Passport Control Express Lane

Anything and everything about Thailand
Asia Traveler

Passport Control Express Lane

Post by Asia Traveler »

I have not been to Thailand in a few years but there was once an express lane for passport control. Access could be purchased or was allow due to age or disability I think.
Anyone know if it is still in operation and where I could find information about it? I have a trip coming up in January and in the past passport control lines were a mess.
gerefan

Re: Passport Control Express Lane

Post by gerefan »

pong

Post by pong »

Yes, myself now having passes the glorious age where it also fits (though once before I was also invited to use it) have passed by a few days ago. It is the far right hand side-in fact via the ´for Thai´ channel can be better reached.
Not that it helps 1 minute-as then the wait for luggage is simply longer-and you also cannot sit there.
How it works for handicap etc dk-is likely in that link to be found.
If you pay for it, you get a kind of sticker to hand over to immi-officer. I remember there was also a line for people in wheelchairs.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I have not yet had to suffer an excessive queue at BKK immigration. I only recall one case where my bag was on the conveyor by the time I got through immigration.
So I don't see any need to pay about £30 for a fast track service when on the past track record, I won't get out of the airport any quicker.
£30 is rather steep if there is no significant net benefit.

For comparison, I did pay about £5 for the fast track security when departing from a UK airport on a European trip earlier this year. I'd read horror stories of big queues after airports had laid off staff during the pandemic and not replaced them quickly enough. As it turned out, I both normal and fast track service was fine on a Sunday morning.
However, buying peace of mind for £5 is far easier than paying £30 to fix a problem I haven't yet encountered.

One case where I do pay for the premium service is with Air Asia departing from DMK. For a far more modest fee, you get fast check in, choice of seats and a free meal. That has a good cost/benefit ratio. (At least that's how it was pre-pandemic)

For those who have arrived at BKK in recent months, how was the non fast track immigration queue ? Even if you qualified for fast track, I presume you could see if the normal queue is extending onto the ramp.
Jun

Post by Jun »

On another forum, a member reports recently arriving off an EVA flight and going straight through immigration with no queue.
So I imagine he had plenty of time to admire the baggage carousel.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

Many thanks everyone for their input and gerefan for the link. My research at Suvarnabhumi airport site directed me to my airline and my airline ANA said not available until 70 etc. Klook (from gerefan) does sell this service. I plan on using it for my entry as I have many years of memories of huge long hot lines along with many line cutters.
Again thank you all.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I arrived at BKK last week.
There was no queue to speak of and I barely had time to get my documents out before reaching the immigration officer. I was through very quickly.

Which is more than can be said for my luggage. It was 70 minutes from landing to receiving my bag and very little of that was spent taxiing.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

Arrived BKK 12 January and used the Klook Service for Fast Trak that gerefan gave me the link to. Their service worked just as stated. They met me on the jetway, I ask to go to money exchange first so I can some small money for tips, and then to FastTrak lane. There was one person in front of me. They processed my e-visa with no issue and I was on my way to baggage claim in five minutes. Baggage arrived about ten minutes laster and off I went to check in at the hotel car desk Exit B Gate 5. The quickly located my reservation we walk outside to my waiting car from The Tarntawan. Wow that was the fastest arrival I have ever had at BKK. On the road in less than 30 minutes is my guess. I did not get to see how long the lines for regular immigration was so I can not say if things have gotten busier but I was happy to pay Klook to ensure a quick and painless are possible arrival. Klook cost to get FastTrak was $40 USD
pong

Post by pong »

This trip arr Swampy 2 days ago: in a AB380, a few mins after 2 such other ones has landed (EK and QR). So I am entitled to this fast lane now=it was checked by another officer just before-there were just 2 before me in that line, but 1 had some probs and it took ages.
When at belt first=C=beezness lugg just came on, but it took well over 30 mins before mine came on. That's probably just chance-whatever container they first empty out. I do not have any airline privilege anymore for faster handling etc.
At low level station train also just left when I came down the stairs=12 mins more to wait. All in all well over 90 mins from deplaning till train left, one of the longest I have on memory. With not a single min. gained by this fast lane.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:05 am This trip arr Swampy 2 days ago: in a AB380
I am guessing that, in itself, might account for some of the problems. So many people arriving at the same time, especially if more than one 380 arrives at about the same time - and the airports just are not prepared to efficiently deal with that many people all at once. No fun after a long haul flight - no matter what class seat you had.

When you get right down to it, ideally there shouldn't even be a need for things like fast tracking. Maybe one of these days the airports will figure out how to get their arrivals act together.

Flying used to be an enjoyable experience. Now, for too many people, instead it's a nightmare.