Massage Shops Thread

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Massage Shops Thread

Post by Jun »

Firstly, not everyone has the same expectations of a massage.

Some are quite clearly going just for sex, whilst others, including myself expect a massage.

Shameless Mac neatly categorised massage shops here: https://shamelessmacktwo.travel.blog/massage-glossary/

One of my most memorable massages was at what he would describe as a "Type 1" shop, with mixed gender staff, in Vientiane. I saw a group of staff sitting outside a shop and walked up to the one that caught my eye, asking him for a massage.
One lady commented to the other on my choice, possibly assuming no farang speaks a word of Lao. The words chuck wow were included.

The massage area was curtained off. The massage was very good. He willingly undressed and I still remember his wonderful slim body, illuminated by the morning sun over the curtains.
I hadn't been planning for a morning massage, so when it came to the time for the tip, I counted up all my kip and it amounted to almost $10. This was in Lao and over 10 years ago. I figured I ought to tip more, but had noticed that after a period of USD weakness, LAK were preferred in most places. So I tipped in LAK.
The beaming smile and eye contact indicated that he was delighted. On my next visit, he rushed out of the chair to greet me and we had a repeat performance, with a larger tip.

On a visit in 2019, the shop was a shadow of its former self. They had something like 3 large male and overfed staff dossing around on their phones all day.

So when an opportunity shows up, take it, as this might not be there in future.

Even places like Chiang Mai have hardly any male massage options. There is one shop currently being criticised on another thread. When I was there in 2020, I dismissed this due to the "wrong type" of boy and poor customer reviews. High minimum tips paid up front can hardly encourage performance.
The only other place in which I saw a male masseur was a mixed gender place in a shopping mall. Even there, the one guy was only seen once and I walked past every day.

So, in Pattaya and Bangkok, we are very fortunate to have a wide choice.
Gaybutton

Re: Massage Shops Thread

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:45 pm Even places like Chiang Mai have hardly any male massage options.
Don't be so sure. Sometimes these places are hidden and much more discreet because their usual clientele is male locals. No matter where you are in Thailand, even small towns, you never know what might be available. How do you find out? Ask hotel staff and, better still, taxi drivers. If anything you are looking for is available, they'll know. It doesn't hurt to ask while also quietly handing over a couple hundred baht . . .

If you get the answer you hope to get, you might ask if more than just one such venue is available.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:51 pm Don't be so sure. Sometimes these places are hidden and much more discreet because their usual clientele is male locals. No matter where you are in Thailand, even small towns, you never know what might be available. How do you find out? Ask hotel staff and, better still, taxi drivers.
OK, so nothing around that I could find via Google or keeping my eyes peeled when walking.

I shall try asking hotel staff and maybe taxi drivers (Bolt).

One thing is sure, outside of Pattaya and Bangkok, less than 1% of the massage shops I see have male staff. The hidden ones are another question.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:05 pm I shall try asking hotel staff and maybe taxi drivers (Bolt).
I'm not trying to pry, but I'm curious. Where are you?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:09 pm I'm not trying to pry, but I'm curious. Where are you?
I'm currently in Pattaya, but will be travelling elsewhere in Thailand shortly. Including to some towns with no known gay scene.

I won't post an itinerary here, as that means the entire Internet can read it.
I'm happy to share details privately with people I have met, including yourself. Or after the event, with board posts.

Places where I don't recall seeing any male staff in any massage shops include Mae Sot, Lampang, Phitsanulok, Sukothai, Nakhon Sawan, Lop Buri, Ayyuthaya, Nakhon Ratchisima, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Surin, Nang Rong, Kanchanaburi and Surat Thani. Hua Hin had a very large number of massage shops, yet on my last visit, I didn't see a single male masseur.
Ao Nang beach had one shop, which I visited.
Khon Kaen had one with male staff. They showed me to a room and asked me to wait. After 30 minutes of waiting, I left.

Now some of these places may have had shops with male masseurs, but I didn't find them.
So the excellent choice to be found in Bangkok and Pattaya isn't common elsewhere in Thailand.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Another excellent massage at Somjit. The standards here are really good, with high quality massage, good extras and more or less lasting the advertised duration.
One of the few massage shops remaining near Tuk Com.

Others include Relax at Me, which I rarely visit, due to inevitable disappointment and Helios, which I haven't yet visited.

The one around the corner from Salt & Pepper has closed. Totally predictable, with better competition nearby.
Royal House appears to be closed

There is one more still open, usually with one older guy working there
The two new shops in the area have female staff.
pong

Post by pong »

Ch Mai certainly did have at least 4-5 dedicated m2m shops, more BKK style as Pty, when I was there last and some have survived the covid onslaught-as they also mostly rely on local clients. With BKK style I mean they only offer Thai/oil in private rooms, no foot. etc or in curtained off separations. With a willing choice and no masseur assigned by ( in most normal such shops you cannot really choose the one you treat).
Lao guys are much prevalent now in the fairly newly opened many shops in the Sapan Kwai area here in BKK-yesterday eve I had a gorgeous good one from Savannakhet. Funny too.
There is a very recent thread on gayguides forum with reviews of some PTy msg shops, but I guess most of you following this forum also follow that one, so will have seen it. In this visit after so many yrs I have finally taken the brave step to also re-visit Pty/JOmtien again in a few weeks, just a few days to try out if it works out for me.
pong

Post by pong »

And as I have stopped travelling around-have been to all 88 chiangwats anyway in he past:
there is still the site thaimassageboy.com, which advertises dedicated m2m shops and they also have such in Khon Kaen and not sure if still on, Phitsanuloke. Udon certainly also has it.
Perhaps those Thai guys who aim for a masseur job know all that and hence o to BKK -or maybe those few other places, anyway?
Jun

Post by Jun »

pong wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:52 am Khon Kaen and not sure if still on, Phitsanuloke. Udon certainly also has it.
After all your travels, 3 shops is a low count. Similar to what I find.
I described my visit to the shop in KK. I failed to find anything in Phitsanulok or Udon. Must try harder.

One other place I found one was Ubon Rachathani. However, the boy I liked was booked for another customer and the remaining lad was a very large muscular type.
Whilst it has nothing to do with massage, in Ubon, the hotel receptionist visited my room, so I ticked off one more item on the "to do" list.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:39 am the hotel receptionist visited my room, so I ticked off one more item on the "to do" list.
A bird in the hand . . .