered medical treatment, not enforced quarantine. So that failed at both extremes.
These days, UK travel insurance policies appear to treat Covid no differently to any other kind of ailment and offer covid cover on similar terms to everything else.
That's exactly how it should be.

My odds of dying from something that isn't covid in the next 12 months are about 1 in 200. The odds of me catching covid and dying from it are perhaps 1 in 1500, although that's a very rough figure.
Therefore, I want medical insurance that covers everything & for insurance purposes, it seems covid is no longer special.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

? The Thailand Pass was dropped July 1st and with it the covid insurance requirement IF you meet the proof of vaccination or test guidelines.