International Driving Permit IDP

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

International Driving Permit IDP

Post by Jun »

I've never actually driven a car in Thailand, but got an IDP last year so at least I had the option.

That cost about £5, was the 1947 version and lasts 1 year.

Apparently the 1968 version is now approved, which lasts for 3 years. Far more convenient. £5.50.
Gaybutton

Re: International Driving Permit IDP

Post by Gaybutton »

Since you brought it up, I'll remind everyone that in order to drive legally with an International Driving Permit you must also carry a valid driving license from your home country. Without it, the International Driving Permit is invalid.

Also, if you rent a car or motorbike in Thailand, do not ever let the rental company hold your passport or your home country license. Some may ask, but give them only a photocopy. If they insist on the actual passport, refuse, walk away, and rent somewhere else or do without. If you do rent, make sure the vehicle comes with insurance.

If you are in Thailand for a holiday, I suggest renting a vehicle only if it is truly necessary. Otherwise I think you are much better off with taxis or apps such as Bolt or GrabRide, or even hiring a guide. With a rental, if there is an accident you are looking at a lot of time, trouble, and probably expense, especially if the police decide you were at fault. It can definitely be a costly holiday 'ruiner'. And if the police determine you were at fault and property was damaged, or someone was hurt or killed, time and expense is only the beginning of your problems. And if you have been drinking, now you are in major trouble. Don't assume you can bribe your way out of these problems either. In the past, that was almost a given. Not anymore.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:22 pm Apparently the 1968 version is now approved, which lasts for 3 years. Far more convenient. £5.50.
Or until the expiry of your UK Licence, which for those of us over 70 is every three years.
So the chances of getting a FULL 3 years are remote unless the date exactly coincide!
Jun

Post by Jun »

gerefan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:27 pmOr until the expiry of your UK Licence, which for those of us over 70 is every three years.
So the chances of getting a FULL 3 years are remote unless the date exactly coincide!
Yes. I've just discovered that today.
Whilst my paper license expires when I'm 70, in the next decade, the photocard part of it is renewed every 10 years. Mine expires in Feb 2024, so I now have an IDP which might do about 1.6 trips to Thailand, instead of the 3 that I was expecting.
At £5.50, the only problem is detouring to a Post Office that actually issues them and then queuing.

Incidentally, it's only taken approximately 54 years to approve the 1968 IDP for use in Thailand.
It appears the decision was made before I obtained a 1949 IDP last year, but UK advice hadn't been updated at that time.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:19 am At £5.50, the only problem is detouring to a Post Office that actually issues them and then queuing.
All UK Post Offices now issue them...at least near me!
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Post Office has an online tool to show which branches do them. The four branches closest to me are not listed.
Rather than trying my luck by queueing to ask at the closest branch, I wait until I'm going close to one of the others.
I was wondering how it's worthwhile doing all that work to sell a £5.50 document.

I also wonder what the point of the thing is. I think the languages in it are English, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, German, Italian and French.

So I'm guessing the most convenient for the Thai authorities is English, which can also be found on my main license, along with what appears to be exactly the same driving categories.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:08 am I also wonder what the point of the thing is. I think the languages in it are English, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, German, Italian and French.
Out of curiosity, are you planning to drive in Thailand? If yes, car, motorbike, both? Are you going anyplace special or just driving around?

If others reading this are planning to drive in Thailand during your next holiday, I'm curious about that too. What kind of vehicle? Have you driven in Thailand before? Did you encounter any problems?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:24 amOut of curiosity, are you planning to drive in Thailand?
I want the option of driving a car in order to get to some of the more out of the way attractions. I have no intention of driving long distances, since buses, trains and planes are more suitable for that.

I've never driven in Thailand before. The only independent transport I have tried was a bicycle in Nong Khai.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:54 pm I've never driven in Thailand before.
As long as you have a GPS or access to Google Maps, you shouldn't have any problems finding your destination.
Jun

Post by Jun »

UK citizens need to go to a Paypoint franchise rather than the Post Office for IDPs from April.

"PayPoint Plc is pleased to announce that it has been awarded the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) contract for providing International Driving Permits across its extensive network of retailer partners across the UK."

https://data.fca.org.uk/artefacts/NSM/G ... 46-en.html